Will maidsafe network be able to run any blockchain

My question is a beginner question, will I for example be able to take NXT plattform and run a node on the maidsafe network, for the purpose of creating storage for the nxt market, to create a ebay type of app within the nxt wallet to connect with outside server nxt nodes.
Or will nxt plattform be able to link storage to maidsafe network…

1 Like

Hi, I am not that informed on this particular subject but you may be able to find your answer here. Cheers.

1 Like

It depends on your goals. Bridges are entirely feasible, but you will lose some or potentially all of the privacy, security, DDoS protection, no censorship type benefits. SAFE can’t extend these outside its own network, so if these are important it would be better to build directly in SAFE

2 Likes

I am not completely sure, but I think what you can do is run a client of you favourite blockchain based currency on your machine and use the maidsafe drive to store the blockchain. And if you do so publicly, and others do the same, deduplication might allow you to save a lot of money when uploading the blockchain…

2 Likes

It does seem like this may be a very big feature…

When you have something like the Bitcoin Blockchain that is 40 GB worth of data and growing, saved thousands of times all around the world, SAFE basically allows it to be saved redundantly and decentralized, but only a few times accessible to all.

1 Like

It could be indeed an important feature, especially if/when bitcoin increases the block size. Maybe for miners the latency could become a problem (we don’t know the latency of the safe network yet) but with old blocks, with few or no unspent transactions, you can do it for sure.

And if you are concerned that redundancy is to low if all nodes upload the same blockchain, you can team up with a group of nodes, and all use the same symmetric key to encrypt the blockchain, so you share the cost of uploading at least among these nodes. There could even be a public list of such “keys”, and every node can choose from this list, similar to choosing a download mirror (just not for balancing download load, but upload redundancy)…

2 Likes

The great thing about storing a blockchain on safe net would be two fold. Firstly, attempting to store any point in the blockchain should be free and instant (assuming nothing is uploaded if a matching data hash is found). Secondly, every new block only needs to be saved once, so assuming consensus, it is very likely adding to the blockchain will be free/instant too.

In short, it would solve the blockchain size issue completely, helping it scale much more easily. Ofc, every node will still have to process every transaction, which is another scalability issue, but sidestepping blockchain bloat is a huge win. Arguably, it should be an ideal candidate for the de-duplication algorithm in fact!

1 Like

Yes it will be able to. It is just another application.

The great thing about it is that the Bitcoin blockchain can be hosted on safe net, meaning you never need to download the file and you are still able to use it.