[Overview] Translation of SAFE components into different languages

This list definitely makes sense for the german language. however, maybe we cannot
apply the same list to all the languages. would have been nice to have it uniform but who
is to say that in other languages there are no good translations for some of these
words… perhaps this list needs to looks slightly different from language to language.

2 Likes

Well, what @BambooGarden says. These words translate very poorly into german, that’s why started the list in the first place. Additionally most people are getting used to having english words with a technical background in our linguistic usage, wallet for example. Therefore we decided that we wanted to keep the original terms. Your mileage may vary though :smile:

With that being said, I don’t think we shouldn’t translate words that are the names of the SAFE programs. Take the inbox app from google for example, you wouldn’t translate that name either, or would you? So I would suggest that we at least use the SAFE specific terms in their original form, but of course this is only my personal take on it.

2 Likes

I agree that it would be nice to have the SAFE specific stuff uniform. Maybe the core-devs have a take
on this as well?

In any case, it won’t be hard to find and replace those words in the end when the translations are done :smile:

2 Likes

Due to the fact russian lang contrast much more from english than french or german (your langs relate to the same lang group), I see great difference in using original words, so I’ll find a compromise. But I agree that the names of MaidSafe Libraries shouldnt be translated.

1 Like

Alright, I just finished translating the last chapter to german. @BambooGarden will do the review for the outstanding chapter and that should be it then. I’d say that I’ll send you the finished translations separately, if that’s ok with you guys.

I asked the rest of the guys a couple of days ago about the status.

• Spanish was already done almost 3 weeks ago (thanks to digipl) although I have no idea how he did so fast :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Dutch and russian are still work in progress.
  • I haven’t heard back yet about the status for bulgarian and french, but I’m sure they’ll let me know as soon as they’re finished with it.
  • I wrote a message to the guys who said they might do a translation to chinese, but haven’t had any feedback on that. I still think this would be really great to release something in mandarin, we’ll see if somebody is willing to pick that up once TN3 starts.

I’ll keep you posted.

4 Likes

Superb, amazing work everyone!

I have translated part 1 to 2.2.8 into Swedish so far. Not sure I know or understand the remainder technical parts of the System documents enough to translate these. Although #ejinte says most Swedes understand English I think it is important to have documentation in your native language. Then all, regardless of language skills, can take part of it. I also try to translate all words, including technical vocabulary, since I think it is important to be able to talk about technical stuff in your own language. I don´t believe this should confuse anyone. You could have the English word in parenthesis, eg Valv (Vault)

Now I need to find out how Github works.

I would appreciate if someone can check my translation and improve it if necessary.

1 Like

I just sent the last pull request to @hillbicks for the translation in French.
The whole thing would benefit from a review of course.

I left aside the pages describing the libraries, where I suspect translation is not as important as the other parts, mainly because the people targetted by this section (programmers) should have no problem reading English.

Now I can get back to my real job :laughing:

2 Likes

Fantastic, thanks very much @nowfeelsafer!

The libraries were by far the hardest part and I agreee with your assumption that people interested in this section probably have no problem reading these sections in english. Let’s see what happens, I’ve just merged your pull request.

1 Like

Hi Dmitry) I can help you with translation to russian and can help with site.
Contact me - randtgn@gmail.com and I will start)

4 Likes

Well then @hillbicks you can add @alexbubly___ to the list

3 Likes