[Overview] Translation of SAFE components into different languages

For gitbook to work we need to have one folder for each language. So, with the languages we have right now we would end up with folders like this

bg/
de/
en/
es/
nl/

So each of us needs to create a folder for the language he wants to translate into, and they’ll be pushed back to my repo. Let me know if you need any help, happy to help you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fr please

1 Like

I could do Swedish however 86% of all Swedes already speak English and among the people who would use MAID I think it’s more like 100%. A translation would confuse.

2 Likes

@antoine, I will get started on Github this afternoon and get a folder set up :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@nicklambert. I just saw that you made a couple of changes to the SystemDocs. Here is the thing though, I can’t update from upstream right now because the original SystemDoc repo doesn’t have the en/ folder yet. Would you mind making that change? Basically moving everything into the en/ folder, except for the README.md, we need a copy of that in the root and in the en/ folder.

I think this is the way to do it (we should’ve probably done it earlier). Then we can update our repos again to see the changes you made. If you have any concerns or think this is wrong, just let me know.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @hillbicks, thanks for the heads up. @Viv manages the GitBook repos for us, I’m sure he’ll be able to help here.

1 Like

@polpolrene just asked me to join slack to make the collaboration easier and this seems like a very good tool I have to say.

So we’d like to encourage the rest of you to also join slack if you haven’t already and come see us in the translation channel we just created. If you want to join you need to drop @Melvin a message so he can invite you.

Looking forward to meeting you guys there.

4 Likes

I joined also, it is very useful thanks @hillbicks !

Yeh while we have localisation structure setup in MaidSafe-Examples, we never did for SystemDocs since it would have added a landing page with just one option for English. Now that we’re working on Localisation, we can certainly add the boilerplate to support it. I’ve added a task in JIRA for the same, hopefully @Krishna_Kumar can get that sorted on Monday.

On a sidenote do note that the folder names “en” / “de” / “fr” / … are merely best practise names that we and lot others seem to use. It’s not what gitbook relies on for localisation. The actual requirement is the LANGS.md file in the root of the repo. That’s the one that accepts the Language-Name and the Language-Folder. So yeh when adding a new language please do remember to update that file or you wouldn’t see the new locale listed on the generated site.

1 Like

Thanks for opening up the JIRA task, that should sort it out.

About the LANGS.md file, thanks for the hint, I mentioned that in the edit of my first post with the github instruction so we got that covered. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll be there for spanish!

4 Likes

Hello! I want to help you with the translation to Russian language. As you can see [here][1] (but probably you won’t understand something because it’s in Russian :D), there is no translation of the Documentation, so I would like to help you with that.
[1]: https://maidsafecoin.wordpress.com/

4 Likes

For some reason I’m not able to save the changes in the first post, frabrunelle will look into it on the weekend. I’ll add both of you to the list then. In the meantime, if you haven’t already, drop melvin a message that you want to join slack and hang out in the translation channel.

We also prepared a list with words that we think shouldn’t be translated, also @slack.

So come and join us :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also if you will decide in future to translate your website to different languages, I’ll be happy to help! :blush:

3 Likes

We will be in touch when the time is right @dmitry_n. Благодарямлн!

4 Likes

Has been one of my concerns. For now, I have decided that the basic names of the SAFE network will not be translated. Mainly Vault, Farmer, Wallet, Safecoin (of course) and the different managers (Data manager, Maid manager, Data holder, …).

More problems give the term Chunk. I use both. Sometimes, I think, is better to translate (Chunk->trozo o pieza).

2 Likes
    bootstrapp(ing)
SAFE Client
Transaction Manager
Client Manager
Data Manager
Data holders
Data holder manager
Vault manager
Vault
Wallet (still not sure about that one)
Safecoins
Peer-to-Peer
to hash
App ( to be used instead of programm)
Core (Developer)
Bugs
Churn
Proof of Resource
White Papers
Public Key Infrastructure (PKI)
scatter/gather
nodes
layer
names of libraries (Common, Passport, RUDP, Routing, Encrypt, Drive, Network FileSystem, Vault Manager, Vault)
Distributed Hash Table (DHT)
Lifestuff Manager
Restful Interface

That’s the stuff we have so far. I think we shouldn’t translate the things that are actual proper names from maidsafe, so we keep those identical throughout the different languages. Stuff like chunks should be up to each translator because that really depends on how well it translates.

Feel free to make suggestions regarding that list.

1 Like

I follows all except:
SAFE Client → (Programa) Cliente SAFE (is good the people know is a program)
Peer-to-Peer → Par a Par (technical term widely used)
App → Aplicación (App only is confusing)
Core → núcleo (Must choose, complete english o spanish (Core developer o Desarrollador del núcleo))
Proof of Resource → Prueba de Recursos (not sure but I think is better translate)
nodes → nodo and layer → capa (I think is necessary translate)
Distributed Hash Table (DHT) → Tabla de Hash distribuida (DHT) (technical term)

1 Like

Forget:
Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) → Infraestructura de Clave Pública (PKI) (technical term)

1 Like

Why not to translate Managers, Wallet, Vault, Bugs, nodes, DHT and many other words? Personally, I know well-known translations of many of these words, which are used in Russian ICT world, so it’s probably better to translate it in order to convey its meaning to people without their using a dictionary.
I guess it’s very controversial.

1 Like