Ideas for DNS on Maidsafe

Not sure what issues? we do not use and do not need DNS or is it something else you are looking for ? Sorry if I missed the point, I am busy and in scanning mode a lot :wink:

Is there any solution for brand names and/or some kind of internal domains (the unique names) which can be used in MaidSafe network to mark and differ inside the network projects (sites, groups and so on)

1 Like

Yes, you can choose whatever you want to call yourself and that will work. There is an underlying address you can tell people (the first 6-0 chars) and the system will identify if you are unique there with this name/address combination.
Here is how a vault gets an address allocated

And for public names (people brands etc.) then it is very similar except instead of holding the average capability of the network in a group we use public names and do not allow the same public name anywhere near an address of a similar public name. There is a doc, I cannot see it just now, but will try and remember to find and post it here. Sorry about that.

3 Likes

So you look for the ID of the person to find the website that they made?

So this way SAFE doesn’t need a DNS, right?

1 Like

I could see this working pretty perfectly actually, especially if there is a great search engine that could lead you to the most popular / linked-to page (like Google does) for whatever you are looking for

(instead of having to type in some website name into the address bar, because then you get into DNS / name-squatting problems)

Honestly, DNS should be dropped all together. I do not like the idea that names are valuable.

My suggestion is to implement GNU Name System. Very unique.

Major zone - Bob would like to be called Bob (in global system. It is not enforcible.)
Minor zone- Alice rather name bob, bobby. (in personal system)
(forgot name) zone - Charlie wants connect to bob but doesn’t know bob address, but Alice does. Charlie → Alice → Bobby.

Beautiful!

But I also like what it was being said several comments above me.

1 Like

That isn’t a valid reason. Someone doesn’t like the opposite.
You should point out technical or privacy or other weaknesses, if you can find any.
I object to the idea as well, but from a different perspective.

Bad idea.

3 Likes