Making use of the new logo

As I mentioned yesterday the original Logo had a couple of “nodes” that were odd sizes. Its not entirely apparent until you work with it in more detail. So the one bellow while not 100% technically perfect is a lot closer to being so. Posting for those who care about such trivial matters to use instead

6 Likes

yeah, i realized the same thing when zooming in. the same is the case for the safecoin
logo actually - it’s also not 100% symmetrical. i’d be in favor of cleaning that up now before there is widespread use of the logo.

kinda weird that the 99design guys didn’t get that right - isn’t it?

6 Likes

Yes I did notice that but was not sure if it was by design. As for 99design guys, I think it’s all about throwing something together real fast and hoping for the best. Seems natural if you are competing in that environment.

1 Like

I’m not at my PC right now but it’s unlikely that measurements are inconsistent. I will dbl check when I have time simply to erase any doubts.

There is a very clear length difference between the 2 upper right arms and the lower one. Or were you refering to something else? I deleted the message you answered to before i saw yours because i thought no criticism was warranted since you even mentioned it was not perfect in the publishing message.

The not 100% comment is correct because I did not measure the angles but node to node was designed from scratch.
To save time as I was not paid £850 to create the logo I cheated :smirk:
So 3 node lengths and 2 node lengths were created and then copied and pasted in place so all are identical in length unless I screwed up, more likely it’s an illusion.
I agree with you that it should be perfect even though I think most people will not notice the difference at the scale it will be used I am happy to build from scratch when I have the time, but I’m sure there are many folk with illustrator or similar around. I’m jammed for the next 10 days.

4 Likes

Would the original artist not cooperate with a little fine tuning?

I’d put my money on no but who knows. It’s not much effort for anybody skilled in illustrator to knock out perfectly in no time. I set out with intentions of creating a fine tuned supermaid so an improved version of the original was a byproduct not the goal.

2 Likes

Just open the picture. The two top balls on the right side don’t touch the right edge. The bottom ball touches.

Yes that’s angles not length. :slight_smile: unless in such tight space unlikely to be noticed

OK :slight_smile: but to make the cube illusion work the outline should be what is traced not a path length of the inner figure.

@Josh: could you provide the improved version as SVG file? i guess i could work from there to make
it all even. i suggest we contact @nicklambert once we have both the new logo and the safecoin logo fixed in terms of symmetry and then have them replaced on the brand assets page. better to fix any flaws asap.

Sure I did update the image in the previous post last night and it is as good as I think it will get using gridlines instead of redesigning from scratch.

this is the only version I have in SVG for now sorry. Its does not seem to be uploading properly. Ill see what I can do in a bit.

@BambooGarden I thought it was RGB issue but it’s not. I’m tight for time PM a email address and I will forward an SVG.

3 Likes

Shouldn’t have but I did, peeked at the SVG-innards of the “SAFE Network Mark” on the MaidSafe Assets-page. In there the jumble of coordinates making up the new Safe logo:

Scalable Vector Graphics

Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) is an XML-based vector image format for two-dimensional graphics with support for interactivity and animation.

SVG images and their behaviors are defined in XML text files. As XML files, SVG images can be created and edited with any text editor, but are more often created with drawing software.

Indeed, the XML looks like the export of a detailed drawing but now I wanted to know if it was feasible to do this the other way round, constructing the logo in a text editor.

Would I’ve posted if it was not? Here it is:

<svg>
<g stroke="#5b91cc" stroke-width="1.2" 
   stroke-linecap="round" stroke-dasharray="0,2">
  <path d="m0,0v4m1.74-5v6m1.74-7v8m1.74-7v6m1.74-5v4" />
</g>
<g stroke="#5b91cc" stroke-width="0.55" stroke-linecap="round">
  <path d="m0,2v-2m1.74-1v4m1.74-1v4m0-8v2" />
  <path d="M0,0L3.48,2m3.48,2l-1.74-1m0,0l-3.48,2m1.74,1l1.74-1" />
  <path d="M0,4l1.74-1m1.74-1l3.48-2m0,0l-1.74-1M3.48,0l3.48,2" />
</g>
</svg>

Compared to the original a 65.000 to 500 ratio in text (characters) and seemingly the same logo:

New to the SVG-format and not saying it would be poor taste or not but try following up with this:

<circle cx="0" cy="4" r=".3" style="fill: #f00">
   <animate attributeName="fill"
            dur="0.8s"
            values="#800;#f00;#800;#800" 
            repeatCount="indefinite"/>
</circle>

An animated red dot on one of the outer edges. Could be a sign it’s charging overnight or a tail light indicating an intended left turn at the next intersection …

Trying to insert a gif of a 3d model I’ll be using to make a 3d print of the logo but not having much luck so here’s a link to the gif if anyone fancies taking a look:

http://giphy.com/gifs/4pR77SZK9gTYc

4 Likes

Awesome, I see a need for animations for various uses, as well as just some with different colouration for alternate state (connected/disconnected state for example).

Anyone handy with the tools that can create these putting together a suite for things like connected/disconnected state toggle, activity/wait animation and so on would be helpful to application developers. Ideally with license that is free for everyone to use.

1 Like

What is it going to be used for?

Got it :slight_smile: Not needing precious metals:

Aerated Sugar Confectionery

Why do we aerate sugar confectionery products? Having more product for the same price is not the only reason. By adding air a softer product is obtained, optimizing melting behavior and thus flavor release.

This community of say 2500 heads is going to need a packet of 25 every week at 0.99 … There’s is a dry freeze-d ice cream producer amongst us too, maybe talk to him.

So here’s my first little go at printing this, settings are pretty rough, but you get the idea:

Not quite sure what it’ll be used for… maybe I could turn it into a keychain thingy? If I was to print this a little bigger it’d actually work pretty well as a coaster. Either way I think it’d be cool to make something to be given out as a little nicknack to those who attend meet ups (If someone is going to hold one, let me know and I’ll make some)

As I’m sharing prints, I did do a little keychain with the old penrose triangle logo too which turned out quite cool, even if it does stab me in the leg when I sit down :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Ah. Abstinence (or moderation) from Your Favorite Drink? :slight_smile:

Turns out you can use SVG too:

<div onclick=nodes.style.stroke="gray";>Click to deactivate</div>

Broad subject, SVG, animation and scripting it in JS. Looking into this I particularly do enjoy “SVG Essentials” and the examples at GitHub.

1 Like

Very touchy :slight_smile:

How involved is printing of a real 3D-object, i.e with. 3 x 3 x 3 nodes? I’m thinking, how many different ways could one connect the nodes and would this then constitute enough of a ‘symbol library’ to enable a “Paper Wallet”-type object for a SAFE Network login? Not clear how to reenter it again either :slight_smile: One of those very cheap 5-dollar 3D probes?