What’s up today? (Part 1)

Hmm - looks like a scam

6 Likes

Yeah I am pretty sure I did not provide my name either. Would love to know how they know I use Ledger I do know I set it up right after a fresh OS install and have not used it since.

Ahh… per your link @JPL

In July, the Ledger team discovered an API key related to their e-commerce and marketing database was exploited, and the database accessed by an unauthorized third party. The database details (mostly email addresses) were used to send order confirmations and promotional emails.

3 Likes

That’s a bit scary - did you order it by mail? Perhaps they got it from there, or from your credit card details? - It sounds like quite a targeted attack.

1 Like

Yes ordered it from Ledger, well done Ledger! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Similarly, as you say - here in the center of the old continent, it’s 15€ for symmetrical 100Mbit and even better 35€ for symmetrical 1Gbit.
Once Safe Network is ready, bandwidth is not a bottleneck in here. Hard to get real equality of opportunity guys.

4 Likes

Definitely not rural unless that is kbps

1 Like

Haha no, but I’m not exactly in the city, just had a deer walk past my window.

I remember years ago living in London I got 20Mbit and I thought that I was the bees knees :joy:.
Not sure how much it has changed since I left but for a major city getting a decent connection there sucked.

1 Like

“Rural” is very relative. Some would view all of Finland as just one big forest with a bunch of lakes spread out here and there. Now some of our politicians have gotten it into their heads they want to turn the capital Helsinki into a “Metropolis”. I guess they like the word, but the main reason for moving administrative or county borders around is obviously to influence how voters and tax revenue are counted. The fact is, even if you consider all of Finland’s five million people to be living in one very spread out city, it’s hardly enough to make it a metropolis like Shanghai, Tokyo, Moscow or New York.

I visited somebody in the UK once. They lived in the countryside and referred to something as “the forest” or “the woods” (I don’t remember which word was used.) At first I didn’t understand what they meant, until I realized they were talking about what to me was just some shrubbery growing near the house.

Now I live only about 40 nautical miles from the center of our capital, but it’s definitely the sticks, although it’s not Lapland. Finland generally has pretty good internet coverage, despite the distances, and you often get unlimited data with your plan. I think places like Korea and Estonia have it better, but still. The reason people in the US have such notoriously bad connections even for telephones is political, with large companies monopolizing the infrastructure.

I’m paying about 35 €/month for unlimited calls, text and data. I use my phone for tethering. The actual speed varies depending on location. I guess 5-100 Mbit/s depending on where I am.

4 Likes

https://btiverified.com/crypto-market-data-report-2020/

2 Likes

Interesting. Though I don’t think much of Nomics design.

I did not realise that this was a perception from abroad. From Europe I think it is probably a justified view in comparison.
I do some work for a couple of the larger providers here in the states and can definitely attest to a very old and not so well looked after copper network, but for modern infrastructure such as 5G and fiber is quite the opposite, lots of money spent.

1 Like

More name confusion: “SAFE Stack”

1 Like

I haven’t visited the US since the 80’s, so I have no personal experience. But aren’t even practically all phones sold tied to one specific operator? That sounds like real competition is practically impossible, especially if you live in a rural area and are not tech-savvy enough to crack your own phone.

Well, I don’t think comparing to Somalia or Honduras or some such place would make much sense.

1 Like

Fair enough.

I can only speak for what I see in the areas I work, a few states in the SE, yes the smaller companies lease infrastructure from the big dog.

2 Likes

A lot of rural areas have no other choice for fast broadband.

Edit: we get about 15mbit download max at my relatively rural location.

2 Likes

Change over time…

8 Likes
1 Like

m-ld is an API for decentralised shared state with offline first style editing. Haven’t looked under the hood, but it might be interesting to look at how they’ve structured the API (MIT License):

Via the author on the Solid forum:

The author also created json-rql which uses JSON-LD to define queries that are translated into SPARQL or labelled graph queries, and this is used to implement the m-ld API:

Looks like the kind of thing which might help @bochaco and @joshuef think about the Safe APIs which I guess we’re closing in on!

5 Likes

Interesting website overall … recent article:

4 Likes

I suspect that they’ll have to allow it for exports too (maybe already did?) otherwise they’ll run short pretty quickly.