[Poll]: full OMNI to ERC20 swap

Because you have STILL not adequately addressed the tax problem. And unfortunately, I doubt you can ever. This is a major project with many long term investors, not some shitcoin plaything on the DEXs
Until you can assure us that the potential losses to the project do not exceed the costs of listing on the major exchanges then it is simply prudent to continue to explore both methods.

2 Likes

This is a fictional problem. Give me 1 case of someone complaining that he was asked for taxes when a project moves to a new token? I searched and did not findā€¦

How can I prove to you that something does not exist? I donā€™t have a sister, but someone can say that my sister is a ā€œlightā€ woman, how can I prove that she is not - she does not exist? :lol:

Privacy. Security. Freedom

3 Likes

I prefer ladies of medium build. You sister is safe with me.

2 Likes

My sister is Safe with everyone :wink:

3 Likes

Its not a question of WHEN

It is HOW it moves to a new token and how the tax authorities in each jurisdiction treat the migration mechanism. How many different tax jurisdictions do you think we have MAID holders in?
Who is to say to those that lose out ā€œOh thats tough shit, pal, but most of the rest of us managed to avoid tax penalties?ā€
All this seems to place an intolerable burden on David and the maidsafe company until you can adequately answer that question

In all honesty who is watching what MAID is doing? We can barely stay on exchanges. I also believe from a US perspective that we would not trigger a tax liability. I canā€™t speak for your guys across the sea but this seems like a non issue.

1 Like

There are 1000 ways to solve this problem.

For example, imagine that the community decided to copy the first section in the beginning to get rid of the stolen tokens from Poloniex - it is clear that we can not return them to the victims, but at least we can stop them from dumping them on our heads and steal more value.

So while you imagine it, imagine how the community made its own Safe token and distributed it to all current holders of the OMNI token, but through the ERC20 token - there is 0 value initially and 0 taxes.

There are many ways to make things completely decentralized without the company MaidSafe.

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to believe that was true.
To be fair, thereā€™s LOTS of things Iā€™d like to believe was trueā€¦

This is the crypto world. People do things decentralized, we donā€™t have to dump all decisions on one person. We can organize ourselves and act on our own.

2 Likes

Not if it impacts the company or its officers you canā€™t. Sorry

I will trust what David decides when he has time to look at this. Are you willing to crowdfund lawyers to investigate the possible tax implications to the company and the holders of your preferred mechanism?
I would love to be proved wrong but I doubt this would be a valid use of Bamboo Garden funds.

1 Like

I donā€™t think you understood me.

In my mental experiment, we imagine that the community announces that it will take the Safe code when it is ready and launch its one network on day 1, and now release 10% of the tokens and distribute them to all MAID OMNI holders via ERC20. Where is David in this mental experiment? There is no responsibility for him.

3 Likes

As long as people are still able to leave their coins in OMNI, and we have all said that should be a given, then it is not necessary to make sure that NOBODY has to pay taxes with the swap.

We just need enough countries to make the project worthwhile, which would include consideration for any tax implications for the company itself.

2 Likes

Fair enough - but WHO is to decide

and what are the criteria for
ā€œenough countriesā€
and
ā€œworthwhileā€

Cos these all seem like arbitrary value judgements that are sadly unlikely to quickly be agreed on by all parties.

I know we are all wanting to move quickly to a solution but there still seems to be so much potential for disagreement, bad feeling and potential loss for at least some of our holders.
Who is willing to tell them ā€œSorry - it suits most of the rest of usā€ ?
And like ā€œenough countriesā€ ā€œmostā€ is a very ill-defined term.

Please dont get me wrong, I want this to work. I want it to work for everybody, though
Its kinda basic to the ethos of the project IMHO

Hard to say, but I suspect it will be easier to see if there are any countries in which it DOES create a tax burden, and make a determination from there. I suspect the number of these countries will be small, but thatā€™s merely speculation.

Edit: actually, that doesnā€™t seem easier, thinking about it.

However, my biggest concern is whether it causes a divergence between the OMNI and ERC20 token price. I havenā€™t read enough of the thread to know if this has been discussed.

totally agree - but WHO is going to pay to find out where these tax jurisdictions are - and the likely no MAID holders affected?
We need more data.
Iā€™d like to see a full paper on the proposal, not just snippets from posts.

In a perverse sort of way it is up to Maidsafe to obtain the tax advice as would any company considering corporate restructuring of any kind. It just depends on the timing

And I donā€™t think it is Maidsafeā€™s responsibility to hunt down every jurisdiction involved. Just the key oneā€™s differentiated by residents and non residents. All advice givers round off their advice by saying ā€œget your own adviceā€

2 Likes

This may well be true - and probably is IANA(T)L

next question has to be thenā€¦
Who stops developing and manages the tax discovery process - and what budget will be needed to complete this in a reasonable time?

Hiring and briefing someone with the reqd skills will take money and more importantly time.

Most First and second tier firms have the skills. They operate on a global basis and have go to staff. Itā€™s not that difficult an issue for them

It would probably be wise to wrap the ERC 20 and SNT swap question into the advice.

It would take a phone call to get a quote.

I donā€™t know if the Maidsafe Board need to approve the issue first

The downside of getting this advice, if it is positive news, then listing on other exchanges will probably increase the price of Maid. No more Ohsocheap Maid

1 Like

@Dimitar do you know what are average fees on most popular DEX ?

With ETH 2.0 it is going to drop a bit ?

1 Like