SAFE Network Dev Update - May 16, 2019

You can get me on that list, @JimCollinson.

Was trying to be all clever and use “, and” in my reply… then read yours again. Bum.

3 Likes

I had to fight a very strong to raise that comma as a bug. I really wanted to!

5 Likes

Well, I could have left the last comma off of course, if I wanted to imply that Nadia and Dug were somehow a couple. But I thought no, I’ll not embarrass anyone, I’ll use the CORRECT punctuation.

9 Likes

Surely the irony here is that the list of people in favour of the Oxford Comma is so short that it doesn’t require an Oxford Comma!

13 Likes

I see. Bit of context: I had just before read this pull request

The reason for this change is that relying on the concrete coin breaks a critical assumption necessary for the dynamic membership to work. The assumption is this…

…Turns out the assumption does not hold because the concrete coin doesn’t guarantee the same result for everyone, only that it gives the same result after a bounded number of rounds, which is not sufficient.

…which to my untrained ear sounds like serious problem, and there I still see this green tick on the Roadmap. So in my laymans point of view it’s like :astonished:

5 Likes

I have the impression of two divergent approaches as to the form or timing of the launch

One colder and corrected by VIV tests and another more enthusiastic and adventurous.

Without wanting to give more priority to one or the other.

I only hope what you say

“If pushed I would say both would succeed and that is also good”

1 Like

I love the new roadmap! Great for non-technical people like me :smile:

7 Likes

And for supposedly technical people like me.

9 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: MaidSafeCoin (MAID) - Price & Trading topic

A lot to read (when more awake) :slight_smile:
Thanks for the hard work, Viv!
Are we not drawn onward , Viv, drawn onward to new era.
FYI: that is a palindrome sentence.

2 Likes

Always sad seeing a big member who has provided great leadership leaving the project at a critical time, but looking forward to seeing what David can do joining the fray as CTO. Wasn’t the original MaidSafe project in an older probably smaller scoped design written in python in his basement :laughing: ? Time to become a god at RUST and return to the basement for a few weeks with the rest of the CORE dev team.

3 Likes

firstly, thanks everyone for the wishes :smiley: it’s been great to have been(and hopefully continue) being a part of this community and the team working on this project for a lil while :wink:

Not all decisions have been easy and this certainly wasnt one of them with a decent part of a year going into the thought process there with permutations and sorts. so no hasty decisions at all in that regard from any of us. We’ve scaled as a team/company/community quite a bit and the team we have right now imo is certainly well equipped to achieve any of the network requirements ofc given the clarity those requirements need and the time to have the teams engage on them constructively.

I’d certainly hope so and is certainly a key factor in my choices here. While I dont think I’d see/heard the differences between david and myself in terms of mode of driving teams as what david mentioned(hey thats not the first time we disagree and surely not gonna be the last either :stuck_out_tongue: like I’d be after timescales in most milestones barring design and that comes from a well defined scope for me with margins ofc in a process that is iterative) I think we’d certainly share the pov for why this project is crucial and its importance. Quite a lot of downtime that goes into detail switching interim milestone/project executions and sorts should hopefully not have to exist this way and thus prevent a cherry pick effect of changes and confusions/vague directions that stem from that for the wider teams.

So overall this change should hopefully make things more consistent/clear to the teams and help drive the system towards its milestones with pace. Thats what we all signed up for ofc :slight_smile:

54 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to comment on this. It is good to hear you are upbeat and optimistic about the future of the team and it’s capabilities to deliver.

Good luck in the future and I hope you stay in touch with the project and the community! :slight_smile:

22 Likes

Great update! Much to process. Best wishes @Viv

We will SurVIVe !!

10 Likes

Great stuff team. The Roadmap is becoming clearer and clearer to us non techo types. A bit of grunt to go but it’s getting tangibly nearer.
Thanks for your truly amazing efforts Viv. 8 years is a long time in any gig. Did you think of asking for a 6 month sabbatical. Only joking. I’m sure there is only good karma ahead.
Great work to the whole team and keep the momentum going

12 Likes

Reading between the lines (possibly misreading), I hope @dirvine finds someone else to lock horns with, someone he considers his equal or better technically, like @viv. That sort of creative tension is important in moving forward and avoiding cul de sacs (Lennon and McCartney etc).

10 Likes

Right. A leader focussing on vision, values, principles and structure, and a leader focussing on execution, proofs and quality, working together as a team of equals is what I hope for.

6 Likes

Excellent update - inclusive of the Oxford Comma, which–as all right thinking people know–is the only appropriate way to distill discrete thoughts, ideas, and concepts in the written word. :wink:

I’m also loving the SAFE Fundamentals posts, which really help to articulate the SAFE Network’s essence. As always, seeing the ship pick up speed as the project is de-risked is absolutely exhilarating!! :smile:

Thanks everyone, too, for helping to spread the word on the next SAFE Network: Chicago meetup!

14 Likes

I have a lot of respect for you @Sotros25 but in the crucial question of comma placement you are wrong, wrong, wrong.

Good luck with the meetup by the way! :smile:

5 Likes

Haha, I lay before you this simple example:
“I invited Bob, Joe and Susy to the party” has a different meaning from “I invited Bob, Joe, and Susy to the party”. The former implies Joe and Susy are a unit (perhaps a couple), whereas the later implies they are equally as single as Bob.

And now, I’m going to duck and hide before Neo says we’re off topic here…

17 Likes