Is the community getting tired of maidsafe

The point is that nobody knows. We all can see the iterations of testnets and releases though so we can all guess. Nobody from maidsafe knows which testnet/release will be “the one”. This is why we iterate through features and do so trying to release what we can to the community.

So guessing is hard especially at bits that have never been done. This points to routing and vaults with data republish and some security parts (node age etc.). These are happening in parallel and will take center stage in routing/vaults in the next weeks. We will see how that pans out.

Then we have safecoin, much less of a never been done as it’s a data type of the billions of data types that the above allows, so pretty simple, however it’s a network created type so there is a little more work there to ensure that the network can balance the resource / requirements. Not a huge deal though, it’s a pretty easy algorithm.

Then we have client parts, the part you actually see and use to create apps. That is happening in the open, as the new API is released (in some testenets and releases after alpha 2) we can clearly see progress there and also apps. This allows less tech people to see progress as “stuff they can use”.

So this IMHO is the three parts we need to look at. We all use a binary done/not done but it is way more subtle. Is the network done when we have test safecoin, real safecoin, data republish, secured data republish? Some will say Ok then I want everything and it will be done, however that does not work either, there will always be improvements and additions so everything never happens. (think compute etc. is that also required to be done?)

Even if we agree that X is “done” then apps are built, when will normal users consider they will consider this “done” and create accounts? They may be very different, it may be when X is done and being used for Y months or years.

So this is a journey and we are all on it. There are few binary decisions in terms of readiness etc. and the hurdles were hard to get past at times, not because they were impossible or hard, just because they require folk to think different to the norm. My email footer used to say it’s not hard, it’s different. That annoyed too many people though :slight_smile:

So “done” requires clarification and I feel we all will see that as a different thing, it could be, does this work, well we can see it does (like an early ford or apache server etc.) but does it work enough? well no, not for release as a use this now network for any users, we are early adopters waiting to adopt early, for the time being we are testers, but like the engineers us testers are just as important and contribute to the project velocity.

Anyway this is my personal thinking process here. Hope it helps a little.

33 Likes