Most wanted APP for the SAFE Network

In my mind, the most important element of the SAFE network is the potential of 3 billion computers being networked together with a shared purpose. Those 3 billion processors and the hojillions of GB of storage create possibilities that have never existed before in our history, possibilities that could mean the rapid evolution of the human species. Since this, in my opinion, is the most important aspect of the SAFE network, I feel the most wanted, nay, needed Application (App) is one that fully utilizes this potential. Ideally this would be better suited as an inherent feature of the network, but if this isn’t possible, then a free application would be acceptable.

The Idea:
A nomination and voting system for use of network accessible resources. This Application would allow anyone to nominate a project for access to resources attached to the SAFE network, most specifically processing resources. The Nominations would then be displayed on a publicly accessible site, from this site any SAFE network user could vote for the projects. Once every (insert time frame here, ex: day, week, month) the system would take the top 10 most popular projects and send a voting request message to every user on the SAFE network, excluding those who opt out. This final voting session would be time limited at the conclusion of which the winning project would be identified. The winning project is then given access to use spare network resources for a limited time, within predefined limits and usage guidelines. These predefined limits would be in part determined on the fly by the network itself, and in part hard limits. For example, if the network is currently only utilizing 8% of total processing power available, the winning project would be able to use the full amount up to the hard limit, for example 50%. If the network were currently utilizing 60% of the total processing power available the project would be given a much smaller amount, say 10%. It would be important to note part of the predefined limits and guidelines would be to limit the amount each processor is utilized, in order to keep individual users hardware healthy and minimize spikes in their power usage/costs. This could also be a default setting that could be overwritten by the user if they want to allow for higher levels of contribution.

If this idea is confusing to you, or you have a hard time imagining what kinds of projects would benefit from this, you need only look at any past or present distributed computing research projects, the most known example is probably SETI@home. Imagine how much a project like SETI could advance if they were nominated every other week or month and could utilize the processors of 5-15 billion computers. Now, take this same concept and apply it to any kind of research or processor intensive activity, the possibilities are straight out of our favorite science fiction stories.

This is only the rough outline of the idea, it has more potential than anything I can think of and trust me, I have been thinking about this for as long as I have known about distributed computing. Please add to this idea, and if this tickles your fancy in even the slightest manner, please like this post.

7 Likes

What about a Wiki app? I think it could be a start for a web authoring application.

2 Likes

It seems to me that it (depending on the implementation, of course) be able to work without any adjustments, just like a static Web site.

I want the mother of all photo albumns app to help me manage my ridiculous number of photos, and create little albumns to share with a friend, groups, and publicly - publishable on SAFE without the recipients needing the app (e.g. equivalent of “publish to web”).

Such sharing apps will create an incentive for friends to join and see what we share.

Same principle with other apps (music, scribd, youtube) that facilitate sharing of things! Maybe such apps can generate simple teaser websites - accessible via old web, but with “join SAFE and see this in 3D” or some such :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think such apps will be very popular and easy to create with very simple scripts and GUI-based wizards (basically you’d need to generate links and thumbs, plus pagination) and then that HTML code could be posted on “traditional” Web for the search engines to harvest it.
On the back end the site could use a SAFE plugin to get that content from the SAFEnet and send it to users.
I wonder if “create a gallery” could be accomplished with some of those old HTML home page wizards :smile:

News site and blogging platform is what I’d like to see most, since I’m a writer. All I seem to write about these days is cryptos and tech stuff, but I used to write world news articles so I’d love there to be somewhere on SAFE where I could get back into doing that a bit on the side.

Also a social networking site. Personally I would favour more of a twitter style rather than facebook.

App that Turns Down the Volume on Corporate & State Propaganda?

We have a system that feeds on victimization, exploitation and loss of volition and rewards psychopaths.
It rewards people for behavior that if the general laws were consistent would otherwise get them millions of life sentences.

This is a signal to noise problem. The noise can be engineered out by getting rid of the conflicts of interest. The noise is generally commercial speech, and its generally issued by top down hierarchical sponsored speech systems. It’s an issue with mass aggregate, even if pin point, advertising and the infomercial content that results. It will exist and continue the downward spiral of power concentration even if privacy is restored to most people. The point of these sponsored systems is censorship and exploitation. Look at Comcast and how hard it is always arguing against workable speech, affordable prices, level playing fields and how quick it is to roll over for the state on privacy. States everywhere and their corporate masters love firms like Comcast because they keep propaganda and broken enclosed markets alive. The barriers to entry in many markets are so high with enclosure that they are fortresses and the public is imprisoned in them.

The solution is likely in increasing the rate of genuine horizontal speech. This means speech systems that sift out the commercial noise, they don’t allow coerced attention and they only take money and influence from their legitimate end users. They don’t use the money and attention of their end users against them, they don’t have divided loyalties and conflicts of interest. They don’t have board members on other boards. They are probably not-for-profit because the investors and their money interests would become a solid conflict of interest. They don’t invest in for-profit firms. They may well be no-back-door Distributed Automated Organizations.

But now the challenge for Project SAFE. How do you not just become a tool for backwards media and serve more ads than ever? The idea that those ads are not pinpoint or not directed by privacy mining or privacy breach ignores the whole history of barrel scraping impoverishing demand creation advertising. That crap was dying prior to Google allowing sponsors to optimize search directly based on highest bidder type games. Will Project SAFE revive horrid demand creation? Will it be a tool to further enable supply side price fixing? And pro spam arguments are spam as ends and means are the same- spam and furthering spam/censorship are the same. We’re pro-business, we are realistic and practical- those are deflections.

And can this app exist even with Project SAFE on the increasingly broken internet?

Hello there, 3 years ago we thought that an infrastructure like maidsafe would surely appear. It is the new paradigm after cloud computing. a kind of pervasive computing, indeed it is here, as his sucessor.

I’ve thought of an application that would benefit to the whole world.
I call it “peer to peer joint open governance” or an ERP for the world.

The principle is of course deeply associated with politics and not sure that the powers that be would welcome it.

The application would based on several dimensions : spatial governance “cells” from micro to macro.
Tasking and scheduling
statistics
debate on values and macro-values

• the classical framework of
    laws
    jurisdiction
    executive
    but in a P2P network

executive and decision making would be based on cell input and a user scoring (influence) on that cell.

All devices would be supervised bt the P2P governance protocol.
(here lies the danger of surveillance, but since it is P2P, the risks are limited)
the smallest cell would be the household.

The only element outside of the framework per se is performance of a task, that would be based on real world work. validated, and paiid.

Any simple task could generate income, on a first valid (competent) user that decides to enroll.

I can write more and more…
sounds dystopic or utopic based on the point of view, but woth of thinking.
Interested ?

3 Likes

Yes this is where we are headed I think. Have you watched the TED talk on decentralisation - I just tried and failed to find it, I think it was by a guy called Johan or similar from Monetas but search doesn’t turn anything up so I may be wrong there. Anyway, its a really good overview of how decentralisation is the normal and default way for society to organise, and why we have briefly deviated (and why that’s bad).

here it is…

5 Likes

THanks @Al_kafir!!!

So what exactly would you want this app to do? It sounds fascinating but what would it do? A spam blocker is obvious. Perhaps a reputation system of some kind of corporate sites/content but I’m not sure what exactly you are proposing for your requested app, and I’m not even a developer. Perhaps you could clarify @Warren?

So long as I can opt out and am not compelled to enroll in this “government” or be ruled by it I’m cautiously intrigued. Frankly I find all government to be obsolete but I do conceed that there are those that still feel the need for it.

1 Like

I really liked the 4 pillars of Decentralized Society posted by @Al_Kafir above. Sleep better with people like Johan Gevers this alive right now. A little nervous about the advocacy for contract (binding agreements) as a risk reduction strategy. Would feel better if we did less of that or only where necessary- but I think as trust builds maybe we will need less of it. Also like this talk by Grahm Hancock in this video he bring up some down to Earth possibilities about what will make us sane and possibly lead to our next leap.

In response to Happybeing in the thread about spam taking up disk space or net resources in Project SAFE I try to give some more concrete indications about what I’d like from apps and Project SAFE. But they are all floors and nothing would be better than better means to the same or better ends.

I think an app for easily downloading an open source designs catalogue for 3D printing machines would be good. Small micro manufacturing communities could spring up etc.

6 Likes

This would seem to be additional selling point for the NHS if hosted on Safe …we could help their project too.

1 Like

I have seen “the making of” type shows for animation like the Simpsons and wanted to do something like that with my kids. Basically have ready made stories. The scripts to read, the animation, music and whatever else is needed so we could just record the parts then sync the voices to the animation . The kids would love to see that and hear there own voices. I think it would be educational and good family fun. I could imagine schools and churches using something like this if it could be made simple enough to use. Safecoin for app builder, animators, musicians, etc. Right?
Is something like this possible?

1 Like

I have spoken to some people in genomics and proteomics and we could do amazing things there. Just need time :frowning:

4 Likes

I have a mate who started a gene sequencing company (or something like that, it was a while ago :-)), and was thinking about him today and when to say hey, what could you do with THIS. I think I’ll say hello at least. He’s a really good guy. @dirvine do you have anything written down about the distributed compute side of SAFE? I delved a long time ago but am very out of touch, so absolutely anything would do. Almost got to build genetic algorithm stuff on a Connection Machine (1989ish) but very sadly, the project died with the client - a really lovely guy. :frowning:

No not really I don’t think. Well not obvious, I am sure we could though, its just the time thing that kills us.

2 Likes