Do not use SNT as abbreviation of Safe Network Token

Except that tomorrow never comes - or is usually bloody slow - so they may well be around - along with the rest of the clearnet for a very long time indeed. This is a battle we do not need to fight now and many not need to fight EVER if we think along the same lines as @jlpell and look for a shorter, more memorable symbol - SN or even S if either are available and can be “reserved” in some practical, feasible fashion ASAP.

4 Likes

Does the token really have to change the name? Why not just keep it as MAID. It simplifies everything, including the conversion process (maybe no conversion necessary?). I understand one of the reasons the company wants to change the name of the token at launch is to separate company (MaidSafe) from coin. But wouldn’t it be easier just to change the name of the company at that time? Corporations do it all the time. I know MaidSafe is a private company, not a corporation, but you should still be able to change the name without much trouble, unless Scottish laws governing this kind of thing are very different than those elsewhere.

6 Likes

Less than 2 years ago they were claiming not 500, but 5000 active participants - or at least nodes

We are patting ourselves on the back (and rightly) for our recent testnets but I am willing to bet we did not have anything like 5000 instances of sn_node running.

Going O/T here, I wonder if we can get some idea of the numbers participating in the testnets early next week? Im not putting us down but I fear it may have been closer to 50 than 500.

I see this conversation as being ONLY around the stock ticker on the exchanges. I see no reason to change anything else that we are doing just because there is an operation with a similar name. The activities of the each project will differentiate themselves just fine.
I could be wrong though - lets do some careful research first before any aggressive attempts at name-grabbing.
Tread carefully and wisely here and we might have some ready made apps and allies for when we launch - I dunno - so far I have read two pages of a translated website. We need the advice of a native Chinese speaker for starters to get the actual meaning of what they are saying on their site. Hell I don’t even know if that is Mandarin Cantonese or some other dialect. Are they PRC, Hong Kong or Taiwan, Singapore?

1 Like

Why not ST for Safe Token

4 Likes

A very quick look at

suggests this lot are at the very least organised and have competent developers - I make no critique of the code, merely observing it exists. I think we should be reaching out to this team and looking to make friends and build links, rather than attempting to usurp their perfectly valid use of the word/ticker “safe”.
I am certain we have community members who are fluent in both English and the various languages spoken in China. Perhaps one of them can read their site in the original and inform us of what , if any, common ground we have and to the extent of their reach and reputation in the Asian market?

I like the S idea.

4 Likes

I’m totally with Southside on this one. No need to pick a fight unnecessarily. At the very least it will confuse if we want to be on the same exchanges someday for conversion in and out of fiat. I like “S”, “SN”, “ST”, “SENT”, “SF”, etc.

Renaming the company also seems like a lot of unnecessary extra work. I can only imagine the paperwork involved and there will always be nagging questions to answer. Not a huge fan of “MAID” as a symbol anyway and MAID could be out in the wild in some form at the same time as “SN”.

3 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: ‘S’ as a possible ticker for SAFE and the consequent memes

If there are two SNT, when you search SNT on the coinmarketcap. The site show you two coins both. So it is not problem.

5 Likes

Plent of options not taken like for example XS,SN,XSF,SF,XSNT,SFNT…

1 Like

I’m going with SaNT’s (for pronunciation) … so SANT (as symbol) … but just ‘S’ is also cool.

1 Like

SNT becoming globally adopted makes a lot of [Safe] Snts.

1 Like

The German based non-profit “International Token Standardization Association” is focusing on trying to bring some order to the chaos (perhaps good, perhaps not). Whatever is chosen it might be prudent to register it there and also secure an ITIN. Although it does not look like any of the major exchanges Binance etc care about them.

So far tokens and exchanges chose ticker symbols deliberately. As a result the same token might trade under different ticker symbols on different exchanges or different tokens might be even listed under the same symbol. For instance, Bitcoin can either be found under the symbol XBT, BTC or BTX. This is not only confusing and but also represents a risk for investors and other market players.
With the International Token Identification Number (ITIN) ITSA is developing and implementing an open market standard for the safe and secure identification of cryptographic tokens. Its large implementation will drastically increase transparency and reduce operational risks.

2 Likes

The name has changed to Safe Network Token, what people actually call them we will have to wait and see!

I’m just going to call them Irvines, no matter what the ticker will be.

3 Likes

NT ?

Network token. How long before the Safe Network will just be referred to as the Network.

11 Likes

May as well just go with NET then. Or is that one taken?

Or SNET? …

Maybe SNTX…