Will ProjectSAFE change our understanding of Freedom?

A lot of talk on the forum about Freedom and I thought I’d post on how the legal system interprets Freedom as well as ask the question: Will ProjectSAFE change our understanding of Freedom?

I was going to post as a FAQ for reference, but there is some interest to discuss in open forum.

Blacks Law Dictionary

What is FREEDOM?

1. The state of being free; liberty; self-determination; absence of
    restraint; the opposite of slavery.
  2. The power of acting, in the character of a moral personality,
    according to the dictates of the will, without other check,
    hindrance, or prohibition than such as may be imposed by just
    and necessary laws and the duties of social life.
  3. The prevalence, in the government and constitution of a country,
    of such a system of laws and institutions as secure civil liberty to the individual citizen.

What is SELF-DETERMINATION?
The fundamental right of every person to freely decide on their own political status and to pursue their own choice of economic, cultural and social development. It is embodied in the US Declaration of Independence in 1776.

What is CIVIL LIBERTY?
the political freedom that is enjoyed by members of society that restrains its people as far as is necessary to maintain the general welfare of everyone.

** Edits Changed Title and reworked text
** Revoked a message

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

I’m pretty sure the FAQ is meant for things more closely related to Maidsafe the project (or questions which are asked frequently – this is not a FAQ).

I see what you’re trying to do, but this thread is not very ‘on topic’, since it makes no mention of how this definition plays into the design or future of Maidsafe. That would be an interesting discussion, and maybe it will turn into that…

Some aspects of Freedom that directly apply to Maidsafe and its design worth talking about as part of an Offish topic discussion:

• Freedom to be forgotten
  • Freedom of speech
  • Freedom to speak anonymously
  • What Freedoms do Natural Persons have over Artificial Persons (Related to this discussion on ‘Proof of Unique Human’)

The whole area of Freedom/offence etc needs discussing on the main forum as it has many consequences for the forum and I would say network too. It is not strictly Maidsafe FAQ, but is a massively important topic that is causing lots of confusion and mixed issues on the forum. I think this desperately needs discussing tbh and frameworks/guidelines agreed…

Goods points, I’ll change the post to reflect the question of how will SAFE reflect our understanding of freedom

I reckon Freedom would be realised within the legal framework that @dirvine tweeted :slight_smile:

How about replace ALL law with,
No intentional killing
No theft
No fraud
No lies (or hide truth)
Then jury decides punishment or treatment

Freedom to be forgotten might not be an actual freedom because in order to be forgotten you have to take away the freedom from someone or something else to remember for all eternity.

The real vs artificial person debate is important but for now it’s not critical because the artificial person isn’t conscious and there is no indication from those who study AI that we will see human level intelligence in our lifetime.

Even if we did see artificial general intelligence in our lifetime it does not mean they’d be conscious or that an artificial human could feel pain. It might make sense to have this debate but more in the context of whether or not we should give rights to robots (because robots do exist) and avoid the discussion on artificial persons which don’t even exist.

I agree with this so I think that the category change was the correct decision. That said, we should make it more clear when we change a category and why. I posted a few words about that here.