Lost $thousands of MAID a few days ago

Glad to see it worked out for you :slight_smile: Make sure to have backups of the new private key in case something goes wrong again!

5 Likes

yes, maybe I didn’t actually have the PKeys on Omni, and the reason those MAID haven’t moved yet is because the hacker doesn’t have the PKeys!!!

Excellent point!

3 Likes

Cheers, I can feel the happiness here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

i’M DRUNK AND JUST SLEPT 8 HOURS, but I’m happy to read that everything is ok. @OmniPKeysHacked please enable 2fa and ip addresss whitelisting, this can really help you keep your Maidsafecoin SAFE.

If you don’t know how it got to be done and you use blockchain.info:
Go to “account settings”
Click “Continue”
Enter your “Main Password”
Click “Security” to enable 2 factor authentication
Enable “IP restriction” go to http://www.myip.nl/ to check your ip address copy that to "Whitelist:
"

Thank GOD that these hackers don’t look at the hidden messages. :stuck_out_tongue: Keep your precious SAFE

2 Likes

Just read this… awesome for you! Lucky you didn’ do what I said and went all silverback on star bucks “Man trashes star bucks, accuses them of hacking his bitcoins…finds them later on” lol

2 Likes

Glad to hear you got your MAIDs intact, welcome back in the club :smiley:

2 Likes

Won’t it be awesome when we don’t have to jump through hoops to keep our assets SAFE from hackers… Can’t wait for the day!

3 Likes

There’s a risk associated with this and you might get yourself locked out if you don’t have a static IP address

2 Likes

I don’t know how it is elsewhere but where I live I’d say you’d have a <1% chance to have a static ip address if you’re not a company …
i personally would never restrict that … chances to shoot yourself in the foot are higher than being hacked I’d say …

edit: ps: ok if you do have your private key on a piece of paper anyway there’s not really a risk involved … you can do that if you are paranoid but do want to have an online wallet :smiley:

4 Likes

Hmmmm yeah your right about that, but in case your ip change and you try to login, you’ll get an email from blockchain.info so you can remove 2fa which enable you to start over again.

Please keep in mind: It can take up to two weeks before you can access your blockchain.info account again

2 Likes

Why? Do you advise against adding the public key to a watch only address in the Omni Wallet?

Thanks!

but actually I figured that the hacker didn’t even know anything about MaidSafeCoins, and might have just been a bot that was after everyone’s BTC.

it followed me from my (no 2FA) BTC exchange into Omni i guess and stole the BTC out of there and left the MAID untouched.

So after @sfcoin reminded me that I might have made a backup at some point over the past 2 years (which I actually did!!) then I just got my PrKey back and used it to send the MAID out!!

@sfcoin really helped save the day with that comment and thanks everyone too for the support and walking me through all the different possibilities and steps.

GLAD THE FUTURE IS IN THE RIGHT HANDS U GUYS ARE ALL AWESOME I WISH U AND UR PROJECT THE BEST SAFECOIN TO THE MOOOOOOOOONN

2 Likes

I think he meant just make sure never to type the PrKey into any internet-connected computer ever in case of keylogger etc.

I learned so much through this process about making offline paper wallets and keeping private keys safe and untouchable.

I think I might buy some more coins now, with this added confidence and knowledge :smiley: :smiley:

Greatly helped me BTC security know-how tooo!!

3 Likes

great thanks!!

What’s that by the way? I saw that option.

Does it mean you only grant permission to static IP’s?

What if my mobile IP changes etc? coins lost forever?

I’m thinking I’ll just keep my oflfine-linux-virtual-box-created-bitaddress.org private keys on laminated cards in safe deposit boxes instead of keeping the PrKeys of the coins in any wallet or exchange (including blockchain.info) for the long term

1 Like

thanks soooo much for the help man!!

2 Likes

If your ip changes blockchain.info would notice that you try to login with another ip and email you a message like the one I posted above. If you approve the the request you can disable all security layers (2fa + ip whitelisting) and enable them with your new details. [quote=“OmniPKeysHacked, post:56, topic:7053”]
I’m thinking I’ll just keep my oflfine-linux-virtual-box-created-bitaddress.org private keys on laminated cards in safe deposit boxes instead of keeping the PrKeys of the coins in any wallet or exchange (including blockchain.info) for the long term
[/quote]This maybe is the best solution for now

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

The check balance feature on omniwallet.org site only accepts the public key.

Simply you are only checking balances, not using it as a wallet

1 Like

^THIS RIGHT HERE !!! ^

2 Likes

I still worry about key loggers with SAFE, I think it’s like the only attack Vector, but it’s still an Unbelievable step in the right direction!

Just Saying don’t ever completely let your guard down

4 Likes

[quote=“whiteoutmashups, post:61, topic:7053”]
I still worry about key loggers with SAFE
[/quote]As a matter of interest have you had any keyloggers on your system?

If one is careful enough and if needed running malware checkers then they should not be getting keyloggers. Also by using SAFE, your chances of “contracting” a keylogger should be significantly lower, because you are on the web less.

2 Likes