Meshnets on Maidsafe

Oh wow!!! I have been thinking the same thing. It’s been a recent interest of mine (building wifi antennae and such) , learning about “Mesh network” and as i’ve been writing over on the “price discovery” thread i had the thought, “why not slap a mesh wifi node on top of the storage…”? That led to all of the potential inherent in all of these decentralized “movements” once they were “meshed” (pun intended) together)! Transmission/communication, currency and the store and transfer of value, and storage. It’s popular (and true) to say, “the only way they could stop or shut down Bitcoin would be to shut down the internet…” haha, Now there is an alternate future where even that can’t stop the people. Was just hitting the back button to exit out of here for the day and caught that title! That just made my night! Just got a freedom woody! LOL… I’m down to work on integrating that aspect since i iwas already on that road and it’s something I’m able to do (not much of a programer) if anyone wants to form a team or “sub-committee” for such an endeavor Gotta go for now, but this is all very exciting.
Bless…

1 Like

For that check out spark.io wifi plus controller etc.

Pretty cool tech there, but that’s not what I meant. There’s enough development going on for bitcoin wallets and “personal devices”. I’m thinking of the future and alternative means of intermediate and long distance transmission, like the internet except decentralized. Think 2 way pirate radio for the “web” where the data transmission, is implemented and controlled by the people and dispersed widely enough that it would take a “51% attack” to effect it or censor it or charge exorbitant rates to access it, coupled with decentralized DNS like namecoin etc (instead of ICANN), with MadeSafe instead of central data centers, and bitcoin instead of paypal, etc on down that line of thought. The “Mesh” I’m referring to and have been working on locally is more akin to “universal wifi” with omnidirectional transmission and reception hubs dispersed every several miles or so (dependent on the topology of the area) coupled with access points filling in the distances to create a “mesh” or web of connectivity. With universal wifi there is obviously then the connectivity for all sorts of personal consumer “products” but we are at a juncture in history that calls for radical change of the control of the “infrastructure” and just more personal products to consume and distract are exactly that, in my opinion. I used to focus on the problem but realized the only solution to the problems is to forget about them and focus on creating the alternative letting the parasites wither from neglect and irrelevance.
OK really got to go. I keep checkin my email and getting drawn back in LOL. gOOD NIGHT

Dreaming of a dirt cheap little cube of a rugged hardened mesh box that is easy to affix to a roof or dash board of the car with

longer range wireless,
free space optical (for roof tops, to get at some of the advantages of fiber)
solar/battery

and characteristics optimized for Safecoin earnings so that people have the incentive to buy it and get a ladder out.

it presents the possibility of getting paid to cut the cord.

6 Likes

I would buy a tonne and scatter them across the city. Keep the dream alive.

5 Likes

For anyone who is thinking about implementing and linking local MeshNets, this could help initial planning
Line of Sight Tool

2 Likes

Packet Radio maybe for the messaging portion of the network?

https://www.tapr.org/packetradio.html

3 Likes
3 Likes

We’re all over it, and if all goes well, our ePlug will be under 40 bucks too.
MaidSafe is required goods on the ePlug. Plus Storj and Factom, but MaidSafe will make up the bulk of it I’m hopin.

The tweets: https://twitter.com/kenCode_de/status/561615477085315073

5 Likes

Ken, have you read the links in the previous post?

Have you looked into Software Define Radios - SDR to make lower frequency radio waves transmit the signal for the ePlug so that theoretically it would increase the range of the device, it’s ability to go around walls more reliably, and also deliver higher speeds?

I imagine making an SDR work in a tiny device would be ideal for ePlug; this requires some novel software also;

4 Likes

Yep, the ePlug has to use sdr. I met an investor this week who has some pretty awesome connections in telecom too, seems there’s some old low freq spectrum we may be able to use too. Old tv’s used to use them as mentioned above. As I learn more I’ll be posting the data on twitter and my github… kenCode-de

3 Likes

Could someone summarise the whole idea of “super wifi” in a sentence or two for someone who isn’t as knowledgeable about it?

Because I get the feeling we’re on the brink of some sort of amazing explosion here, and I really want to know what’s coming :slight_smile:

1 Like

it’s a wifi where the receiver can also relay messages, the lower frequency band allows for going through walls more thoroughly, and to go farther in distance;

so devices will be able to use less power, be smaller, and still deliver strong signals farther :smile:

with this it is possible to establish wireless network connectivity, inexpensive, and very good;

Since, each device connected to this “super wifi” expands it, there is actually a web that could happen. versus the current leech design, where you have to accept cable from a central authority. With SDR chips you can choose which station you want to tune to :sun_with_face:

4 Likes

Holy crapes that’s unreal

What’s the most promising application of it so far?

Could it work with SAFE?

Can I toss my two cents in here? :slight_smile:
I’m hoping the ePlug kicks the competition in the nards.

Using a combination of Factom Linux (our own Blockchain Op System, or “BOS”), MaidSafe and Storj, the ePlug actually DE-centralizes it all; dumps the isp over time, propagates meshnet, uses end to end encryption, gets rid of servers and centralized data centers, and won’t have some major corporations brand on it either. It’s just me and a few other activists that I work with.

If we get funded, we can literally get the mass-production version ready for sale in roughly 9 months from now, for under 40 bucks too. A friend of mine here in town is going to help me install 250 ePlugs in a major company here in Munich, showing the world how the ePlug has become the nard kicker to beat.

4 Likes

My idea here would be: maidsafe nodes as gateways from local meshnet to internet/safenet.
It seems the most pragmatic way to go.

In many jurisdictions it can be problematic to share your internet connection on a local meshnet (like freifunk in Germany), because you can be held responsible for what other users do on you internet connection. If you could force them to use tor or the safe network or similar, you can avoid this risk. The problem is that if you want to run the safe client on a machine in the local mesh, it would have to connect to several peers distributed over the internet, so it would need free internet access. But if there was a way that I could “remotely log in”, through the local mesh net, on a safe client that is connected to the internet via broadband, secure internet could be served to everybody in an area where there are at least some broadband connections. Maybe there could be an incentive for the nodes to let me connect, I could negotiate a price for a certain traffic volume with the node and pay in minted safecoin that I have offline on my device, for instance…

3 Likes

Incentive is the missing piece for Meshnets to replace ISPs. The SAFE Network could provide this incentive with Safecoin. If Meshnets become another resource on the SAFE Network, how would the incentive structure work? Would it be possible to do monthly subscriptions; or should users pay by the byte? Or maybe both options are viable? One thing to keep in mind are the backbone internet providers and how they will get paid.

3 Likes

We do not need to cover the planet with meshnets, we only need to take back the last mile from the enemy.

3 Likes