MaidSafe Dev Update - 10th May 2016

I’m wondering what the spread of network traffic is… will that be evenly distributed but for some weighting relative to a nodes performance? Might that be a lot of traffic for small nodes to deal with or is a weighting and balance algorithm taking bandwidth response into its thinking? That is, will a small resource offering see less traffic relative to a high resource droplet type node??.. what parameters are considered?

I haven’t studied your simulation so please forgive me if you have already answered this somewhere:

Your simulation results would apply to the droplet network only if the conditions also apply. For example:

1. There are nine droplets hard-coded into the launcher config and, presumably, your vaults are not. I know for a fact that hard-coded vaults get a fuller view of the network, as measured by routing table size. They will also receive more client connections. Did your simulation also have such an asymmetry?

2. Your simulation was not based on running actual vaults but calculations based on the algorithms, correct? If that is the case, then you don’t know how well the actual vaults conform to their theoretical ideal as represented by the simulation.

3. How “lumpy” (for want of a better term) is the actual network? You don’t know.

Yes, my simulations suppose that:

• The vaults names are randomly dispersed in the XorName space

• The close group of a vault really contains its nearest vaults

This isn’t necessarily in contradiction with your observations about the routing table because the close group is a subset of the routing table and I believe that a node becomes a vault only when the inner part of the routing table is the node close group.

But currently the main cause of imprecision is the low number of measuring vaults. I hope I will able to do better later when I succeed in doing measurements outside of a vault.

You say that the size of the error is due to the low number of measuring vaults but intuitively I would have guessed that it would actually be due to the ratio of number of measuring vaults to total number of vaults. Why is my intuition incorrect?

Also, looking at your table, although there is a trend of lower error with greater number of measuring vaults, there is also an awful lot of bumpiness along the way. Why is that?