US Police filing warrants for Android location data

From the verge.com: “Police are filing warrants for Android’s vast store of location data” :

So investigators tried a new trick: they called Google. In an affidavit filed on February 8th, nearly a year after the initial robbery, the FBI requested location data pulled from Graham’s Samsung Galaxy G5. Investigators had already gone to Graham’s wireless carrier, AT&T, but Google’s data was more precise, potentially placing Graham inside the bank at the time the robbery was taking place. “Based on my training and experience and in consultation with other agents,” an investigator wrote, “I believe it is likely that Google can provide me with GPS data, cell site information and Wi-fi access points for Graham’s phone.”

That data is collected as the result of a little-known feature in Google Maps that builds a comprehensive history of where a user has been — information that’s proved valuable to police and advertisers alike. A Verge investigation found affidavits from two different cases from the last four months in which police have obtained court orders for Google’s location data. (Both are embedded below.) Additional orders may have been filed under seal or through less transparent channels.

:open_mouth:

That’s insane and scary woow!

1 Like

yikes.:fearful:

Step 1) Get people on SAFE :slight_smile:
Step 2) Get HARDWARE on SAFE!!!

7 Likes

In a similar vein: there was an article posted on twitter yesterday or the day before (which I didn’t read) claiming that a court has decided that last enforcement can access the location data on your phone without a court order.

Writing for the majority, Judge Diana Motz said obtaining cell-site information did not violate the protection
against unreasonable searches found in the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution because cellphone users are generally aware that they are voluntarily sharing such data with their provider.

“Anyone who has stepped outside to ‘get a signal,’ or has warned a caller of a potential loss of service before entering an elevator, understands, on some level, that location matters,” Motz wrote.

In other words, if you have a mobile phone you have effectively volunteered to be spied on without constraint.

3 Likes

“In other words, if you have a mobile phone you have effectively volunteered to be spied on without constraint.”

No, at least on my android I turn on location and I can turn it off and I go into google settings and turn it off too.

2 Likes

And it stands to reason that the police in any of the countries where Google has a corporate presence will obtain such warrants.