Will Maidsafe launch within the next 3 years?

By looking at Issues section of GitHub for example.

It would be interesting to look at your criterias for deciding whether open source project have open or closed development processes (if you have enough experience, understanding and qualification of course).
My classification, as I said, is based on amount of publicly available information about project development.

My experience is primarily of software development, and secondly in open source. I’m not sure if you have any experience in software of development in general. Yet you are here apparently pronouncing as if you do.

Please can you share why you think your judgements here have value, because they don’t make sense to me.

Saying ‘by looking at GitHub issues for example’ suggests to me that you don’t. That’s not an answer to the points I made, so you don’t appear to have the experience to comment on these issues.

1 Like

This is how all our devs work. All work is in the public forks of the main repo. We can all see them. We have 2 internal meetings per week to understand what everyone is working on, mainly. But, this is just a large code base and we have folk that come in and work on some module and they have no idea about the rest of the code. That happens a lot.

This is how open source works!

Who has asked us about a bit of code and not had an answer? We cannot answer every question from every person, but right here, right here in this forum, you will find you have a ton of answers and yet you call us closed? It baffles me. This is why I feel you are purposefully distracting us from launch

How???

I see

7 Likes

That is a macro that allows some of the following struct to be command-line arguments.

In terms of code documentation, I feel it’s never good enough, but again I hope the AI advances we are now seeing will not only document the code but allow you to ask specifically these questions. It will help us all.

BTW every single contribution is golden for us as it means folk just cared enough. So take the credit there man. It’s all great. Look at all the scripts etc. They are all great

3 Likes

Ok, I’ll jump in with the BIG premise of not knowing anything about open source software development…and with this idealistic view of how that would work.
We know that, for example, there is a problem with NAT transversal. Shouldn’t in the qp2p crate be a GIT issue about that, to give external contributor the opportunity to jump in? Is this what @vort is referring to?
I can see how there’s a lot of prep work to be done to clearly frame the issue and the scope of work, but I can imagine there’s a lot of people willing to contribute, maybe to use the same crate for other purposes, but not being enabled because the path to contribute is not clear?
Sorry, might completely be off the mark here, and apologise for that. But I see parallels with the kind of work I’m familiar with, and delegation and enabling contribution is foundamental, although painful sometimes…

4 Likes

I am not sure it is anything specific @Vort is alluding to. In fact there has been no specific issue he seems to be focussed on fixing or contributing to.

In terms of somebody fixing NAT then yes it would be amazing. There is a lot to consider there (changing IP via DHCP) constant keep alive every <10 seconds to stop the hole closing and so on. The good thing about that is that every p2p project has the same issue. So there is plenty of discussions and I even posted a paper to show how to do it in a decentralised network. So that one has a ton of documentation from us and others. Not trying to cop out, just pointing out the facts.

This is true. Many of our crates are used elsewhere, in fact one of them was the chosen “create of the week in rust”/

Not at all, always good to check.

5 Likes

Looks like that sentence by me was not precise enough.
What I tried to say is that some (many?) people prefer to make contributions without asking questions.
And such methods of work looks unrealistic when not enough information is publicly available.

Such information is often outdated because of freqent changes in code.
How can person understand if answer, which he found on forum, is still applicable to present state of codebase? By making another question?

2 Likes

You are accusing us of not helping folk contribute. Either that or that we don’t have enough comments in code to explain the code OR we don’t have detailed issues to allow you to contribute.

Can you specifically tell us what you want to do and where you want to contribute? You will find more help here than most projects out there.

I feel you owe the team some respect here and way less unfounded criticism. They work very hard and your input is consistently negative and verging on preaching your immense capabilities to a bunch of amateurs (read back your own comments, language taken into account)

How is that different from any open-source project? OR for our own devs?

3 Likes

I suspect that my usage of this term may differ from how other people use it.
That’s why I asked for criteria to check if this is the case or not.

1 Like

If you have found the answer now then I take it you are happy?

2 Likes

You got the idea, thanks.
I’m not referring to specific bug however.

Issues section is not much synchronized with what happening with testing and development.
Tester have found bug → he want to track when it will be fixed.
It is trivially accomplished by following Issue on GitHub.
If you have such issue of course.

2 Likes

I was just trying to prevent contributors from having unrealistic expectations.
I said several times that I do not ask developers to change how they work.
It was even not criticism this time.

If someone wanted to say that contributors may expect to “change everything”, this is fine. No problems, I will listen to arguments. Other contributors will read arguments from both sides and make their own decisions. And that’s it.
Instead discussion went to determining if I’m “preaching my immense capabilities”…

1 Like

Okay @vort over to you. For those of us that are less technically minded could you give some specific examples please.

1 Like

@Vort is IMO preaching about something he doesn’t understand and seems to have no experience in. As far as I can see his criticism has been answered several times by different people.

I don’t see any basis for his criticism and while I thought he may have been judged prematurely earlier (as having malign intent, eg FUD, argumentative etc) it is becoming difficult to see him as acting in good faith.

He’s choosing what to respond to and not answering things which I think would expose him.

2 Likes

Was this shouted from the roof tops?

And if not, why not?

OK I understand folk are busy but if gems like that were fed to our Social Network Organisers, surely they then have a chance to get tore in?

3 Likes

One thing @Vort is upset/exercised about is issues that do not get resolved and simply lie open.

Here’s an example

I was told by @danda DBC data - #9 by danda that this looked like a serious bug and should be reported so did the Right Thing and raised an issue.

But nothing happened.

Now Im 99% certain that what happened was it did get looked at, was filed under " We changed that bit this morning, it will be fixed now" and due to pressure of work thats as far as it went.
Cos it does look like a serious bug and cos I havent seen it again and I doubt anyone else has, I am fairly certain it is no longer a problem.
But the dangling issue was left and to an outsider, it might appear the the project just doesnt care.

TBH I had forgotten all about this till I asked @Vort in PM what he was upset about. And also TBH I can kind of see his point,

2 Likes

DBCs have gone through a load of changes in this time. Sorry this was missed though

I am sure there are issues we have not gotten to and some we have to. I think giving Vort a golden punch would please him a lot :wink:

Issues are not right now our main consideration, again man it’s super super hard to get the network stable. We are all trying like hell and we will get there.

Can it be reproduced at all? if it can then please do update the issue, if it’s not then perhaps also update the issue.

We will someday get around to the 17,512 issues we have across our repositories of a non launched fast moving platform :wink: https://github.com/search?o=desc&q=org%3Amaidsafe&s=created&type=Issues

Again not a cop out, but who do we take of current work to do that?

Perhaps openai can clear their 11,000 issues or perhaps rust can clear their 223,846 issues.

Then we can all sleep well :wink:

9 Likes

Right now Im working on a script that will send DBCs to multiple wallets, I’ll stick in a line to check the balance of $STASH ← master wallet with original genesis DBC 4525524120 - after every transaction so if it shows up again, I’ll know about it.

pseudo code - its not meant to be pseudo code but I get errors - so its either pseudo code or crap code

safe wallet reissue --json --from $STASH 42 > ./dbc
  safe wallet deposit --json --dbc ./dbc $wurl 
  safe wallet balance $STASH
3 Likes

To anybody curious:

7 Likes

What we will need to do here is write a proptest for this one. Let’s see if we can encourage @roland to look at it. It’s likely an important one for us to have.

(proptest will send random values to functions and tests it thousands of times in each run, it then reduces faults to simple code and writes a specific unit test to let us know when it is fixed_

5 Likes