SAFE Network Dev Update - May 16, 2019

Excellent style and grammar critique.

6 Likes

Thanx for all the hard work @Viv !!

22 Likes

Great update, lot of work and great results.

Updated website, new roadmapā€¦ it is masterpiece.

Thank you @Viv for all the hard work in 8 years!

12 Likes

Me too and I agree!

Although the statement of PARSEC as completed seems bit contradictory to this line in this Dev Update:

ā€¦ especially when it seems that this bug really was interfering with the core function of PARSEC.

7 Likes

All bugs are really. So any we find we do treat as significant as we want parsec to be a production-ready library. All bugs are bad there, but we do want to see common-coin there as well to allow full async.

7 Likes

Not sure how I missed that link, but I agree - they look great and are exactly what I want to see on the website!

11 Likes

Thank you, @Nadia! :kissing_heart:
And everybody else too, of course. I really do appreciate these weekly updates and the openness.

Screw you, @JPL. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What am I missing here? :confused:

Bless you, @dlux! :+1:

7 Likes

Iā€™m not an Oxford Comma fan :wink: but if it was up to me Iā€™d also get rid of 90% of the usage of the word ā€˜thatā€™ also :laughing:

4 Likes

Well, it could mean that Fleming is a disaster and heā€™s lost faith in the vision of SAFE, or it could mean that all of the hard and challenging parts are out of the way and finishing it should be so easy as to be boring.

Or it could be any number of other things, but those two scenarios seem like the worst and best cases.

I hope when the masses eventually embrace SAFE, @Viv will be recognized as a key part of its success.

10 Likes

I really love these ideas. I was actually wondering if it would be possible to get alerts when items were checked off ā€¦ Iā€™m not sure what would be required to enable this (the man hours, etc), but my guess is that it would be used by quite a few community members.

7 Likes

So, should the Roadmap be changed in a way that PARSEC is not marked as completed?

Iā€™m not claiming that it should, Iā€™m just wary of you sending mixed messages, especially when it could be interpreted as you trying to make things look better than they are - which I know is not your intention.

4 Likes

We will make sure he is.

17 Likes

Strong update. Thanks for the progress, clearer website, and unpublished data addition

5 Likes

Just to add, I think the roadmap is critical if fundraising is required. Having this stuff out in the open really helps on many fronts.

8 Likes

I understand why you find this confusing but finding a bug is different to ā€˜not completeā€™. It would be more confusing if items were marked incomplete every time a bug was found - bugs are found even after launch, so it wouldnā€™t make sense to do this. Complete means the code is complete, but not perfect/bug free.

17 Likes

No, it is as complete as we would expect, but we will find bugs from time to time I think, The key will be going from version X ā†’ Y really and say do not use x, if the bug is bad enough. This one is tricky but we are OK saying it is a maintenance release. Until there is a reference in a formal language it is difficult, also the BLS/common coin is also coming so that will be another update, but probably not for launch, but we will see.

No politician, but we donā€™t perceive more resources there after this and before launch if that makes sense?

13 Likes

Yeah, sounds reasonable and this is about how I thought it to be. It just caught my eye.

5 Likes

Iā€™m with you on a lot of these points - some of it is a question of style rather than right / wrong grammar though. Eg, my initial reaction was to raise issues around many of the uses of semi colons as I personally wouldnā€™t use them like that.

One other thing, we use British English so weā€™re working to standardise styleā€¦ :wink:

4 Likes

Sorry to dwell on this, but Iā€™m trying to extract the positives here. We all appreciate the work that Viv has done, but should this latest change allow @dirvine to more directly influence the direction of the engineering team? I sense there is a renewed focus to get a working network into the wild and this feels like a part of this puzzle.

I know it may be unprofessional to comment too deeply on this, but if we were to focus on the positives, what changes will this new structure usher in?

13 Likes

There is nothing can be said that would undermine or diminish @Viv s contributions as you are noting. each CTO will drive his/her own ship. I am very much project management/ RFC (design docs/scope/detail etc.) focussed. Viv is much more what do you want I will make it happen. So different approaches, but a joint desire to succeed. I would not want to bet which is best, but in this case I also would bet that both approaches have the same desire to succeed and that is really very good indeed. If pushed I would say both would succeed and that is also good. In terms of energy focus, Viv is like nothing I have ever seen or worked with, smart, sharp and very focussed. I am not like that and could not compete, I would not want to even try. He did what was needed and as a community, we cannot thank him enough and we must not underestimate his contribution. Now though, lets launch :wink:

30 Likes