Most wanted APP for the SAFE Network

secure email and messaging (Thunderbird like?): within SAFE

Are you sure this is a good idea? The email protocol is very old and very difficult to deal with (not even sure how it could be used with MaidSafe?). I would think it would be better to create some kind of new protocol for sending/receiving messages, that any app would be able to handle.

Unless of course that is what you meant in the first place.

Thinking about the first days, weeks , months of launch…how will the network perform? I think I read that the devs have a dashboard for viewing overall network performance…so they would know how things are going.

Would it contribute anything to have an app to display current network conditions for the vault being used, one that took into consideration the health of their link?

I’d hate to start seeing reports from users, that the network is slower than expected, maybe an app that displayed current/future performance would allay premature stories like the ‘successful failure’ one that was the out there during the crowdsale.

1 Like

Maybe http://visualiser.maidsafe.net:8080/ could be adjusted for that?

When I talk about streaming, this is what I’m talking about. Moving all the heavy lifting from centralized systems and online distributed servers so the creator “owns” the content. Also, it seems like the distributed nature should allow the network to stream content out to lots of people quickly. That’s my most-wanted-app.

This is what we’re doing w/ Network99. We’ll be talking about it on SAFE cafe #6 on Sunday.

Many people still use email and not much else even today. I think integrating with email somehow OR being able to import/export to and from email would be very important.

1 Like

@russell,

a) Small artists by definition don’t need a lot of resources (1K concurrent viewers is a huge number (tens of thousands of visitors/viewers per day) and you can serve more than that from a single server), so you’re talking about non-entry level performers (this doesn’t change the validity of your argument, I just want to point out that these are relatively accomplished “entertainment entrepreneurs”)

b) If there is no copy protection, content creators will be guaranteed to make money only during the first showing.
After that anyone can make money by hosting it. Now considering my earlier point a), I probably wouldn’t copy some completely unknown guy’s video, but if someone is generating 5K views a day, I would (well, I probably wouldn’t, but if that became widespread and tolerated behavior, many people would routinely do it).

c) I’ve been reading TFM and it is my belief that the bulk of such workload (SAFEnet reads which are GET-ed by native SAFEnet apps) will be served by caching nodes. Furthermore I noticed that caching nodes don’t get paid for their work and that can’t be disabled or changed (according to @dirvine (I read that somewhere on this forum), that’s something every SAFEnet on the network should do).

I’m still slightly skeptical how up-and-coming artists will be able to prosper with native SAFEnet apps as opposed to the traditional, centralized system.

It’s true, monetizing on stolen work and distributing it as your own poses a massive problem for artists. No answer for all of this yet, but I’d sure love to find one. I’d like to dig into that more, because I feel like there is an answer somewhere to all this. Probably a conversation for a different section of the forum, though.

1 Like

Yes, a new topic would be good. I think you could allow the viewing only through a special app, but that’d mean 100 apps for 100 artists, or perhaps a community app with built-in piracy protection where users can add various artist channels.

1 Like

This is already part of SAFE’s design, and vital!!!

What I’d like is for us to have a way to “segway” the changeover when at the start most of our contacts will be on email, from within a single application. When that app sends to a SAFE contact, it uses SAFE protocols, when an email contact, it heads to an SMTP server (and could have the option of a “Switch to encrypted communcations with me by joining Project SAFE[link]” as part of our sig. I’d also find it helpful if the app would allow me to access all my existing email where it is now (IMAP on webmail for example) and to import it onto SAFE if I choose.

Some will of course just want an app with pure SAFE communications, but this app could do this as well, just without ever being set up for SMTP or handling of exsiting email.

EDIT: If the email/messaging app discussion needs to continue lets start a new topic for it. I expect MaidSafe have some or all of this in hand, so we should get some input from them before going to town on it though! @Viv do MaidSafe plans just include app(s) for SAFE messaging, or something fancy to provide a combined email/SAFE messaging system, with IMAP/SMTP integration and ability to handle SAFE/non-SAFE messages in a common “inbox” UI?

2 Likes

Instead of using quid pro quo you use voluntary donations. An artist has an account of some kind. People donate to it to support said artist. You like my stories? Donate to me! You like my pictures that I draw? Donate to me. You like my videos? Donate to me. Choose to support said artist and they have time to create more art. Choose to support them less and they need to find alternative financial arrangements.

1 Like

I think the harder part out of this requirement is the SAFE Messaging/Email. Regular Pop/IMAP… clients are quite easy to put together. Encapsulating the two is something we do intend on showcasing as a standalone app or even bundled with a suite that could have your own Drive/Messenger and keep growing as more features are brought out. Once we cover the basics of MPID handling(Your contact lists) in examples then we should move onto an example highlighting messaging within the network(I guess we all want to see the most exciting features get flushed out first). I’d not want to stall other app devs in creating their own mail clients until we finish our standalone app.

You mentioned some really cool ideas Mark with the signature, would definitely vote to have that implemented as you described. For the standalone app at this stage, we can make it a “hybrid”. Have the To address field detect is the given address a SAFE public address (say safe::name) or a current mail id(someone@something.zzz) and accordingly use the network messaging/regular client messaging when required(add the optional sig here when it’s a message sent outside the network to invite them in).

This app can grow arms and legs to facilitate the migration between current mail to the network mail via a few modes. Say we could have the SAFE contacts have their meta data also include their UNSAFE mail address :slight_smile: This way when someone tries to send this person an email as a reply or forward, we could prompt/inform them to instead use the receipient’s safe address to keep the mail contents secure and remember the choice for future. This way people don’t have to program themselves to remember to use the SAFE address and they will all with time migrate without effort to using the SAFE addresses in place of regular mail addresses. The purpose of all such tweaks would be to make it easy for the end-user so that from Day 1 to Day 365 a said user just sends an email to “Mark” and the system helps them be secure without an effort from the user.

6 Likes

Thanks @Viv I like your ideas and you are clearly thinking along the lines I was hoping, and some! :slight_smile: I’ll be happy to harrang you with questions and suggestions when the time comes. I think putting effort into getting the “killer app of the internet” (email) right will give SAFE a big boost. No-one has yet got a solution, after all these years!!! MaidSafe will be able to both exceed that and use it to raise awareness of SAFE itself.

2 Likes

haha cheers @happybeing It’s certainly what I wake up everyday hoping to achieve :wink:

This is one of the most important points I can’t stress enough. I think we all see projects mention “oh please give your suggestions” and they might/might not use them. In our case while there isn’t a better way to ask for this same info, your opinions are of utmost importance in getting these features exposed right. No point building a killer app that your users cringe to use at the end of the day. Wouldn’t call such an app a killer app. So I’d say to anyone, please don’t think a suggestion might have already been mentioned/might not be the best. Do suggest them. It always helps to consider varied angles before picking a strategy for an App at the client end.

4 Likes

Here’s my breakthrough idea: I want a native client app that doesn’t do anything.
And I want it packaged for Android, iOS, Windows and Linux.

Then I can avoid to build the scaffolding and hopefully “just” insert code in the blank space.

A simple and stupid DIY app that could be created from such template would be a static “home page”. The point is it’s going to be available, it’s going to motivate people to want to use the new network. and get Safecoins to circulate.

5 Likes

An app that allowed me to tag my data, assign tags to each file and folder, and then seach and display it in different ways. Say i have 30gb of music what percent of that isheavy metal and what percent is jpop and how much space does each take respectively. What % of that music makes me happy? Yes you can do a fair bit with folders but they’re limited. It would also be good if this could integrate (but not be limited to) a music app. This makes me think not just of muvsic management butalso streaming and catagorization like pandora and last.fm. hmm come to think of it stumbleupon isn’t much different just it targets websites. Is pintrest that much different except it’s for pictures? So basically sort your data with tags, lists and by types then include a randomizer that can learn based on your likes and dislikes. Allow a user to make certain segments of their data public and to browse public databases and voila you can look up random pretty pictures/videos while listening to randomly generated playlists based on your favorite genre, or your mood, or whatever tag you pick. This would be good for content creators as well because they could tag their stuff and make it public, similar to how one shares posts on social media.

Incidently I just had a thought: if content creators end up with the ability to charge to view their content one could filter out such pay to view files or set ranges as to how much safecoin you’re willing to dish out. Also having a donate to creator button would be good.

SAFE TWITTER (btw this won’t save Twitter)
This great app would work like: http://bitcoinmegaphone.com
Every character you type in costs money, but here is what makes this a real killer app.
-You also have premium accounts, if you pay let’s say €1000 you have unlimited characters
-With your premium account you can set a price that people have to pay if they want to follow you (Wow I’m getting paid to get followed F#$!@ you stalkers, celebrity would drool for this tool)
-Your followers can send you a message, beside the message you get the Safecoins from the characters they type in
-You can also set your account to “Pay To Read” follower see a preview and have to pay to read the rest of your article (Great for newspapers & bloggers)
-You can offer your content on a subscription base
-Here is a feature to get a lot of people angry, you can let them comment for free, but later decide that they should pay and if they don’t pay they are in debt and this info will also be visible to others (LOL)
-You can also add a picture, but we all know that that is a thousand words so it i’ll be pricey
-Hmmmm maybe you can even add an video, but only millionairs can afford it
-Here another premium thingy, you can add this app to your site, so commentors pay money to say nonsense. Here’s the NSA version, commentors don’t have to pay, but their data will be use for AI optimization and as controle tool (Disqusting).
IF SOMEBODY WANTS TO CREATE THIS APP THIS CHARACTER DEMANDS SAFECOIN & 50% EQUITY.

SAFECOIN LOTTERY
You send let’s say 1,10 Safecoins to the lottery’s address. It a 10000 Safecoins lottery. So 10000 people have to send 1,10Safecoins, but ofcourse you can also send 110Safecoins decreasing the number of players, the house receives 1000Safecoins and 1 of the players wins 10000 Safecoins. Each player gets a number that they don’t know, they also have to pick a number between 1 and 10000, if you put in 110Safecoin you still may only pick 1 number. The number that is picked the most wins, but 1 number can’t be picked more than 100 times, to prevent grouping. The winner is determined by the players and it’s totally decentralized and anonymous. Life is a gamble…

INTERNET OF THINGS APP
We all know that IOTs are a crackers dream. Maidsafe would shine if we had an great app to run IOT devices in an safe enviroment. Maidsafe is the safest place for devices of these kind. Manufactors will just keep doing what they do (totally not secure devices) and when all hell breaks loose if you create an app to come to the rescue, you will go down in history…

2 Likes

I don’t know if this would be better facilitated by other apps or established systems but an app to effectively and efficently verify and transfer pgp fingerprints and keys between parties securely would be good.

1 Like

Originally posted this on Redirecting safecoin deposits - #2 by dirvine

But am asking here:  Can I get an app for that?

Edit: An afterthought I had is that such a system would require a way to confirm whether the sub accounts were using the app or not for further relaying. If the system was built on the premise of extended distribution and relays then each node would require the app.

1 Like

@Blindsite2k I am hoping that this tech ends trade secrets and the patent industry. Let the investment be in manufacturing, let the innovation be supported in another way.

Safe Web Browser: Gives the end user total control over the interface no exceptions. A solid step in defeating any kind of modal windowing or presentation. Would work with filter in Safe Search and Safe Trending.

Safe Search & Safe Trending. These would be honest ad and sponsor free trending systems, base on successful prior searches. These would have ways to flag spam and would use both intelligent software and community input, culture and education to de-list any site or application that in anyway attempted to coerce end user attention. Spam is anything that tries to coerce attention- we lose our volition generally when we allow such systems. These would be key to supporting conflict of interest free media entities and blogs that only ever took money and influence from their end users on a money/influence base equivalent to the merits of arguments and equivalent to a 1 person 1 vote.

More than anything we need to break enclosure set ups (closed system markets) where the retort is always: what you have free choice. When in fact people have nothing of the choice. These would be open systems of exchange and information transfer.