MaidSafe Dev Update - May 24, 2018 - Introducing PARSEC

Changelly works well

Not quite answering your question, but nothing to stop you putting a blockchain on the SAFE Network should your app require one. That way the users get the multitude of other benefits of the network, alongside a single global ledger.

4 Likes

Congratulations on this publication, now on to see if the theory is correct in practice :slight_smile:

Why are people saying PARSEC derisks the project. It partially derisks it, but there is some way to go before we know if we have a working model. If the project was completely derisked, I imagine the price would be many many many times higher than it is. Comments are welcome

2 Likes

I think many people just wrote maidsafe off and ignored it as it was old, undelivered, not in top 20 or other simple minded nonsense. This is a wake up call for them. I suggest they seize the moment.

8 Likes

I don’t claim to be an expert or anything, but I have a decent handle on the development process and maths involved. My understanding is this consensus model they have developed is/was the last big unknown piece of the puzzle for their development process. Meaning, they solved the research issues, and are now strictly in the development stages.

Think of it like writing a dissertation or research paper. You have a thesis that you want to set out to prove/disprove. You take a long time researching the subject, other studies that apply to your subject matter, etc. Now that you feel you have a good understanding of all parts of the subject matter involved in defending your thesis, and have documented all the sources/studies you intend to cite, you start blasting through the actual writing process, pumping out page after page. Sure, you may need to tweak some grammar and spelling mistakes here and there, but you have the understanding, and you have the outline, you just need to finish the writing process.

That is where they are right now. They have come through the dark tunnels of unknowns into the light. They just need to put their nose to the grindstone and get the actual coding work done.

Now, it is quite possible that over the next few months, testing and challenges to their proofs may come out and find that PARSEC is not all they hoped it would be. That is certainly a risk. But, they were confident enough to put out a big announcement (especially for this project) and essentially stake their reputation on this finding. I think it is likely they thoroughly vetted this such that they truly believe this is the solution they have been looking for for so long.

24 Likes

I see separate points in here:

1. Maidsafe isn’t good at marketing
  2. There is no better marketing then bare results

2… You have a vision in your mind. If it’s something to the earth (it’s something that “everybody” experienced before) like programming a (somehow better) TODO list, you’ll have no problems to communicate your idea. But if it’s something completely new on a conceptual level you’ll have a hard time to communicate this idea to people. Simply because language can not transport this. You can try with images/videos. If you add music maybe this can transport your vision a little bit better. But still I would argue that you can be misunderstood. Not because you’re a genius or something and other people can not “see it”. Just because there is nothing like that around. Nobody experienced it so far. If you have something which you can show and people can experience it, they can actually feel it, implement, use it and see that it’s good. You only need to convince them to use it right now because it’s here now and not some distant time away.

1… This is the challenge which MaidSafe is facing. SAFENetwork is so much different on so many levels (technical and social) that there’ll be always people which will misunderstand it (and therefore not “believe” in it). SAFENetwork is an incubator of good but complex ideas. Transporting the full picture is best with a beta. Giving some parts beforehand, like PARSEC, is the way to go. People will experience some parts of the picture before seeing the whole.

For the above I assume that there are no bad people in the sense that they do not want to understand (because of personal/egoistic needs) instead of simply misunderstand. So it’s idealistic. The truth is probably somehow different.

Not to forget that making something that valuable like PARSEC available to the public will trigger further ideas which can bring us all further.

3 Likes

Exactly the same way I “taught” a friend today regarding this project.

Well, I am not suggesting that we dont keep it open sourced. We want to keep it opensource - but BITCOIN is open source, several other good projects are opensource but Bitcoin gets value with usage. Why not have other projects use open source PARSEC but integrate safecoin to it so that as more projects like IOTA etc and others use PARSEC for consensus, more safecoins are mined/farmed and usage/value increases - irrespective of the value of the SAFE network. Not even sure if its possible but I really want the MAIDSAFE team and MAIDSAFE project that developed PARSEC to benefit from it while keeping it open source so that all the patient maidsafe holders who have been holding it for years and supporting the project are rewarded just as BITCOIN holders were.

1 Like

and have interoperability, linking between safecoin and all other projects using PARSEC so that all projects using PARSEC for consensus can exchange between safecoin and their network coin seemlessly.

They have broken the back of the problem. Biggest problem in development, is getting the maths sorted. Once that’s done it’s just implementation.

Absolutely de risked. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As a holder of MAID/Safecoin, you wouldn’t want other projects generating coin. In fact, you want as little coins generated as possible to maintain growth. If you aren’t a fan of Keynesian economics, you may even prefer a deflationary system to increase wealth. That’s a whole other discussion, though.

PARSEC is just maths. They can’t really garner wealth from it, specifically. I guess they theoretically could have patented/copyrighted it (I’m not quite sure which would apply), and licensed it out to other projects, but that doesn’t seem to be the way they want to do things, for good or bad.

2 Likes

This is great news, decentralization is important.

3 Likes

Yes, more eyes on the code and more to help improve the code. This is a major benefit of others using your opensource code

8 Likes
    1. MaidSafe is just getting to the point of being able to demonstrate bare results in a way that is perceivable broadly, because the tech is ripening and becoming whole, which is necessary when all parts have to be in place before emergent properties start to manifest.
    1. MaidSafe has barely even tried to market as yet. It hasn’t been appropriate to do more than inform and reach those who could catch the vision more easily, and who could understand that it takes as long as it takes to get the results being reached for. I’d say, “Be ready soon to start having your hair blown back.”
18 Likes

Some don’t seem to understand that if no significant flaws are found in the PARSEC algorithm, MS has just set the digital world free!!! Audit, audit, audit! Let’s go baby. Who’s ready!? Where’s the sledgehammers?

5 Likes

Maybe I am paranoid, but I am just fine with little exposure. I am not concerned about valuation, but I am concerned about seeing SAFE Network made.

1 Like

According to @pierrechevalier83 in the latest SAFE Crossroads episode, “This was the last unknown until Alpha 3. Now we’ve got only known quantities.”

At 45:45

https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/safe-crossroads-43-parsec-efficient-provable-consensus-has-arrived-with-pierre-chevalier

Great interview, btw, Pierre—thanks for taking the time to explain Parsec!

12 Likes

Philosoraptor - Parsec Does that mean beta is further away or we're going to get there fast?

3 Likes

I just got around to reading some more of the PARSEC article on Medium. I suggest anyone with a short attention span like myself to go back to it if you have forgotten. If you’re trying to decide whether to link people to this forum or the article—just know that the article is the thing to link. it’s looking to be a very important piece for whoever to look at, even if the audience for whom it’s written isn’t the same caliber of audience written toward by much more mainstream publishers. Don’t be afraid of maximum claps, either! (It’s 50.) The more the merrier / the more broadly seen.

9 Likes