Why isn't there a trillion dollars of funding and 100000 engineers working on SAFE?!

I done my fair share on researching trustless system. It’s almost impossible.

A trustless escrow service is achievable. But outside of this scope in cyberspace, it’s not feasible. Anonymous who sells product requires trust. People don’t want to buy poison. They put trust on him to not put poison in their product. If it happened, the victim will speak out. Thereby nullifying the trust.

If you want make trade with another in person, you need put trust the trader to not pull the gun out. Same deal for shipping a box across the country. You need put trust on the shipper.

There are two options; Trust or don’t.

Reminds me of the control problem with AI. We want one that will be our friend or be friendly or at least that we can trust not to try to control us. Seems we’re after a self enforcing constitution of sorts.

@jreighley Ads and Netflix?

1 Like

If we’re merging with it and becoming one then there is no control issue,

No more than you’re worried about your hand taking over your body :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

hmm - thanks for sharing all your thoughts

but as you said yourself you have a server running anyway - i have one too - the costs for those don’t change if running vaults or not. No reason to take down a vault … do you know someone who is still mining with his home computer …? (i wanted to say there won’t ever be a reason to shut the vault down … in contrast to bitcoins centralization process)
I think the assumption that there will be at least a part of the vaults running on spare resources isn’t too bold … and if it turns out to be profitable i might rent some additional servers.

yes price will incentivise using servers with fast connection to most clients + cheap + reliable … hops through other vaults will lessen the advantage of super-huge speed of your connection … so reliable + cheap with fair speed will be the main factors as i see them

reliable is possible everywhere in the world … and i think cheap can be managed in different ways … it’s not necessarily the amazon datacenter (in my eyes those large companies won’t ever have dedicated resources for safenet anyway …) they may jump on safe with spare-resources …but their management structure is too expensive to compete with me just plugging raspis into smaller icelandic//german//french//american//chinese//japanese//… data-centers with used HDDs attached to them …

3 Likes

I totally agree with you but you did not get my point.
I also believe enlightened despotism is the best governance model. Better than oligarchy or democracy. What I am saying is Maidsafe will have to step down a bit at some point, especially if SAFE is successful, because if it is too much centralized, gouvernements will command them to moderate content or die. You do not want a single point of failure, right ?

I sometimes doubt the extent of the demand for a secure decentralized storage network like SAFE and then I read that 130 million people’s private data are at risk of being hacked:

Aadhaar kicked off in 2009, linking each Indian resident’s biometric data and sensitive personally identifying information to a unique 12-digit number.

It’s been controversial since its inception, with privacy advocates and cybersecurity experts warning that the system held the potential for terrible breaches with unimaginably ghastly consequences.

Now, in a new report published yesterday by researchers from the Bangalore-based think-tank the Centre for Internet and Society, Amber Sinha and Srinivas Kodali comprehensively document the many ways in which Aadhaar is leaking, tracking the #aadhaarleaks hashtag, which has revealed potentially compromising information on more than 130,000,000 people, largely material that is intentionally available through official portals.

2 Likes

I cant explain how excited I am for this! I really do think this will be a mainstream thing. I look at it like a TOR without the assumed illegality.

4 Likes