Market Research on market size and growth

The preoccupation with forking Safe is also a bit worrisome considering @dimitar has the keys to/runs so many Safe Network sites as well as the Twitter account. Does anyone at MaidSafe have access to these sites and account? What is the governance for them?

2 Likes

3 people have access to the accounts. The moderators have their contacts. Anyone who thinks they can help is welcome to get involved :love:

3 Likes

I think there should be more transparency (I.e. who has access to the accounts?), and perhaps the community should have a say in who runs them (I.e. ability to nominate).

4 Likes

Of course, can you post a topic on this?

4 Likes

I’m not trying to cause a stir or even saying something is out of bounds. I’m not as clued into who has control of what but I don’t see the obsession, need or even really back and forth discussion with anyone about forks for a network that isn’t even here yet. I said what I said because since the original convo months ago, it gives me that “old poker player intuition” that I know I’m beat and I don’t need them to flip their hand over to prove it.

Don’t worry, I’m not offended by you, friend. In the end, I may not be able to properly assess the likelihood of vampire attacks and my insistence on discussing defense options* may seem maniacal.

*As for example, the foundation to provide free storage for projects such as Wikipedia and subsidize farmers further in times of need.

1 Like

You can get 448TB with a 8 bay Synology with 2 x 5 bay expansions. The RAIDed amount is less, but since Safe is one big RAID then you could just have them as a number of drives ranging from 16 to 448TB in size

This is one NAS

approx 3-4K (AUD) for the Synology setup
approx 14K (AUD) for 28 NAS drives

7 Likes

So let them! I’m sure it will be possible to sell your data on the Safe Network too. But that’s not the point, is it. If even just a handful of journalists will be able to find a safe haven on the SN, then I’m happy. For this to happen there will probably have to be some sort of functioning economy incentivizing storage, but the token was always just a byproduct.

I also fail to see the great danger to the purpose of the SN posed by possible forks. If somebody else can provide e.g. said journalists with a secure network, then more power to them!

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Money is very nice, but the SN, as opposed to e.g. bitcoin, is not primarily about that. Bitcoin is great and all. I don’t believe the fiat economy is sound, and it does need shaking up. I’m not speaking as a great idealist or moralist here. This has just always been my perception of what the SN is being built for. I hope I’m not wrong.

If money is what people are after, I’m pretty sure there are better objects for investment and speculation out there. Considering the state of the world, Lockheed Martin might be a good option.

1 Like

I 100% agree with what you say. That is why I also support other crypto projects fighting for decentralization. As I said, if you support only one decentralized project, do you really want decentralization?

2 Likes

It is not (only) about greed. Money circulating brings users and develolpers to the ecosystem and that makes the forward momentum for the project. Look at various Linux/BSD distributions, many of them very useful, but lot of them are dying as soon as they developers stop doing it at their own expense. You need some people to feel they can make money along the way, part of that money will circle back into development of the project and the whole ecosytem.

2 Likes

This is true, and that’s why I wrote:

1 Like

Do you think time unlimited storage is not enough incentive itself? I think we dont need incentivize users to store data directly as it is interesting enough, instead we shoud incentivize apps/projects developers to come to safenetwork. I know there are some plans for that, but I feel we should be debating it more thoroughly, for me it is the key to succesfull network growth.

storage.filecoin.io claims 1.1604 PiB stored. The amount of available storage on the network is 1.255 EiB so that’s about 99.91% unused space.

I find it incredible under these conditions that a) storage isn’t cheaper than it is b) miners continue to add more spare storage. Do you think filecoin is deliberately being conservative with their storecost? Or is this something else?

Taking a simplified look at things, mainnet has been up for about 52 days, about 804 miners, about 1.16 PiB uploaded. This gives an average continuous rate of about 2.9 Mbps data being uploaded per node.

9 Likes

These indicators cover 100% of my observations from Sia and Storj. Users at this stage are not interested in decentralized storage, but they are certainly interested in speculation with this coins. On this basis I base my prediction that the development of Safe Networks will follow 2 stages - the first speculative with a duration of several years to several decades and second with real use.

3 Likes

I’ve disagreed in the past with you but these stats are pretty eye-opening and I’m starting to see where you’re coming from.

On one hand 1 PiB of uploads in the first 50 days seems like a lot of ‘real’ non-speculative use to me, but on the other hand 99.91% unused storage is also a lot of the other kind of speculative use.

If we had 1 PiB uploads in the first 50 days we’d probably be very happy. But I feel with the conditions on membership the way they are now we probably won’t see 99.9% spare space, so I’m not sure how that plays into the speculation side of the network. Would be great to facilitate both types of users if we can.

5 Likes

In my opinion, this data has been uploaded by people who are testing the network. I won’t be surprised if 90% of it is uploaded directly by the Filecoin team. I expect the tests to decrease over time…

3 Likes

The filecoin numbers only reinforce my opinion that it is essential to promote the existence of Apps. That must be the difference with a purely storage system that, by itself, is insufficient to become mainstream.

7 Likes

Is filecoin permanent storage or pay by the month?

1 Like

That is pretty mad. Surely this is deeply inefficient and the pricing should fall so that supply starts meeting demand. If not, it seems like a market failure, with a those resources misallocated.

It is an ongoing cost, I believe. Not sure on the frequency though.

2 Likes