Custom yocto linux project to create a maidsafe os

I thought of this board DART-MX6 : NXP/Freescale i.MX6 SoM / CoM as a very small farming device with a embedded maid safe os using yocto Linux.

1 Like

@justin Hi Justin, I’m newly aware of the yocto project. My question is this: the project seems to revolve around embedded systems; can the project be used for general systems without large-scale modification?

my understanding, you build your system manually to suite your device needs by using they call recipes. so your device could be like a full OS or just one piece of software like a word processor. I can imagine building a maid safe OS by installing all the needed dependencies, like rust,java and python.

this is a good presentation, Developing Embedded Linux Devices Using the Yocto Project and What's new in 1.1 - ELCE 2011 - YouTube

1 Like

Thanks for those :smile:

I also found this, which seems to confirm that one can indeed use Yocto for any size system, not just embedded.
https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto/2014-December/022736.html

Sounds good, definitely worth investigating - please report back!

For the ones reading with interest … Redux OS looks also an interesting project to follow but t’s in early stage I saw…
Personally I like snappy core from Ubuntu but many options are available…

Redux OS and others

2 Likes

I’m newly aware of the yocto project. I thought of this linux som as a very small farming device with a embedded maid safe os using yocto Linux.