Safe Chat — Friday 26th February, 9PM GMT

The original users of bitcoin were very concerned about it. Privacy and decentralisation are core to why bitcoin exists at all.

I get that folks in this space are all about the money now. It is packed full of speculators, hoping to become the next millionaire and attract some VC or ICO money. That doesn’t mean they should be our target audience though.

Users passionate about decentralisation, privacy, security and free speech will be early users. They will get it. They will make the effort to use it and tell other people about it. We must remember this.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how it works in terms of the legislation, but I think one of the subtle differences with Safe (and Solid) is the shift from businesses collecting and storing our data, to our allowing access and giving permission for processing.

Another point for UK users is that government are likely going to throw the doors open, and move away from GDPR. This is currently speculation but the signs are clear (e.g. see the advert for the next head of the ICO).

1 Like

Yeah but I guess you are thinking of the scenario where the user data is handed to the org, and then they just choose to store it on the network, whereas what I’m talking about is the scenario where that handover never happens, the keys stay with the individual, and they access the services of the org in a decentralized way, and remain anonymous.

GDPR actually does also vaguely gesture towards data portability as an aspiration, but with no mechanics as to how it might actually happen… and Safe may well actually finally provide that!

2 Likes

GDPR is meant to protect personal information, so that is very much aligned with Safe. I’m sure if the law were to be drafted today it would be fine, the problem is the time lag. So hopefully it’s something that will be clarified in time.

If the UK wants to keep exchanging data with the EU we can’t afford to diverge very far from the GDPR. It looks as though the EU has granted us ‘data adequacy’ for now (still being discussed), but that could change if e.g. the UK makes a deal to send personal data to the US.

1 Like

True - in any sensible scenario it should be fine since the goals align rather well! But the world is not always a sensible place, and I wouldn’t use that as a selling point just yet.

1 Like

From 30 mins of searching I can’t find anything new since I last looked at it 3 years ago. There are certain areas of GDPR that are seemingly incompatible with all P2P systems partly because of how it defines ‘data controllers’ and ‘data processers’ which is based on a 1990s world of data bureaus and client-server architectures. But I can’t find information about any prosecutions or court cases so I guess the situation is the same as it was back then - a grey area - which is encouraging in a way because blockchain is a lot bigger now than it was then.

1 Like

I think that there is some push for the rules on where data is located to be relaxed (maybe so long as it is encrypted). I think there’s a lobbying effort but am not sure. I think the area is still in its infancy legally, and will be subject to revision and flexibility - the EU itself has initiatives funding decentralised data storage, user control etc. so we’ll just have to watch and learn, while pushing the boundaries of what’s possible.

1 Like

The key idea of the GDPR is to allow individuals to have control of their own personal data, which includes the right of data portability, the right not to have your data processed in countries with lax privacy laws without your consent, and the right of erasure. Most privacy folks I know think it’s a good law, as applied to cloud, Google and Facebook where those provisions make good sense.

But on Safe and blockchains erasure is impossible and you can’t control the location (except on private blockchains). However, that really shouldn’t matter because those features promote privacy anonymity and security, but in a different way.

Anyway, I’m not too worried about it. The authorities have many other legal devices at their disposal if they really wanted to attack Safe and would be unlikely to use a law designed to promote privacy.

2 Likes

Ransomware is a good angle. Attacks up by about a third and demands doubled last year. I believe Safe is pretty much ransomware-proof unless your datamap gets encrypted. Can you keep a backup datamap offline I wonder?

I think you’re fine because data maps are immutable, pointed to by a mutable sequence, so if malware changes anything you can roll back to an earlier version.

So long as you have your keys (credentials) you have access to your data.

1 Like

Absolutely you could.

Spot on and the mutable sequence is all crypto signed, so unforgable. We should be good, very good.

7 Likes

I was hoping you’d say that! But could the mutable sequence be encrypted by ransomware?

Before data could be deleted I don’t think there’s any way for malware to hold data hostage if you have your keys.

With deletable private data, we may have opened a can of worms in this respect. Perhaps that’s a mistake?

4 Likes

Not a mistake necessarily but a vulnerability perhaps.

Which is more important:

• the absolute guarantee of access to your private data, or
  • the ability to erase something which is private in order to reclaim some cost of storage?

There is so much noise in Crypto that shouting is necessary to be heard. However, I don’t think it’s about shouting “Here’s free cash!” That would come across as very spammy and wouldn’t break through in a meaningful way. Rather, MaidSafe needs to shout “Here’s a compelling, profitable, opportunity!” If MaidSafe can make clear the fact that there’s growth, activity and value, then people in crypto will naturally draw the conclusion that they can realize value for themselves. Shouting in such a manner would look like having an:

• Active presence: Holding office hours, dev tutorials, convention/conference participation, hackathons (easier now due to everything being virtual), etc.**

• Increased news coverage: articles in publications like CoinDesk, Coin Telegraph, Forbes, Wired, etc. Is anyone keeping relationships with publications like these and is there a press kit? If there is no press kit, I think one should be made for the upcoming testnet as well as for Fleming. **

• Tightening up communications: There’s opportunity to simplify Safe’s positioning while selectively leveraging messaging directed at specific Target Groups. The mockup Miguelo pulled together does a great job of illustrating how the presentation of information could be tightened up as well. Market research insights will also help to develop more succinct communications.

• Increased access: The ability to participate in the DEX ecosystem as well as getting listed on additional reputable CEX is key. This provides those already participate in the crypto ecosystem with a recognized way of getting involved.**

• Faster iterative development: releasing something is rewarded more than completeness.

• Partnerships: Safe has operated in a silo for a very long time. Is there anyway to connect Safe to potential partners that might add value? These partners could be other projects. Some have tossed around ideas about Cardano and Tezos. I’m curious about what a partnership with Ocean Protocol or Arweave might look like. Partnerships could also come in the form of connection collaboration with influential parties. For example, working with Wrapped/TokenSoft/Anchorage could open many doors. Who, that holds sway in crypto, supports (or could come to support) this project? Brock Pierce? Brock says he at least still remembers this project. Andreas Antonopoulos? Who else? Can MaidSafe reach out to influencers to provide an update on progress and gain/rekindle their support?**

9 Likes

I don’t like deletable data for many reasons, we may have to roll that back, not sure yet. It’s a human thing that folk say, Oh I need that, but I doubt we do.

Not on the network, if your computer and then Safe app was hacked then possibly you can encrypt a version, but the user can ignore that version, so no harm really, just a bit of “ring the bell and run away” tomfoolery.

2 Likes

We really need to tame this beast of a statement though. Think of the network as brain or a clock, many moving parts. Now imagine releasing a perfect timekeeper, one that will win the longtitude prize! Imagine being Harrison and folk saying stuff like “perfection is the enemy of progress” or “oh man just release something, you don’t need all the cogs!” etc. etc.

These statements only relate to products that can release a wee bit, sometimes the guts of a project must be released at once. Fleming and Maxwell are very little beyond the guts :wink:

Sounds great to say oh those Engineers eh, always over Engineering, wanting perfection and so on and in some cases that could be true, but not with a truly decentralised network. I don’t think such a thing exists to date. I think we have trimmed a lot in terms of FFI, browser, apps, API and so on, I know we have because devs (the folk we see as one of the targets) are hurting an will hurt a bit longer. I suspect the message will then change to release the API, release the browser etc. and some will say how could you release so little when we want it all :smiley: and you know what, I think everyone is right.

For all the rest @Sotros25 I am in broad agreement and I do see this as a wider community thing as much as possible. I am dead keen to make it so with MaidSafe at the back of the queue on much of it, but I dream of a lot of things like this :wink:

8 Likes

Another way to put this is, “something is better than nothing.” To be clear, I am not saying that there is nothing right now. I am saying that speed is rewarded. Cardano, I think, managed to balance having a complex project that has long R&D timelines with shipping releases quickly enough to keep people intrigued and invested. What this means for Safe on the way to beta, is for the engineers to decide.

Much has already been said about whether the shared testnet could have been released without rewards, so I won’t rehash that. Someone will always complain about something. If holding off on the browser (for example) is what it takes to more quickly release Fleming, I’m all for it. If people want to complain that there’s no browser at that point, ok. They at least wouldn’t be able to complain that the concept of Safe doesn’t work.

5 Likes

What I mean is this is not (always) the case. Take the Harrison clock with missing cogs, releasing something that patently does not work is arguable much worse than releasing nothing. When I say does not work, I mean falls completely flat and does not run.

Release something is a fallacy in some situations.

That one was debatable for sure, no rewards means farming for free, but we can argue testnets are that anyway and until safecoin real is out then it remains true. The issue here was more, how much do rewards slow down the network? (conceivably they could make it unusable). However that one was on a cliff edge.

2 Likes