Will we be SAFE from NetRipper?

I don’t plan on using Windows much, but I’m interested for my friends that don’t think about security.

NetRipper is a post exploitation tool targeting Windows systems which uses API hooking in order to intercept network traffic and encryption related functions from a low privileged user, being able to capture both plain-text traffic and encrypted traffic before encryption/after decryption.

https://github.com/NytroRST/NetRipper

1 Like

If I understand correctly, later it could be possible but it’s currently not implemented to work with MadeSafe.

That was my gestalt as well. Although my hope is if a user is running a SAFE APP there will somehow be encryption performed before going far enough down stream for sniffing?

It sniff at the application level. So it will be able to capture data in the memory before it is encrypted.

I don’t care about windows anymore. The entire system was design to spy on you.

There will be a massive exodus in 2016. A lot of window users are jumping to linux world. Steam has a lot of linux support. Better linux drivers for gamers. More linux devs. Unreal Engine runs flawlessly on linux. Just everything is better on linux these days.

2 Likes

AFAIK, MaidSafe provides no additional protection against malware or other client-side attacks. If your computer is compromised, MaidSafe can’t really do anything about that.

1 Like

This is true up to a point, but it does make it feasible to tighten up the client side a lot by loading applications from your uncorruptable SAFE storage rather than local disk for example. Even booting from SAFE in time.

1 Like