I made logos for all the SAFE Apps!

anytime dude! I’m always after safecoins!

1 Like

They look great! What is SAFE Cortex? Sounds very intriguing…

1 Like

I’m making the pages for everything, so you’ll be able to click each of the logos and go to a whole website explaining the just of each one,

But they’re not done yet so I’ll just tell you :slight_smile:

It’s like how David Irvine says “try to remember the first 5 phone numbers of your contacts… You don’t. Your phone remembers them for you. We outsource our thinking to technology. And looking towards the future…” etc

Or Ray Kurzweil’s Ted Talk on “hybrid thinking”

All of these things are talking about how we’re getting closer and closer to our technology, and using it to access info and learn faster, and the future of that.

The point is we’ll have nanobots connecting our brain neurons to the internet (SAFE?) so we can think faster, more deeply and more precisely in the future.

That’s the idea behind SAFE as an extension of our own neo-cortex :slight_smile:

Deep stuff

“Start with the end in mind” [Steven Covey]

I like to adjust that to Design with the end in mind, anyway, bravo!

Cortex to IoT

I’ve recently been thinking about how insecure the Internet of Things will be on the legacy Internet :wink: so have realized the power of implementing a standard coding language, or rails for IoT inside the SAFE Network. How awesome would that be? Maybe this has already been thought of / started?

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s been started, but I think most people here believe SAFE is the only real contender in that space right now

Using SAFE to make IoT safe is on my RADAR. Not sure if “stanadrised” language would be widely adopted though. Maybe some libraries to standardise communications between devices. This would mean that the IoT developer could concentrate on their IoT design and have a convenient secure comms channel.

The notion of being able to have a comms channel safer than any VPN could provide that is easier to use will be ever so useful.

With the advent of $9-$40 linux capable platforms will make IoT stuff using SAFE so easy

Some commentary on IoT usage shows that there are number of companies jumping in, BUT they see it primarily as a information gathering tool and secondarily as the tool the customer buys it for. For instance one of the companies is producing smart home devices and the customer HAS TO use the companies services for the IoT devices to work. So the company gathers all the customers personal information from mobile phone numbers, their comings and goings, their sleeping habits, their use of rooms, TV viewing habits, computer use habits, even what foods they eat since fridge/food cupboards is monitored for auto ordering.

While that could still be done on SAFE, it is unlikely that such companies would, SAFE allows ethical companies to provide a product that does not need a central site to control it. Also it provides security for the customer to know that hackers are not able to find their smart home devices and control them because the devices will not recognise the hacked connection as being from anyone they listen to.

2 Likes

I have played around with Node-Red and IOT a bit… Pretty nice easy setup… Fun and powerful stuff…

Then you go to Best Buy and they have an aisle of IOT stuff that all looks insanely proprietary and not at all hacker friendly.

An IOT suite on SAFE would be pretty cool, and probably not too difficult of a task to conquer…

2 Likes

It will be difficult for devices that cannot run a version of linux, since the safe code is fairly high level compared to lesser capable devices. Many IoT devices rely on WiFi chips that are processors in themselves and could even be the computing core for the IoT device. SAFE cannot run on these WiFi chips (yet). It would require chip manufacturers to incorporate that, or the chips become so powerful that they themselves could run linux.

Basically at this stage for an IoT device to be SAFE capable it will require the computing core to include a $9 CHIP computer or above (eg Raspberry Pi) which can run proper linux.

I’m not sure the core API libraries are that high level, and sure they aren’t reliant on Linux or any particularly high level OS functions (filesystem for example). What they need is a way to talk to the communications stack.

So the main problem is compiling for the target device. The move to muscl should help that a lot I think (he says with no experience and very little knowledge of it), which leaves us looking at what you can target with Rust (and possibly C++ as I think there may be some stuff not ported to Rust atm).

It isn’t trivial, but if you can target the device it might well be possible, even now. It needs investigation.

2 Likes

Most of the IOT systems I have played with use a central router and send messages via the MQTT protocol or something similar… That protocol is rather simple, but yes, most likely you would need a Raspberry Pi or other device with an OS to act as the IOT router and negotiate the link into SAFE. You can probably create a NODE RED output pretty quickly and easily that would connect and drop data into files or send it to another router on the SAFE network… Node Red is pretty magic… I really like it.

2 Likes

um, @whiteoutmashups, none of the links work anymore??

OK, must be some lame google problem. I’ll log in in a sec and try to figure it out