Ideas for DNS on Maidsafe

The ranking is more to stop the discussion which domain should get the gTLD.
safe://putwhateveryoulikehere.google
The most populair site on the current internet would get the gTLD.

My proposal is that the MaidSafe aliases can be any top-level domain names, not just gTLDs.

“A generic top-level domain (gTLD) is one of the categories of top-level domains (TLDs) maintained by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) for use in the Domain Name System of the Internet. It is visible to Internet users as the suffix at the end of a domain name.” – Generic top-level domain - Wikipedia

“A top-level domain (TLD) is one of the domains at the highest level in the hierarchical Domain Name System of the Internet.” – Top-level domain - Wikipedia

So if Google for example wants the MaidSafe alias google.com then they can register that since they own that top-level domain name. A hacker who wants to steal it would need to hack the Google website and put an authentication file in the Google root directory. Good luck with that. :smiley:

I don’t know if there is any gTLD “something.google” but let’s say that there is. With my proposal, what then prevents someone from registering the top-level domain name facebook.google and then claiming that as a MaidSafe alias? Nothing! People would be free to do that.

And what if someone uses the MaidSafe alias Google? With my proposal anyone is free to use that. There can be thousands of users with the alias Google. BUT, there can only be one unique alias google.com which must be authenticated.

So with my proposal there is a difference between MaidSafe aliases for domain names such as .com, .net, .guru and so on and ordinary MaidSafe aliases for usernames etc. The difference is that the domain name aliases are unique.

I think we’re saying the same. TLD & gTLD should be migrated to Maidsafe. Allthough I’m slowly having my doubts to the logic of TLDs.

Why would you pay for the domains?

google.nl
google.xxx
google.io

All I see is a pricetag for each domain (TLD) and wasting time on managing this. Since BRAND PROTECTION is important, Maidsafe could make a big win here. If it would make it possible to migrate all the TLD and keep them all under the gTLD umbrella at no additional cost.

Another thing that could make a Maidsafe DNS preferable to all the other idiots out there is if it had, registration for:

Honestly I don’t see any reason why we would keep this stupid ritual to annually or whathaveyou renewal our domain names. If you offer domain registration for INFINITY. You succeed with brand protection, you let people save money and spend it on better things.

The web will keep getting better, we will save time and safe money (Safecoins).

Read about it @ techcrunch

1 Like

That sounds like a good idea. Or, only let TLDs be unique MaidSafe aliases. And let the gTLDs be non-unique aliases. I’m not entirely sure though. There must have been a good reason for the introduction of gTLDs in the first place. Maybe they need to be unique MaidSafe aliases too.

The reason was actually really simple “Let’s make more money”. gTLD don’t add extra security, instead of your brand name coming before the dot, it comes after the dot and that’s it. The DOT COM bubble made me laugh, the XXX pricetag made me laugh.

Oooh kee some people might think that google could list it’s service more orderly like
maps.google
appengine.google

Imagine how disruptive it would be if Maidsafe had registration for infinity. We would be declared MAD, but maybe it’s the people/companies not making use of it, who would be declared insane. When you put a industry on it’s head and take it out of space, you leave little room for people to have doubts.

Namecoin made the BIG mistake to follow the line of the old world and @ time to it’s registration process. What is good about Namecoin is that you can transfer your domainname, but it’s still a joke compare to a DNS with brand protection and infinite time.

With my proposal a unique MaidSafe alias can easily change owner. If a company has the alias brandname.com and then sells that domain name, the buyer can request a registration on the SAFE network and put the authentication file on the webserver.

No it’s a racket

Dont need no stinking ‘domains’ or similar mechanisms for ‘authority’ to hook into.

If they’re going to ‘shut me down’ their shutting me down, not some abstract entity.

If they want to shut me down, then I have rights don’t I?

Dont give a sucker an even break…this is about people, not corporations or legal entities.

1 Like

Howdy, y’all. You should take a look at the NXT cryptocurrency:

“These informations are crucial, in fact the asset names are non-unique. What this means is that there can be multiple assets that have the same name.” – Asset Exchange - Nxt Wiki

Has the penny not dropped…SAFE is a superior project to any blockchain…that’s why were on here.

SAFE does not need a DNS or anything else from a counterparty, NXT, Bitshares etc…this here’s a dragon slayer.

Get on board…no need to reinvent the crypto wheel, it’s all here for you to leverage.

1 Like

I meant how NXT handles names. The asset names in NXT are all non-unique. This means that there can be thousands of assets named for example Microsoft. With the asset name comes a unique ID so the real Microsoft asset can be identified that way. Something similar could be used for MaidSafe aliases.

I know that with a project like Safe, we’re being placed right behind the wheel. But why shouldn’t we take the current internet for a ride? These people have to deal with, speed tickets, roadblocks and maintenance costs etc. With project Safe we’ll be going @ lightspeed, but these people won’t notice because they are just riding along @ a normal speed.

We need to build relations

:stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry, no idea what your trying to invoke here…your OP is “Ideas for DNS on Maidsafe”

If ProjectSAFE needed DNS, the design would have included DNS…8 years ago on a yacht somewhere out at sea, probably induced by some lovely tanned ladies from a sea port, over a glass or two of the finest…far away from…ants.

They say David Irvine was influenced by nature and waves and stuff…I beg to differ :girl:

Yep…after 8 years of contemplation, I guess that was just an oversight.

Get onboard… it’s my new slogan :slight_smile:

@chrisfostertv I totally agree with you that project Safe doesn’t need DNS. But in it’s current state DNS is a billion dollar industry and a total scam/rip off. I’m just a simple consumer, but if I had the money, I would so totally disrupt DNS right now.

• If we can add Brand protection
  • Register for unlimited time
  • Lower costs to run a website
  • A Safe environment to run your website

Ok were done then, maybe pm the mods to lock this thread.

https://thegrid.io/
Is now having it’s presale, wow they are accepting Bitcoins

I like the idea of AI websites (mostly because I’m to lazy to dig into code). The grid as far as I can understand it has a mind of it’s own and that’s what I like/dislike. I like it, because it can creatively surprise you with new layouts. I dislike it, because i don’t think that you can ask the grid to create/copy an existing site for you. It also seems like the grid is another “garden kind of thing” (wordpress/joomla/drupal/squarespace) Basically you can’t get out their universe, if you want to run your website on a different CMS, unless you code your site again. Yeah yeah I know that there are tools like Artisteer that can make you spit out every CMSs template that you want but…

To get back to what I would really like to see on the grid, features like letting it copy existing websites. And creating a chop suey of all these. For instance:

I guess I want a solution like the grid that can also code the website for you frontend and backend. From the looks of it only the frontend seems to be the focus for now.

This article is also fun to readabout/listen
Emercoin is interesting, but…

I guess I rather have IP migration, low registration prices and absolutely NO EXPIRATION (empower domain owners). What if people can just transfer their existing website to your platform? Now registar can transfer websites among eachother, what if? it’s possible to transfer an “Authorization Code” to a decentralized DNS system?

I do like the new decentralized websites like, .bit, .p2p, .coin and .emc. But what really gets me exited is if you could just get .com .org and all the other existing websites out there on a decentralize platform? This is where the real disruption starts…

4 Likes

Mind Blowing

1 Like

Dear dirvine,
you promised to present some kind of solution for issues that is discussed here.
Could you inform do you have any results for those testings?

1 Like

Why this topic is in Off-top category?
I think it is a very important issue. And I would like to see the solution of it in the policies of MaidSafe

Let be honest. We do need a BRAND NAME solution for MaidSafe network.

would it be akaNDS or some kind of alias" solution we don’t have to for get what rules we have in our real (non-virtual) life:

People don’t have unique names. That is why we have millions of John Smith and so on. The name is permanent. But still each person can change his name any time.
Company’s names. They are unique. Each country has its own companies register. Company can change its name. The name is permanent.
Brand names They are 100% unique. In order to register a brand name it should be firstly unique and the second it shouldn’t be used words. Like I can’t register a brand name “Sun”. (But I still register some kind of unique logo with word ‘Sun’).
And the last - law gives protection for brand names for 10 years. After that the owner should re-register it again for the next 10 years.

So anyway MaidSafe public will demand one day a solution for short readable and UNIQUE names/address.