Omnipresent
Ottonomous <=== I know, I know… You do better then :slight_smile:
Network

$AYR is snappier though

All
Your
Resources (are Safer with AYR)

1 Like

Given that you can’t reserve a ticker, and your can’t trademark one either, it’s actually one of those strange situations where were gonna have to keep things on the down-low until it’s go time.

I’m a little nervous about a public brainstorm now as it actually increases the chances of being pipped to the post on a solid choice. There are some obvious suggestions, and a few ideas that are good back-ups that haven’t been publicly shared.

The key though, is association and differentiation—the whole point of a ticker is for a consumer to be able to pick correct asset, and not mistake them—so to me, doubling up a ticker even though it is technically possible, is a non-starter. And we don’t want to infringe someone else’s mark either, that’s the last thing anyone wants the hassle of.

12 Likes

An individual can reserve a trademark so if there are a couple of good tickers in mind it might be worthwhile reserving the trademark for future protection of said ticker/trademark.

No, you can’t trademark one it seems.

The trademark doesn’t have to specify it’s for a ticker, just for future business use. That should provide some protection anyway.

Put it this way, it is highly unlikely we’d be granted a trademark for any of the most obvious tickers, or most of suggested ones.

Anyway, it’s not a huge deal if we keep it on the qt, and then just go with what we have at the time. :shushing_face:

2 Likes

Yes, of course, it has to be unique. But by proceeding without a trademark you are running the risk of someone else claiming business use of the mark/symbol/ticker between now and launch. I don’t believe the cost of filing for a trademark reservation is prohibitive for even a few of the good names in mind.

It’s not just uniqueness. It can’t be too generic, or too short, or too common, or a regular word etc. (in order to be trademarkable)

So the good options for tickers for us will be un-trademarkable, and the ones that could be trademarked, will be inferior choices for tickers.

All in all though, let’s not stress too much about it. And let’s not give anyone any ammo either. We want to avoid that situation again.

4 Likes

So true. Creativity is key.

I actually like $AYR. It just sounds nice.

2 Likes

Maximum of five characters, should start with S. Almost an infinite number of possibilities still available. Now I can see why @JimCollinson says we shouldn’t stress.

2 Likes

Reading between the lines, I think the team have this in hand.
We have lots of other stuff to concentrate on. It will be what it is and it will be when it happens. And not before

7 Likes

just throwing this out there could we start using a symbol ?
we have a symbol for pounds and dollars euros etc already on ASCII
why not adopt an already existing ascii symbol that is already available.
ie ASCII CODE 245 would give us this little guy §

so in the future
£ = Pound
$ = Dollar
€ = Euro
§ = Safe Network Token (or what ever the final name is)

3 Likes

MSNT.
Problem solved.

This is pretty close.

I’m not sure that solves the problem, does it? A token ID number?

Tied to one “official” Token symbol. It is listed as the primary use-case:

So far tokens and exchanges chose ticker symbols deliberately. As a result the same token might trade under different ticker symbols on different exchanges or different tokens might be even listed under the same symbol. For instance, Bitcoin can either be found under the symbol XBT, BTC or BTX. This is not only confusing and but also represents a risk for investors and other market players.
With the International Token Identification Number (ITIN) ITSA is developing and implementing an open market standard for the safe and secure identification of cryptographic tokens.

Aye, but you need a token and symbol first it appears. It seems more about standardization between exchanges, rather than a system of pre-registration. So we still need a non-infringing differentiated ticker… so we are back to the OP.

1 Like

“Pre-registration” suggests some centralised control. What does “pre-registration” even mean in a decentralised context?

MaidSafe if they wish to do so can register with ITSA and chose their preferred ticker before, after or in-between any CEX/DEXs listing it. The alternative is not do any of that and leave it 100% up to the first DEX/CEX to chose for us, or worse each of them chose different symbols between them as they have done with Bitcoin. ITSA is also used for standardisation between exchanges, yes. CEX/DEXs can also chose to ignore any standardisation efforts anyway and do their own thing.

Not saying it is great, but it is better than nothing.

1 Like