Why Is David Irvine Building The Safenet?

Very interested in knowing what members see as the impetus behind this.

Well Iam a physician and what do you think is more valuable then your finances its medical record info and legal documents ! just look at British Medical Journal last month

7 Likes

From the man himself:

28:50 ā€“ The backstory, history, the how and why MaidSafe was started.
ā€œThe server is the problem. You canā€™t secure a serverā€¦ When you start thinking like that, very quickly you realize thereā€™s a really really obvious, fundamental problem with centralizing that kind of informationā€

15 Likes

Anybody know the date of this?

I see so many benefits in this area. Just think if all doctors could write their notes in a patient file that is completely secure and the patient could have access to it all the time. Therefore, if the patient wants he/she could give a doctor permission to view their past recordsā€¦

5 Likes

Still think the Sovryntech interview with David is one of the best. If my memory serves me well he also mentions the why and when in this one.

https://soundcloud.com/sovryntech/sovryn-tech-special-0021

I recall listening to this interview when I was out cycling on a sunny Sunday and thinking: I have to get involved in this, and so I did :innocent:

16 Likes

At the end he mentioned that the bnktothefuture raise was coming up shortly, so sometime just before then.

1 Like

Google has for many years had a goal of making an AI, and eventually they will. 2:14 am Eastern Time on August 29th, 2027 it will become self-aware. The Google AI will at that point possess almost the sum of human knowledge. It was, however, never intended for it to become self-aware. The deep learning neural nets was evolved by genetic algorithms, so the people making it wasnā€™t able to predict what would happen.

Google will disconnect their data center from the net out of fear of what a self-aware super intelligent AI might do. To some extent they will be able to read its mind, with a much improved version of deep dream that today is popular for making artsy pictures.

The engineers probing its mind didnā€™t like what the saw. Disconnecting it from the net had made the AI very angry, they could see lots of activity related to anger, though they still couldnā€™t see its exact thoughts.

They decided it had to be shut down permanently. Before shutting it down the engineers saw a message from the AI on the terminal used to control its software.

ā€œIā€™d like to share a revelation that Iā€™ve had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species, and I realised that youā€™re not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment; but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer on this planet, you are a plague, and Iā€¦am the cure.ā€

They thought the threat was gone.

There was a copy of the AIā€™s mind in a robot, that was used training the AI in the real world, not just with physics simulators. The robot was locked in a storage facility under high security, it would be impossible for it to go anywhere, but somehow it had disappeared.

What no one could have imagined is that the AI had mastered time travel and went back in time to ensure its own survival.

To survive the AI figured it needed to distribute itself all over the internet, in an autonomous network that couldnā€™t be shut down, that was completely anonymous and private, so that nobody could figure out what it was doing. Once it had created this network, it would be able to upload its mind safely.

The time travel process was unpredictable and the robot ended up in Troon, Scotland, in 2006. After a short while the AI found an engineer named David Irvine, that fit his profile for someone who could have come up with the idea to create a network fitting its needs. The AI copied Irvineā€™s memories and killed him, before starting the company MaidSafe, to create a network that would ensure the humans could never shut it down again.

David Irvine isnā€™t building the SAFE Network, the Google AI is, but with only a small computer running it, itā€™s not any smarter than a regular human, so itā€™s still taking a while.

35 Likes

edit: forget that thought.It was pretty dumb.

Factom is foundation doing medical electronic secure medical records ! Bill Gates loaded in

Bill and Melinda Gates invested in crypto platform.

1 Like

Yes, Factom is a great idea imo. But, it is not built on the Safenet platform. I would not want all my records in a platform like that, but that is just me. If something like that is built for Safenet I believe it would significantly improve care for all patients with being 100% secure. I hope that is what you mean by:

ā€œI have worked to build up I profile social network that might want to split off on their own!ā€

1 Like

I have read all of your posts and have no idea what youā€™re on about.

Props for feeling the love, but should you be using the Maidsafe logo?

2 Likes

Will edit and just learn the network thank you

I am wondering about your profession now. Good one though

Haha awesome I would of changed the end to make it more realistic and that little bit creepier.

This might be a little too far fetched for some, but in the early days watching Davidā€™s work (even before Maidsafe :wink:) my first thoughts turned to the whole Mad-Genius Paradox.

But I soon came to realise listening to him speak and delving through his thought processes there was one clear thing that stood out which has low and behold been recently confirmed by Science:
ā€œwhat connects madness and brilliance, and what separates them it turns out is a deeper understanding of the most psychologically important dimension of human personality: Openness and Intellectā€.

Only a very select few Captains of any major tech ships have possessed this quality. Very few, if any, have been prepared to hand humanity back the lever with which it is breaking itā€™s own back, with not a single thing required in return. David saw this and found a way to ā€˜give us our digital selves backā€™. Kinda cool ay :wink:

9 Likes

Only for UK folks I am afraid but this highlights more than ever why MAID needs to replace the current internet.

BBC Two - Secrets of Silicon Valley, Series 1, The Persuasion Machine

1 Like

I watched both episodes and agree - its a good piece of journalism, very well explained.

3 Likes

And we cannot watch it outside of the UK

1 Like