Solid on SAFE Updates

In your Discussion of Genetic/Open Ended Algorithms on SAFE I mentioned a possible opportunity to apply an algorithmic/safe/solid approach when ready to a existing Health application. This application has been adopted by a NHS Foundation Trust/Global Digital Exemplar NHS organisation.
I tried to locate the TBL link you referred to but no luck. Do you have any information re how/where Solid is being applied with the Greater Manchester digital platform/health application and could you comment on the gaps i.e.where they will find Solid lacking in key respects which Solid on SAFE can address? :thinking:. This would be very helpful to a Project Business Case/Proposal I am working on.

3 Likes

I also looked for more info about this. Inrupt play their cards very close to their chest. It doesn’t seem to be much more than a press release at this stage.

2 Likes

John is correct that Inrupt have not given any more details, except to say they are bound by a non disclosure agreement over the project.

I’ve raised my concerns wrt Solid and data privacy a few times on the Solid forum or gitter chat but they remain unaddressed. Most recently here and here. SAFE solves all the issues I’ve raised, which are all related to the use of servers and the ‘pods as a service’ model, and the fact that data is not encrypted at rest in Solid for the foreseeable future (ie no plans or discussions have set out ways to change this).

7 Likes

Sophia

Lots to like here! LinkdData / RDF toolkit in Rust with plans to add SPARQL support (wow!) and be available in the browser via Web Assembly (which will be compatible with the RDF/JS standard).

One to watch.

Here is a long overdue release of Sophia (http://crates.io/crates/sophia), a linked data toolkit for the Rust programming language.

What’s new since v0.3.0:

What’s coming next:

That’s a lot going on, and I’m very grateful to all the people who have contributed, submitted issues, or simply expressed their interest in this project.

Link

14 Likes

Say Editor

Intellisense style annotations of documents with RDFa as you type. Open source project - TLDR link.

Looks very interesting to say the least:

https://say-editor.com/

3 Likes

I played with ember a while back, it was pretty cool actually. This integrates very well there.

3 Likes

openEngiadina is a project building a Semantic Social Network is an example of the use of Linked Data that would work well on SAFE Network, although they are currently basing it on a federated, self hosted server model:

openEngiadina is an effort towards creating a platform for open local knowledge.

The project was started in 2019 in order to allow locals in the alpine valley of Engadin to make their cultural and natural heritage more accessible to visitors.

We quickly realized that local communities and organizations need to be able to create, manage and use their data for more than tourism. openEngiadina supports diverse communities and organizations in creating, sharing and using open local knowledge

https://openengiadina.net/

5 Likes

Not strictly Solid, but related, I’ve been playing with SPARQL which is a query language for Linked Data.

Using dbPedia’s SPARQL endpoint I’ve made an example which creates a graph for Cnut the Great.

Try at: http://vlab.happybeing.com

• ‘SPARQL Query’ in first drop down
  • ‘Cnut the Great and relatives’ in second drop down
  • `Run Query’
  • Scroll down for graph (click/drag/hover nodes)
  • Uncheck ‘Show only the following fields’ to see the triples.
2 Likes

Two new features in VisLab - now almost useful :wink:

1. Search dbPedia for People
  2. Network graph shows type/gender, photo and rulership!

Try it: vlab.happybeing.com
Tip: hover over nodes.

More dbPedia searches in preparation.

2 Likes

Hi @happybeing

Are there any updates on this topic?

I’m afraid not without an API in Safe Browser. I’m also unsure when or if I’ll have time to update this. For me this is probably a post launch area, unless somebody wants to pick it up before I get around to it (if indeed I do!).

6 Likes

Ok thanks for the update. And thanks for all the great work.

3 Likes

Hi @happybeing
Is compatibility with Solid still in the planning of the Safe Network?
I see them as both equally important to get a future where (personal) data is in a great place.
And as @Sonder said as well, thanks for all the great work!

4 Likes

I’m not aware of any actual plans but I still poke around asking questions from time to time. Such as how feasible it would be to support ActivityPub using libp2p services, which is something Solid uses.

3 Likes