How to store maidsafe?

Old Post about Armory offline transactions:

Or are you just looking for info on running an Omni Core node?
https://www.omnilayer.org/download.html

Edit: here’s a third option
http://www.omnitrezor.com/

1 Like

Please be careful not to post bad URLs. Always copy-paste. The correct one is https://www.omniwallet.org/.

Omnitrezor seems to be abandoned. See e.g.

Ok, that seems safer, sign a public key to verify the transaction and your ownership of the private key instead of handing the private key over to a 3rd party service. Is this only possible with an amory wallet or could the signing function in electrum satisfy this?

Does anyone know how to extract the private key from the backup json file that Omni provides?

Just look at the json file in a text editor and you see the public and the private keys in the backup file

Thanks Neo will do!

I know you referenced in a post a long time ago about the bitcoin address or the private key starting with a “5”. Is their a more intricate version to the basic keys that you can find when we make a wallet on bitaddress.org and then check it on Omni. I ask because none of my addresses or keys start with a “5” and I’m wondering now if that’s an issue for later extraction.

The addresses start with 1 or 3. In the past there was some problem with addresses starting with a 3

Note there are also bc1 (bech32 native segwit) addresses now.

1 Like

Not sure where I made that “5” up from but you were correct that the wallets produced by bitaddress started with “1”. Is there any standard to what the private key is suppose to start with and have their been any issues with those in the past much like the ones that have started with “3” on the share address?

In the past it was public addresses starting with a “3”, but some have said they have not had issues more recently. I have not confirmed this myself since I am not moving any safe for quite a while.

2 Likes

I can confirm that there is no problem with addresses starting with 3

6 Likes

I can also confirm that there is no problem with addresses starting with 3

I can also confirm that there is no problem with storing maid in trezor

6 Likes

I wish I had known Poloniex was delisting MAID and I lost my coins :frowning:

They were so deceptive about it - initiating it all just before Christmas 2019, and into January - the exact month of the year that I disconnect from email for several weeks.

What’s the up-to-date information on MAID wallets? Which is the best/easiest/safest to use? I’m going to purchase more coins ready for safecoin in he future.

Also, which exchange is easy to buy coins from?! I’ll have to set up a new account.

Thanks.

4 Likes

That’s awful!! Yeah, Poloniex was unnecessarily sketchy about the whole thing.

Right now the most reliable exchange is Bittrex INTL. If you’re in the US, however, you’re somewhat out of luck (although Changelly may work).

In terms of storing MAID, you may find this thread useful: [How To]: Buy/Move/Store OMNI MAID :safe: hardware and software wallets - #33 by Dimitar.

4 Likes

I advise you to write to them and want them to send you your MAID. If they refuse to return them to you, threaten them with court :dragon:

5 Likes

I wrote to them a few times - I complained that only 30 days notice was given.

They categorically claimed that they cannot return the assets - i.e. they have been delisted - and, while a record remains that I held them, they cannot be accessed (which I took to mean deleted)

I said that I couldn’t understand why they didn’t forcibly convert the MAID into BTC in Poloniex, to avoid the problem. They said that would take that idea under advisement.

They were ambigious about their exact location…and I had figured that it would be a mountain of work to even begin to know what legal rights we would hold in that jurisdiction as coinholders too…

The whole thing really got me down - I didn’t have a huge huge investment BUT it’s the principle, isn’t it? A real-world example of caveat emptor I guess - I’ve concluded that it was my fault for not putting the coins into an OMNI wallet :frowning: If I’ve concluded incorrectly, do tell me!

I’d be happy to share the responses I had from Poloniex if it would be of real use to somebody who might want to initiate legal action. I for one don’t have he resources :frowning:

4 Likes

@Dimitar sorry I forgot to make sure this was sent as a reply to you.