canshould soon be able to check a live proof of concept on : http://safeshare.safenet
Please note that you will need the 0.8.0 Safe Network launcher to be able to access this version.
*** EDIT 08-18-2016 - I should be able to put safeshare back in a working state once safenet.js is updated to v0.5 api - otherwise I may try to use a more recent library if I can find one that does the job - until then, I set a work in progess warning. ***
The source is available here : https://github.com/wrnice/safeshare
The main purpose of the application is to easily produce safe links to uploaded material, just as you would do in pastebin, imagebin or the like, and have the data live secure, permanent and encrypted in the Safe Network. Then you can share these links with your friends, collegues, developers mates… using existing communication means such as regular email, chat, websites… or inside safe using upcoming tools such as Decorum or Ghost in the Safe , or a much anticipated native Safe messaging tool !
My hope is that it can demonstrate how a well designed UI can combine with the Safe launcher’s handyness into a painless point and click experience of secure encrypted communication, specially aimed at people without technical background. Hopefully it can be attractive for newcomers and become one of many showcase applications to advertise the Safe Network.
Please note that this is a work in progress, and that it comes with limitations and known issues :
- It lives in regular clearnet browsers, that are DESIGNED to LEAK and REPORT your personal information. As long as we don’t have a proper Safe Browser that ignores privacy breach methods to access these apps , DO NOT CONSIDER YOU ARE SAFE.
- It lives on a alpha state network. As such, the data is neither really safe and secure, nor is it permanent. Please DO NOT USE IT FOR SENSIBLE OR IMPORTANT DATA. IT WILL BE LOST.
- For the same reason, posts are limited to 500 per client.
- As a workaround until we have working Structured Data, it uses a dirty hack and creates a service for each file uploaded. This is certainly not very sexy, but does the job for a proof of concept.
Deleting is not yet supported. Once you publish something, you cannot take it off the network. I’ll work on it soon.
- It is rather big, as the code is still quite commented and made easy to read and work on. Once things get more polished I plan to minify it into a light single js. So for now, allow it some time to load.
It has no branding, I need to figure a logo or a background image to make it representative of the Safe network.
It lacks a proper progress indication - For now you think the upload is done in less than a second, but the actual upload to the Safe network takes longer, depending on the file size. The link is created and a cached local version is displayed instantly, which may lead to the wrong sentiment that the upload is finished.
- A progress bar with percents of completed upload would be nice. I need to figure out a way to get this information from safenet.js
Future plans are to make it an autonomous application, to circumvent the current privacy browser issues, and to adress the above mentioned limitations.
I am working on this on my own time, and am putting quite some efforts into this, with the hope to give good visibility for the Safe Netywork and help provide secure and safe communication tools for all of us. I have included a donation button and link for btc or Maid, so if you feel this work is useful for you, or that it can be beneficial for us all, please do not hesitate to help with any amount that you feel is justice. Any penny or beer counts