Pre-Dev-Update Thread! Yay! :D

You trolling me now too? :grin:

5 Likes

Some may see a troll avatar as a badge of honour. Moi?

Edit: my first reaction to @traktion’s suggestion was positive, but on reflection I think it better to apply a reduction in privileges (much like we plan to punish missing vaults).

So for example to a drop in trust level or restriction in posting frequency etc (something that can be earned back).

I agree with @oetyng that it isn’t a serious issue and that there are dangers in over reacting, but applying mild sanctions could strike the right balance.

6 Likes

Turn that negative!.. basic of marketing. Lite trolls if that’s what they are. There is no negative that can withstand the positive of this project and the community that understands the intent.

I was pondering the other day the marketing should not be a promise of a network that cannot fail but rather of an intent from us all that we will do whatever is needed to ensure it does not. Such a promise to never, is a proof of negative proposition; it seems more natural that those beings that exist, try to survive against the odds.

Live long safely :+1:

4 Likes

Lets use the strength of the principles of the network here. It’s up to the individual to mute any user whose posts they do not want to see for ANY reason. It’s YOUR choice. Yes a ban could be imposed by the mods but I think this should only be a real last resort.

perhaps the mods could pin the instructions for muting a user?

4 Likes

Try to find a more productive way of expressing your impatience, then.
When was the last time you looked through the issues on Github to see if there was any little thing you could help with?

4 Likes

You and others feel this way because you have an unrealistic view of how long software development takes. Many projects require 100 to 1000+ devyears to accomplish. If you had dev experience you folks would see that things are progressing quite nicely. I recommend searching online for info on how long other projects take to complete based on devyears.

Edit: Iirc ethereum has about 35000 developers for example. How many years have they been working on it?

5 Likes

Right like you expected this development to last so long, if even the CEO here thought the releases will be sooner, if you dont think I am correct read through older posts or even watch interviews where this becomes obvious.

I think that is precisely the problem, I think its fair to say we all want it yesterday but most accept it for what it is and being negative toward people busting ass to deliver what we want is not helpful to anyone.

5 Likes

And I always will. You see if you are not optimistic then it’s hard to be innovative. You don’t find many pessimistic innovators. Some may say, then be realistic and that is what we are, it will launch when we have done all the work to achieve that. We will achieve that faster with positive energy, I have seen the results of negativity and it’s energy sapping and burns folk out.

So negativity as you know is a killer for innovation and can only make things slower. So keep being negative and I guarantee it will be slower to launch. Your shout!

21 Likes

You’re witnessing the difference. No one wants to ban, as that is part of the enemy. Those that would sabotage Safe Network could come troll the forum to get people to betray their own principles, negating the effort before it’s started. The solution isn’t a centralized banning that can be abused, but encouraging a distributed ability to filter out noise. If you don’t like what I’m suggesting, you can ignore me and encourage others to do likewise. I might even go away if I think I’m talking to myself.

9 Likes
1 Like

The problem with ignores is that it doesn’t help those who rarely frequent the forum from soaking up the negativity. It also means that people who are ignoring are unable to offer an alternative view point. In many ways, trolls would like regulars to ignore them, as it clears the way for more undisputed trolling.

Distributed comes in many ways too, e.g. subscribing user managed white/black lists, with subscription to a moderator ran list being the default.

3 Likes

I wish someday we could automate these things to save not only negativity which is a pretty poor low, but also to find real connections in research etc. It’s always scary though in case we get silo’d in echo chambers (the blue pill). In any case I love to surround myself with optimists, interesting folk and most of all honesty. If I could filter just for those folk then it would be bliss. Be a great place and every so often switch off the filter to remind yourself why it’s there. :smiley:

6 Likes

Only 167 hours until the next weekly update! :eyes: I’m so excited. :crab::crab::crab:

13 Likes

Far from a perfect answer but the non-permanance of the ignore function - you can only set it to 4 months max - is a great feature.
Those who have triggered you into an ignore or mute will reappear after a set time. It is to be hoped that things may have changed during that time.

2 Likes

I agree, it is a nice feature.

2 Likes

Well, some things are harder to time then others. Gouda cheese for example is easier: 1) ageing/ripening time, 2) time to consume 3) time to throw away :wink:

2 Likes

harsh, but fair – chapeau, sir

Baby Fleming release announcement today ?

https://github.com/maidsafe/safe_vault/pull/952
https://github.com/maidsafe/routing/pull/2062
https://github.com/maidsafe/safe_vault/pull/951

4 Likes

Hang on. Just checking the I Ching…

2 Likes