Safe Chat — Friday 26th February, 9PM GMT

I’m a single person, so I plan to run ads as much as my financial means allow. If this counts as shouting then yes I will shout. What others will do in this decentralized project is a personal choice for each individual :love:

1 Like

I think you’re right - the all encompassing elevator pitch to all audiences is impossible, and may well be counter-productive. Typically ideas come after batting options around for a while I think.

That’s what I’m trying to do on the other thread. Build up a bunch of short stories, each with a particular person or group in mind. I’m using the form of a hypothetical ad, simply because that helps to distil the ideas down to the essentials and forces attention to language, but it could be anything really.

By the way, there’s an AI tool called Copysmith which uses GTP-3 to generate text from keywords. You can sign up for a free trial and some features are completely free for a limited time period. I had a little play and it looks interesting, although it didn’t produce any aha moments for me.

4 Likes

@Dimitar I think the best resistance to competition is the network effect. Any network with a strong supply of data is going to reward its farmers the best.

1 Like

I agree with you about needing to be the bigger network. When you say bigger what is that? What do we need? Could we use something like the 80/20 principle to identify the most relevant information early on?

Seems so but to resurface the sales funnel idea again maybe we could start broad?

• Do you use the internet? (Start broad and then get more specific)
  • Do you dislike that mega corporations are building an online identity and profile of you and selling it to make a profit?
  • Do you dislike the idea of paying a lifetime subscription to store your family photos or other important data?
  • If you host any site or service, do you dislike the headache of cost and setup as well as having to maintain or scale those services?
  • Are you worried about online theft?

I’m imagining it looking like this.

| | | | | | |
\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /
| || || |
\ / \ / \ /
| | |
\ / \ /
| |
| |
\ /
\ /
\ /

Never mind that it looks like many butts forming a much larger butt. It’s a sales funnel, I swear it.

3 Likes

Lol it took away all my spaces! It’s doesn’t look like butts at all (or a sales funnel)! I’ve been jipped.

Kind of like a data flow model or if then do this way of approaching it. You start broad to capture everyone and then figure out what next bigger funnel they fit into to get them to, well then you need the Safe Network because it addresses those concerns.

2 Likes

It’s quite abstract isn’t it…?

1 Like

https://copypro.ai/
This video is a quick breakdown of how this software works. What great about this is that all of the hooks have been worked out already by decades of marketing research. With a little human intervention you can come up with great copy material. 20 min.

3 Likes

The forum is like one of those cheeky ai art engines. Took all my little butts and made a monstrosity.

1 Like

Haha, yeah I was aware of that as he was saying it.

I guess I was more just meaning it’s an example of the unexpected problems people have with the current situation.

Would be interesting to see if Safe takes off though how it might force changes in legislation, though admittedly it could be for better or worse at least initially.

1 Like

Yeah - GDPR was drafted 10 years ago when these types of systems didn’t really exist so I expect things will change in time. Unfortunately the process tends to be glacial.

True, but this is where I think there’s an opportunity to go for the fuzzy, touchy-feely, aspirational branding sort of approach to a strap line.

I like ‘The New Internet’ as you’ve got it on the website, but I’ve tried that on people and they just go ‘what’s wrong with the old internet?’ and then we’re back at the long boring list.

I think ‘Future Internet’ (or something else emphasising Future) is much more open ended and suggests it will be more than the old internet, leaving it open to peoples’ imaginations as to in exactly what way.

Not that it’s a hill I’m about to die on, and I’m obviously no expert, but just a perspective to throw out there.

4 Likes

Try it out on companies that have had their users’ data stolen or been victims of ransomware. You’ll probably get much different responses and, in the end, enlist individual users quicker.

2 Likes

This youtuber is explaning to his more than 500,000 subscribers that his privacy and decentralization videos doesn’t do well in the channel, people doesnt want to watch them. (minute 31:52)

Thing is though, they could well be in a position not to handle user data at all with Safe, thus side stepping GDPR entirely.

6 Likes

This is a great point and one of the things that will drive commercial developers to keep data under control of the person/owner, who can allow others to access it. It could be a big selling point for business.

6 Likes

As far as I know it will require a test case, because the situation where encrypted chunks of data are spread randomly across devices wasn’t considered back then. Under GDPR you are supposed to be able to control where personal data resides to prevent it leaving the EU without permission. But if the data is encrypted and broken up into chunks and then distributed is it still personal data? I’d say no - but I’m not a lawyer!

Love that !!

3 Likes

And is it still data?

Exactly. IIRC edge case hinge on practically on how easy it is to decrypt and reconstitute the original information, so something like Safe could be OK, but I don’t know and I’m not if any decisions have been made on this. I’ll do a bit of searching and see what I can find.

1 Like