Why safecoin instead of Bitcoin?

“Let me show you a secure online syncable dropbox that will store your data FOREVER with a one-time fee”

The way to sell the safe network, is not to sell safecoin, its to sell the Safe Network. Thats the way I see it.

Edit: Because Safecoin is backed by an actual service (storage and delivery of data), you sell the service. The fact that its really easy to buy and transact in the associated currency is just icing on the top.

8 Likes

Now we’re getting somewhere.

1 Like

Great hurdle you raise.

where…? (20 char limit)

@selenium1 and @goindeep

Safecoin is designed to be a part of, to balance and incentivize SAFE Network. Safecoin is an adjunct and integral part of the SAFE Network. There is no separate protocol for safecoin. The functions and capabilities of privacy, security and freedom are the purposes of the network. Safecoin is there to facilitate that.

[Edited here as I had the wrong def of vaporware] Yes, as of the moment safefcoin is not implemented, but it is not vaporware. It is much more than theoretical. The mechanisms to support it are part of the overall network functioning. It will be implemented in its correct sequence, which isn’t till other network functions are stable at a broad peer to peer level.

Patience. It’s all worth waiting for and there are many other preparations the community can and should be putting in place for when the underlying tasks are done.

Though it is not the final article, this post lays out the relative importances. Why Call It "Safecoin Magazine"?

I don’t blame anyone for being impatient. But this is no pump and dump. If the network doesn’t function as expected, safecoin will never materialize. If the network does, safecoin will be and have the capabilities attributed to it.

Bitcoin is not competition. It has its place and function. Other efforts do too. It’s not a zero sum game.

I personally think the SAFE Network will be a complete world-changing technology and safecoin will do things that other currencies can’t. Some will remain and some will die as a result. Don’t know which.

Again, patience–as hard as it is to have it. We’ll see.

Edit to add: Apropos of the thread, there is not reason for an “instead” except that bitcoin could not be used to incentivize the SAFE Network in any effective way.

9 Likes

The main API for routing nodes (this is where you give the network its rules)

I wouldn’t call this vaporware, should have a read of this

6 Likes

Immutable Data
Routing Client - Handles the interactions between client and networked nodes
SAFE Client for interacting with Put, Get, Post, Delete Creating Accounts and Logging In
to just list a few

Combining Vaults code with Routing will give us computer resources that know what to do with chunks when connected together.
@goindeep you need not worry since the applications you can interact with will integrate with however you and others will want. And there are many perspectives. Some folks want to just play games, other to do commerce, and some to communicate, etc. Since there are these many perspectives to interact with, then there are also so many applications to make.

Those tools are coming together nicely, and it is tremendous how much active response there is from the community of developers eager to code and know the libraries and assist in bringing it to life neatly and to specification.

I’m building so that I can release quite a few applications to get started, and I hope that our experiences will be fulfilled and I feel that the world of developers will chime in and come up with many solutions that improve our experiences with the world.

4 Likes

But with Bitcoin it’s a lot easier for Bitcoiners to look up their transaction history and pay their taxes. Internal accounting is a lot easier with Bitcoin.

Perhaps you could do the same with SAFE Network but having a transparent ledger helps.

Or maybe you should just cut the drama and rephrase your question so we can all understand you better. Misunderstandings and miscommunications happen. Deal with it. This is the real world and you are not paying us to smile and mince words. This is a community of volunteers not a for profit company and while people here generally are friendly and try to help one another I dare say we don’t always understand one another and it’s not unreasonable if someone seems new to ask them to read the help files or if they have openly said “That’s not what I meant,” to ask them to clarify what they indeed did mean.

No one is getting irate or upset with you. You’ve been given help and links to information. You claimed to have been around and have read all the information. Then please clarify what you are trying to say. Less drama more communication. In short chill dude and just tell us what your question is and what the issue is about.

3 Likes

I think it really depends on the demographic. For activists I would say Safecoin is better for sure. Bitcoin is having an identity crisis where developers are split between going after mainstream demographics or appealing to activists.

Activists care about anonymity. Mainstream demographics care about legal compliance. This is because mainstream demographics don’t want to take the same kinds of risks, and have a different risk/reward calculation than activists.

An activist is prepared to go to prison for their cause, and face any consequences. A mainstream user is not prepared to go to prison for the cause and may not be willing to face any consequences (such as torture).

We should make the distinction there. If you’re marketing Safecoin or any anonymous currency then your target demographics are usually political activists. Political activists usually don’t have much money so you won’t bring in big money with promises of totally anonymous cyber cash.

Once you understand what you can appeal to then you know the true pros and cons of Safecoin. Safecoin is great, but anonymous currency is a point of controversy and mainstream people don’t actually think of it as a feature but see it as a risk instead.

1 Like

I don’t see that as being much of an advantage.

Bitcoin could be worth anything on any given day. You may or may not have good records of which Pseudonymous addresses where yours (Good practice is to use a different one for every transaction) But you still have to reconcile how many dollars each coin was worth when you bought your morning coffee with it. That is a massive task – Which probably will lead you to using shortcuts that are not best practice – Which will cause things like your co-workers to be able to discover the size of your paycheck (Weather you want them to or not) etc etc…

I see SAFEcoin primarily as a currency used to buy storage and services within the SAFE network, so such accounting wouldn’t be necessary. It will be impossible for governments to track as it is issued within the network without record of any identities.

1 Like

anyway someone will know the size of your paycheck because you have to deal with a bank, there are plenty of legitimate use cases, where people would prefer to use an anonymous system. Anonymous Donation, perhaps? an official one. The network is like an attorney representing your signature. So that you can actually anonymously donate funds to the cause of your choice.

an example…

4 Likes

Just like cash, no records with the actual currency, and people use proper book keeping if its needed.

Bitcoin is like the accountants General Ledger with no descriptions beside each entry and no descriptions for each GL-code (bitcoin address). It would be a nightmare for any proper accountancy, unless transaction descriptions are added and GL codes are named. In other words people use proper book keeping if its needed.

1 Like

The SAFE Network: The Greatest Vaporware Not Yet Created Ever Made

1 Like

I see privacy as the new commodity. Every other day someone has been hacked. Customer, government or commercial information is stolen, sold and bought.

Privacy is the angle for the mainstream.

But seriously it’s been in development for almost a decade now. With immense thought capacity geared toward it, constantly. Plenty of documentation/history/media/information/maths/flowcharts/code/everything/etc. to back it up. The founder is just now taking a 2 weeks break after not having one that long for a decade. If that’s not someone you want to admire and follow, then… well I could put it very coarsely. I’m glad finally some SAFE affiliated moderators came in here, as it was getting too hectic (since people [I would call them trolls but they possibly, or even likely aren’t] like very specific answers, and get rather perturbed when they don’t get their perfectly worded response… so maybe they are trolls LOL. I kid… I think.)

1 Like

If I were marketing for Maid Safe I would focus on two strategies.

1. Privacy. Sell privacy to business > business sell it to the mainstream. Privacy sells. Tech mumbo jumbo doesn’t.
  2. Dollars & Bitcoins as tokens not Safecoin. Align the network with dollars and bitcoins. The publics perception should be that you can use the network or network services easily, you just pay for it using your money or your bitcoins… what happens after that who cares (what really happens after that is your dollars and or bitcoins are transferred into safecoin tokens) and this last part of the process needs to be direct and handled by the network the minute third parties are introduced people will become sceptical. In my city to use our public transport network you exchange your money for Myki credits which exist as a dollar value. The same thing needs to happen here.

Im not a troll at all. And let me give you a tip if your going to go about saying such things at least have the cahones to man up and say it directly instead of beating around the bush.

I’ve been monetarily invested in SC since I first heard about it and i’ve paid out of my own pocket for marketing efforts the the community, network etc wouldn’t even know about because I don’t generally like to blow my own trumpet.

And exactly what you just said is part of the same reason only on the opposite spectrum as to why some people would question. There have been many works of art that have never been completed Safe would not be the first.

As yo your whole direct question thing. I feel like beating my head against the wall. This is a place for discussion. Sometimes you’ll find that by talking to people and opening up a dialogue or in this case a post is far more valuable than asking direct questions with direct answers and sometimes those questions can’t even be gestated accurately until discussion ensues, so please spare me, we’re not all robots yet.

2 Likes

The difficulty of getting dollars into bitcoins is still there , what is going to make this easier for safe?

you can set up dollars as tokens but they wont be dollars, if they are actually dollars you are talking about the need to do something not even bitcoin can do on a country wide scale let alone a global .

How are you planning on rewarding people? buying up 10 million bitcoin to pay and reward people?

This might be why some people are often considered “agressive” and maybe a little “brash” . you come in here saying you dont have much understanding and to please bear with you so you can gain a better understanding , then you push forward an idea after flat out stating you don’t fully understand it, as being the ideal solution to something that isn’t even considered a problem to most. now i understand its ideas and discussions phase, but a complete overhaul of a system for no real reason is not really gonna happen

1 Like

I see SAFEcoin as being mostly network currency…

That means if you want more of it, you go buy a hard drive and start serving the network… No need for exchanges…

That is a lot easier than bitcoin – although that is only one route… You can still obtain it the harder way…

1 Like