Your first SAFE website – start to finish in just 20 minutes

At least you aren’t one of the drop bears we have around these parts. :thinking: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sometimes I think that is much better than our 35+℃ with high humidity

Think again, man. If still not convinced, visit say Finland next January and I’m sure you’ll come away with a different point of view. (Writing this from my exile in southern Mexico.) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That is why it is only sometimes I think of it, then I get real :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

so i’m just a few hours away from presenting my neighbor’s beautiful dog on safenet?
would be a nice start. :grinning:

6 Likes

just a few hours away

or just a few days, depending on updates and upgrades, warnings and errors while installing additional software and dependencies on your os. (;

but you’ll see this beautiful dog. promised!

3 Likes

just a few days

or never – because web hosting manager (whm) never gets authorized although (the authorized) safe browser says »authorized«. i followed the instructions of a thread on safedev.org where an experienced linux guy had huge troubles getting whm and safe browser to communicate properly.

perhaps ist has something to with my setup?

fedora 29 qube (= vm) in qubes os 4
safe browser 0.12.0
web hosting manager 0.5.1
node 8.11.4
npm 5.6.0

cheers,
t_k

This reminds me,

Reaching trust level 1 wastes about 1 hour of legitimate user’s time and can still be easily gamed by bots.

So here’s an idea,

Why not replace the Trust Level requirement with a 20 minute in-app tutorial that introduces the user to the platform, and during this time perform some background PoW in the app.
After the 20 minutes, the PoW proof is sent to a verification server that registers the user IP (and provides the invitation code so the user doesn’t need to do it again in the future).

During the tutorial, the app could show a progress bar with an estimated time for verification so the user is aware that something is happening in the background and there is no point in rushing through the tutorial.

This way the time spent for “verification” is shortened and turned into a really useful activity for new users, and the PoW would make it much less scalable for malicious actors.

2 Likes

Can you try with a Debian vm? I think I also remember having problems with Qubes.

Tried with Debian 9 and 10, looks the same.
Probably WHM doesn’t get a response from Safe Browser about the authorization?

Hmmm, I have a feeling its a Qubes thing. I haven’t tried it on Qubes in a while but from memory it’s a bit hit-and-miss. Do you have another machine you could try it on?

Thanks for the hint. It’s nearly done! On Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS running on a MacBook 5,1, late 2008 …

5 Likes

Okay, I promised: safe://dog.tk1

An extra treat goes to @JPL.

7 Likes

Nice! I see it.

Reminder to everyone, you don’t need to sign in to browse safepages.

1 Like

And: WHM/Safe Browser seem(s) to have major problems with VMs, especially Qubes OS, or vice versa.

Nice!

Thanks, @Zoki!
I’m very proud ̣- of the dog, not the »website« :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m afraid that would be a natural behaviour for Qubes, considering it’s built around the idea of isolation and containerisation. WHM communicates with the browser through the custom URIs mechanism, and it’s implemented quite differently for each desktop environment. So it works just as expected with xdg-open on Gnome in Ubuntu, but it might not work with tweaks made by Qubes.

Because it’s hard to make it work on every Linux distro, for now we focus only on Ubuntu. It works just fine on some other popular distributions too, though (e.g. vanilla Fedora).

6 Likes

I’m afraid that would be a natural behaviour for Qubes […]

Many thanks for the explanation, @nbaksalyar.
I can live with the Ubuntu workaround – for now. :wink:

I’ll ask some heavy Qubes users if they have any idea how to get WHM running in a Fedora or Debian qube or try to figure it out myself . It’s a question of real spare time, of course.

So long, t_k

4 Likes

safe://dog.tk1 now with implementation of this dog’s barking. \ö/

2 Likes

Very understandable. I’m aware of some numbers: the Qubes userbase as well as the – not disrespectful – »average« user’s computer skills.