When there is a Chinese version?

I am a Chinese, there is a problem many people around me, about at the time of operating Alpha version, the biggest problem, I think there is no Chinese version, when will you have any Chinese version? I know you with taiyi strategic partners, Chinese version will be coming soon?

7 Likes

I completed a feature to enable multiple languages in the launcher, however the launcher is due for significant changes so I abandoned this work.

At the app level (eg demo app, email app), it will depend on the vendor to provide translations for their particular app.

Vaults are a background process, but it’s possible there will be interfaces in the future if the vault rpc feature is implemented, where it will depend on the developer of the interface to include multiple languages.

Hopefully this clarifies the current situation.

I would love to see i18n considered from the very start for apps, since the majority of users will probably be non-English speakers.

edit: Also have a look at the Translations thread for more info about this topic (more about the documentation than the software).

4 Likes

Thank you, I will continue to focus on

Just a thought here guys about translation. How much of the Launcher and/or demo app actually changes from version to version? Is there a way to list all the text messages, instructions and documents somewhere and prioritize them by how often they change and how much they are used? Like “Account Secret” and “Account Password” for example. That doesn’t change much, it’s needed in every version and there are just so many ways to say it. The same is true of the accompanying documentation. So you could get that kind of thing translated first. Maybe you can’t get the whole app translated but you can get the important parts translated so that it’s at least usable. Also adding pictures to the app functions so that even if you can’t READ the text you can understand it’s function. I understand the devs are busy but that could be something the community could get on top of. The Devs could just make a list of various functions then the community could pull together and make icons and artwork to be plugged into the apps so that even if you’re a native Chinese speaker for example you can look at the picture and get a rough idea of what the app is supposed to DO. Then if you’re confused about something you can hop on the forums and ask a question. It’s not a perfect solution but it would be a step in the right direction and make things more usable, in a practical sense.

For the Chinese speaking people/对于中文的人

Duìyú zhōngwén de rén

只是一个想法这里家伙翻译。 Launcher和/或演示应用程序实际上从版本更改到版本有多少?有没有办法列出所有的文本消息,说明和文档在某个地方,并按优先次序,它们改变的频率和它们被使用多少?例如,像“帐户密码”和“帐户密码”。这不会改变太多,它需要在每个版本,有只有这么多的方式来说。随附的文档也是如此。所以你可以得到这样的事情翻译第一。也许你不能得到整个应用程序翻译,但你可以得到重要的部分翻译,使其至少可用。还要添加图片到应用程序的功能,这样即使你不能读取文本,你可以理解它的功能。我理解开发商很忙,但这可能是社区可以得到的东西。 Devs可以只是制作一个列表的各种功能,然后社区可以拉在一起,使图标和艺术品插入到应用程序,所以即使你是一个母语的中国扬声器,你可以看看图片,并得到一个粗糙应用程序应该做什么的想法。然后,如果你困惑的东西,你可以在论坛上跳跃,并提出一个问题。这不是一个完美的解决方案,但它将是一个正确的方向一步,使事情更实用,在实际意义上。

Zhǐshì yīgè xiǎngfǎ zhèlǐ jiāhuo fānyì. Launcher hé/huò yǎnshì yìngyòng chéngxù shíjì shang cóng bǎnběn gēnggǎi dào bǎnběn yǒu duōshǎo? Yǒu méiyǒu bànfǎ liè chū suǒyǒu de wénběn xiāoxī, shuōmíng hé wéndàng zài mǒu gè dìfāng, bìng àn yōuxiān cìxù, tāmen gǎibiàn de pínlǜ hé tāmen bèi shǐyòng duōshǎo? Lìrú, xiàng “zhànghù mìmǎ” hé “zhànghù mìmǎ”. Zhè bù huì gǎibiàn tài duō, tā xūyào zài měi gè bǎnběn, yǒu zhǐyǒu zhème duō de fāngshì lái shuō. Suí fù de wéndàng yěshì rúcǐ. Suǒyǐ nǐ kěyǐ dédào zhèyàng de shìqíng fānyì dì yī. Yěxǔ nǐ bùnéng dédào zhěnggè yìngyòng chéngxù fānyì, dàn nǐ kěyǐ dédào zhòngyào de bùfèn fānyì, shǐ qí zhìshǎo kěyòng. Hái yào tiānjiā túpiàn dào yìngyòng chéngxù de gōngnéng, zhèyàng jíshǐ nǐ bùnéng dòu qǔ wénběn, nǐ kěyǐ lǐjiě tā de gōngnéng. Wǒ lǐjiě kāifā shāng hěn máng, dàn zhè kěnéng shì shèqū kěyǐ dédào de dōngxī. Devs kěyǐ zhǐshì zhìzuò yīgè lièbiǎo de gè zhǒng gōngnéng, ránhòu shèqū kěyǐ lā zài yīqǐ, shǐ túbiāo hé yìshù pǐn chārù dào yìngyòng chéngxù, suǒyǐ jíshǐ nǐ shì yīgè mǔyǔ de zhōngguó yángshēngqì, nǐ kěyǐ kàn kàn túpiàn, bìng dédào yīgè cūcāo yìngyòng chéngxù yīnggāi zuò shénme de xiǎngfǎ. Ránhòu, rúguǒ nǐ kùnhuò de dōngxī, nǐ kěyǐ zài lùntán shàng tiàoyuè, bìng tíchū yīgè wèntí. Zhè bùshì yīgè wánměi de jiějué fāng’àn, dàn tā jiāng shì yīgè zhèngquè de fāngxiàng yībù, shǐ shìqíng gèng shíyòng, zài shíjì yìyì shàng.

3 Likes

You can find all the phrases from the launcher in en.json which can be used directly or converted to almost any format required (eg .pot for use with gettext)

Note that some have variables denoted by %s in the string. Also some phrases may be missing, such as password strength suggestions from zxcvbn and times from moment.js.

4 Likes

Well like i said it doesn’t need to be perfect just functional. Even a quick cheat sheet would be useful for our Chinese friends so they can read get around in the app.

4 Likes

If a Chinese version of en.json can be supplied, I would be happy to provide a custom multi-language build of the launcher for the alpha network. However it may take a little time since alpha launcher uses angular, whereas the newer launcher is react (which is what I previously developed multi-language support for).

4 Likes

Ok, I also will continue to focus on, also in the understanding of learning M

5 Likes

Thanks @chencc218 for walking me up to this. It is something I have not been thinking about yet but will start looking into now.

@mav before I just do a web search, do you have any pointers for me? I’m looking just at web apps, so given a website, do you have any suggestions for tools or resources should I start with? Even just search terms would help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I forked the en.json. Just basically ran all the phrases through Google translate and made them into Simplified Chinese. I make no guarentee that they’ll be perfectly translated (in fact they probably won’t be) but it’s a start. If nothing else it can work as a quick and dirty translation phrasebook. :smile:

6 Likes

The main point I would give (which is quite obvious) is to search your library + i18n, eg ‘angular i18n’. It makes things much easier to use existing ‘plugins’ for frontend libraries.

Features you may not need now but may need later are

• interpolation, eg ‘Have a %s day’
  • plurals
  • gender variations
  • supplying context, eg close: is this ‘stop the program’ or is this ‘within proximity’?
  • portability
    • between translation libraries, ie separate concerns between phrases vs translation logic
    • between platforms, eg browser vs electron vs other languages etc

I would also strong recommend checking out l20n but have not yet had opportunity to use it myself.

2 Likes

ah…! google translate, especially with Chinese, is notoriously bad (or at least it was last time I tried it which was a few years ago). But I will use this as a placeholder while I develop so thanks for the effort, it makes my life easier :slight_smile:

Looking forward to native-speakers supplying future translations in hopefully many different languages.

3 Likes

Well like i said it’s not perfect but it should give people a general idea of what button to push to upload their cat pics lol.

4 Likes

I have some media friends, have a need to promote to tell me, I will help

3 Likes

I would add:

• Date and numbers formats
  • Currency
3 Likes

Another point to remember is supporting right-to-left languages such as Arabic.

Ideally this should be as simple (in html) as adding a dir="rtl" attribute to the <body> tag of the page. However if not accounted for up front it can create a lot of additional work, as demonstrated by the 600 additional lines of css required to make rtl languages work in the launcher.

Compare a naive rtl interface vs an aware one (and here’s how it looks after the naive one is made aware):

So the cumulative list of considerations so far is:

• interpolation, eg ‘Have a %s day’
  • plurals
  • gender variations
  • supplying context, eg close: is this ‘stop the program’ or is this ‘within proximity’?
  • portability
    • between translation libraries, ie separate concerns between phrases vs translation logic
    • between platforms, eg browser vs electron vs other languages etc
  • Date and numbers formats
  • Currency
  • Right-To-Left languages
4 Likes