Will Safe Network be seen as another "Dark Web"?

Sounds more like a worse than worst case scenario really. https is here to stay, so the premise of the theory melts away when this given is known.

1 Like

For all the early adopters and geeky tech types here, it matters little. But how many parents of school age children will put their data onto something labelled as darknet storage? There is a stigma, it’s very real.

But, being surrounded by people who don’t see it as a blemish has tarnished many people’s views on it - a bit like smoking. It’s only cool if everyone around you does it.

I’d be more worried about:

1. The ‘Digg Effect’ - where once there’s a public spread of information about availability, and the mass ‘early adopters’ see a story on a couple of sites - the floodgates open on put requests.
  2. The ‘booters and DDoS’ers’ - where a few script kiddies with access to one more more botnets decides to short SAFECoins and then blasts the network with more requests than had been envisioned.

Either, or both of these, happening at a critical time in the public first impression of the network would cripple the reputation of the network and the developers behind it.

I think the rate limiter concept that was recently added should prevent this being overly disruptive by preventing any nodes sending a well above average number of requests.

But when you’ve got a few hundred thousand nodes, you don’t need to send many requests per node.

If you’ve got a group of auth nodes or relay nodes / entry/exit nodes, it wouldn’t take but a handful of requests coming from a few hundred thousand IP’s to cause havoc - unless of course there’s that kind of capacity and foresight.

It’s not a matter of preparing for an attack, but in preparing for the scale and vector(s) of the attack that separates survivors from victims.

1 Like

Would it be possible that Maidsafe initialy could run some form of server farms, with thousands of ips, that made up a percentage of the early network? Maybe located at some different hidden locations in the world, just too initialy protect a portion of the network until it grows to a certain level?

Just a speculation on a idea I got a few days ago, dont know if it is relevant at all, please forgive me if I’am way off. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like the caching/relay nodes already planned, to an extent.

1 Like

Without knowing what is planned, I’d say that Maidsafe will be running a decent number of VM servers during the initial startup phase of the live network.

As to details, well we will wait and see.

For many of the community there has been a fair amount of talk of running VM servers for themselves too.

4 Likes

Its not about what society sees when they are exposed to the network, It is who is doing what, are their illicit trades, etc. Validate any of those statements and to their understanding they are not wrong.

If you care, keep your nose clean and enjoy this not being an issue.

Hope you are right. If MAID delivers, there are some powerful folks that get hurt badly. I hope they wont see this coming before its too late and the network can survive on its own with decetralized devs and the works.

3 Likes

Agree, and one of them is the one who said bitcoin is a fraud and causes the market price crash.

2 Likes

andddddddd, what happened once this dip/crash occurred…

oh and btw who also has bitcoin as part of trading on their platform…

don’t worry too much about these individuals. the economic incentives they’ll have to port themselves over to SAFE will far outweigh any feet stomping regarding the perception they may initially have of losing their place in the food chain once SAFE takes effect.

there is a very old expression @Evon_Wooi ‘people are dumb, but a person is incredibley smart’. societies definately reaching a point where these pointed actions of the powerful elite really are largely falling on deaf ears (save for State controlled entities) hence Bitcoin is showing signs of life longer term beyond the actions like you mentioned above.

the most effective virus in the world is an idea, an idea can’t really be killed, so it doesn’t really matter if they see it coming, the building blocks are there and will be addressed by the coming generations.

It’s enivatable in the western world that the important conversation SAFE is bringing forward will happen. Freedom is a great thing and we have enough of it to have this idea not just survive but thrive :wink:

that is the most comforting thought I think you can have :slight_smile:

Yeah,I have the same question with you.