You have 2 years to protect magnetic data from a super flare

You have 2 years to preserve all of the planets electronic data.
How would you do it? What medium?
Would having a starting point as the SAFENetwork be an advantage (Assume all data has been migrated to the SAFENetwork)?
(Select * FROM safe net that can rebuilt a civilization) I’m thinking SOLID would be a massive help.

This will happen at some point…

2 Likes

Would it be possible to put your hdd in a lead container?

Declare a Global Data Emergency, mobilize the world population and release the Intergalactic SAFE Network.

2 Likes

A Farriday cage. (20 chrs)

2 Likes

Maybe Elon musk satellite internet could be also a safe network (there should be deployed vaults in each of them) and because it’s the space of course it’s protected!!! Just a thought but my mind is going to explode! I will propose it to maidsafe and see if they can contact elon

Underground vaults also are good.

Water also absorbs the radiation

But in any case if given 2 years notice then its easy, just a bit of work to do. Most data, apart from home, has backups and major companies have data disaster recovery plans in place.

The 2 years allow for those backups to be located in places protected from the super flare and lead boxes become a popular sale item.

1 Like

Moving into solar cycle 25, the sun has gone quiet and should remain so for at least 40 years (Grand Solar Minimum) …so it’s a hypothetical that should have been well mitigated by the time it happens.

What is an issue though is ‘Galactic Cosmic Rays’ that are a result of the magnetosphere weakening. The last time they intensified bigly was during the ‘little ice age’ 400 years ago (last GSM) but of course they didn’t have electronics back then.

1 Like

Time to invest in some feraday blankets. When the day comes wrap your equipment as snug as a bug. Bathe in sunscreen, dress yourself with heated borate clothing, and lace your room with some shungite. Now pass the bottle and the pipe. You don’t expect me to experience such rarity without a little mental rattling DO YOU!? :astonished: :grinning:

Where is @Blindsite2k

1 Like

@Stark :smile: sounds like you’ve been having a party. Your last few posts have been a bit more … eccentric … than I seem to remember you.

2 Likes

Optical disks are great in this case. If you still have a way to burn and read them, that is

2 Likes

Then you don’t know me at all. This is nearest to my baseline. I’m the forum rapscallion lying in wait. I love all here and push all to question their integrity. If you peer back far enough I greet you as a pillar of frankness. I jump jostle and toile with the purpose of identifying those who are loyal. In the end you can think of me as the boil that sits on your ass while you soil. Not a great sight but i’m ever watching for those who see this and respond with an immediate coil.

I’m back for the final season of pre safe release. Time to have fun. Where are the F’king carrots! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@whiteoutmashups

Where you at B!?

2 Likes

Oki :slight_smile: (20 chats)

1 Like

Lol always here! Dealing with some personal issues here and there but moving forward. Although we always say it, looks like something is right around the corner for SAFE, but it does feel more like it recently with the better documented and organized progress reports from the team in Scotland :heart: I’ll try to post more often tho! Wish I had rhymes to match yours :cry:

5 Likes

I hear that bra. SAFE is about to pop off!! :grin: We waited more or less patiently. In my case on the sidelines for a good minute.

Lol! Your R-kelly Maidsafe remix was off the chain. Above and beyond anything I wrote here! :v:

2 Likes

What medium? DNA most likely. It’s compact, isn’t affected by emp, can store ungodly amounts of information in a tiny space and can last thousands of years especially if stored correctly. We already have research on converting digital information to organic. So it wouldn’t be that far fetched if we were facing a catastrophe to perfect the process and start creating a DNA backup. No one said the archive had to be re-write.

3 Likes

wooooooooooooooooooow dude thats awesome! :smiley:

1 Like

Like seriously I’m surprised we arent already doing this for archival data. Public domain works, research data, anything considered public knowledge. I mean yes SAFE is awesome but it would be better with organic node backups in case an emp hit. Yes you might lose “current events” but you’d save the bulk of human knowledge.

1 Like

Speaking of archive data. Are archive nodes still a thing? @maidsafe

1 Like

From what I gather from prior discussions on this I think we will have data backed up in locations besides the natural/default location they get stored in. So still among the objectives i guess.

2 Likes

This reminds me of The Doomsday Vault’s Home Is Already Threatened by Warming, And It May Get Much Worse.–> Multiple varied copies certainly have value.

2 Likes