What's our marketing hook? What do we do about it?

How about a meme of a farm with trees bearing SAFE fruits? How about a safe fruit falling on Newton’ s head? … How about someone (Zuckerberger??) biting a safefruit and breaking their teeth; :“Man, this fruit knows how to keep it SAFE!” …"… How about a Camen Miranda with a basketful of SAFE fruits on her head? COME YOU 2… START FARMING, This Maid will keep you safe! Your Farm will give you the sweetest safest crops ever! Start farming vaults with real cash inside! … (Just brainstorming here, folks) … :sweat_smile:

How about a CPU - his cabinet - be a tree? a farm? with the SAFE logo bearing cash/safecoin fruits beside a nerd guy on his physical desk?

This is the key one I think. Something goes ping in their brain, because it connects with something they already know/think/feel, and they go “Ah I now get it, that’s amazing. I must go and tell my friend.”

That’s more about message then follow up. What’s going to inspire articles like “5 things to know about Safe”, “Is Safe right for you?”, “Is Safe all it’s cracked up to be?”, “My bizarre Safe love triangle” (maybe not the last one).

5 Likes

Yeah, @m3data is working on making videos like that easier to produce for others to produce.

3 Likes

Something goes ping in their brain, because it connects with something they already know/think/feel, and they go “Ah I now get it, that’s amazing. I must go and tell my friend.”

That’s exactly it. This project is so huge and different it’s hard to convey easily. I had that problem recently trying to explain this project to some people. They kept thinking in traditional Bitcoin/blockchain terms and related everything to that. That frame of reference prevents grasping the enormity of the Safe Network’s potential.

1 Like

I think the smart folk here that likely enjoy metrics and so on may find this article about metcalfe’s law valuable. Would love to see how this could be modeled to Safe in terms of store cost, nodes, value.

cc: @oetyng @danda @mav @happybeing @Sotros25

4 Likes

Also @happybeing this is a page on step by step how to set up a sales funnel, good read for any of us. We’re in good hands though we should continue to help but @Sotros25 effectively describes such an approach earlier in the thread.

4 Likes

Yeah you’re spot on.

3 Likes

Just to throw some thoughts into the ring… :slight_smile:

Referring back to recent threads, it’s all about the data. The network is just a means to store and access the data. The problem is, people may not understand their relationship with their data or what it means. Should we be trying to suggest to them that they should be aware at the same time, even if implicitly?

Own Your Data.

Unpacking this, it suggests to me that I don’t already. How can this be? Owning is empowering… I want to own it. Tell me more… :slight_smile:

To own something, is to control it. To have it safely and securely tucked away. It will only be seen by others on my say so. Saying it is yours suggests it should be no other way either. Why does Facebook think they own it? What gives them the right to sell it?

Maybe the message is too simple, as it doesn’t really explain what it all means. Maybe a hook line shouldn’t though? It does feel like this core attribute (data) and the human instinct to own what is theirs is compelling though.

6 Likes

Slow progress on this front at the moment. But I’ll keep chipping away…

Maybe do a loom video talking through the concept I might be able to figure out something simple :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am new here.

In 1992 a guy ask me if I heard of this “information superhighway” thing. He asked because he know I was a geek. He was not. That was my first hint of this thing. My thought was what good is that going to do. in 1994 I was hearing about this world wide web thing. Finally, I asked someone in a school computer lab (university) what this www thing is. He introduced me to netscape and yahoo. Been trying to do things ever since. I was late to the boat on “oldnet” as I have just coined it. “net1” is that 90’s internet. I remember a big hype about “internet 2” which seems to have IP6 and big OC (optical=fast) pipes etc.

To ME, the SAFE network is “net3”. That is the term I have coined for myself. I have heard about bitcoin for years. I just recently actually started using it and understanding it, blockchain, and what in the blazes “mining” is (which really is AUDITING with potential for reward for doing so).

So being that I have not even a week to really see what the heck this Maidsafe SAFE NETWORK is. It offers so much more than what most thing of network. In the 90’s I had to spend a lot of money to get “hosting” and setup dns servers and mail servers and RAID and switches and routers. PLUS have big powerful webservers to handle the .ASP pages. Quite honestly, I had a plan to expand my single server hosting services (as in a site was tied to one server) and build essentially a private cloud in 2004. It was not the cloud then, but that is what the plan was using many physical servers as VM has not quite caught on then. I then crashed in business because of outside hackers and lost everything.

I can build an accounting app (which for me would with F#,WASM/Blazor and dotnet) so the app runs completely on a person’s browser. They can install it as a PWA. I do not need the gatekeepers of APPLE and GOOGLE. I will not get removed from their store. We have already seen alternative app markets pop up.

I do NOT want to be responsible for my users financial data. Use my app or not, up to you. You are responsible for you own data protection and back up. My plan is to have cloud drives they can hook up (like Google Drive, OneDrive, Box, Dropbox, etc.) and the app will use the apis to handle storage. With SN, that could be just another option (default when actually live and working) and the storage is just there. The website hosting is just there. The infrastructure is just there. The speed is just there.
MY cost?
I spent time and money to develop my app. I pay by giving up some of my unused computing resources and get to use everyones elses. I am building the app for my own use. But I will do it open-source. Others who use it can tip/reward/buy me a coffee or whatever else type of donation if they feel value from my app. This would particularly effective by tipping with a specific request or improvement desired. Other developers could choose to make it better by PRing upgrades they made to fit their uses or not. If someone really wants a feather, they can contract me to do it. maybe they allow included in opensource for all, maybe not. I can price them respectively.

If I want to earn money from farming, I can buy more resources and put them in. If value to others is added, I get paid extra. If I am able to get a group of neighbors to build a network backbone, they can get rewarded for the line through their property. The value added to the network. No cable company. No telecom. Just individuals choosing to provide resources for their own use and benefit as well as potential to “mine” or get rewards. There are plenty of areas that still do not have fast internet AT ALL. This can change with the benefit and rewards factors with SN. My family cemetery (which was on the farm) is on the edge of 2 counties in the sticks where wired telephones barely work and cell does not at all. If I am able to figure out how to extend access to there through entirely private individual untrusted and trusted participation… well, that just makes things a better world for all.

“Participate in making life better.”

My issue right now is trying to understand where I fit in the stack, the SN resources that I need for what I want to do, and what the real current states of SN is and what level is it at.

The videos on MAIDSAFE are actually really helpful to understand as a newbie what the heck is this thing.
The next level I would be interested in how to help and get involved and explore.
As a general person (like my non-technical wife), she is interested only in what apps are there. How is something going to improve her life. So detailing apps would be a good point. ‘free’ secure safe file storage for all her picture.
As an Ops guy and a wannabe developer, I want to understand what are the parts I need to install. How does SN compare to oldnet with things like routing, webservers, auth, streaming AND I think this is important, how do we bridge net3 with old net to start gaining incremental benefit.

I have two mobile routers. One VZW, one ATT and I would love to add T-Mobile. My thoughts have been to use pepwave speedfusion to bind them together. I will need to have the other side to make that work. That is how I got to maidsafe, researching that. If I have a computer (maybe a Raspberry Pi, not sure yet, still trying to figure that out from all the stuff here) that hooked to each of those devices. I then hook my computer, phone, gps, temp loggers and whatever else needs internet behind the ‘router’ pc. My question is how do I get my 3 sources to combine and use all/best/failover etc. Speedify has been seen here in the forum. And I think my next test will be something like that.

If the router was SN gateway, then I did a VPN like thing over SN and hooked it to a VPN on the other side with a SN gateway… would that accomplish my task?

The second thought is also though to have a bpg or something like that router that handles old net traffic and so it somehow works that way. That is one area I lake real knowing of.

Lots to figure out.This is where I think a big improvement can happen.

13 Likes

Something else just hit me. This SN reminds of the building blocks when MS Azure first started.
You had storage, website hosting and VMs. everything there build on top of those blocks. Reminds me nodes, vaults and website…

4 Likes

Great post Ivan! It’s a good reminder of what Safe Network will mean to so many.

This quoted point is something worth highlighting too. It isn’t just about folks keeping their personal data safe, it is about limiting the responsibility resting on the developer. The developers don’t want to have to worry about securing that data either! They just want to provide the app. From a liability perspective - whether insured or not - it isn’t something a developer wants to deal with.

5 Likes

Very true. On the day job, I’m leading a cross-functional innovation team that is exploring data privacy. I pitched what I called a “comprehensive approach to championing the consumer’s right to data privacy” with one of the major benefits being reducing corporate liability for aggregating, transmitting, and storing consumer data. That liability costs businesses billions. Companies are beginning to realize that Big Data is a double-edged sword.

11 Likes

Also country border controls on data. Safe also blows that apart. As long as apps use self_encryption (we need to make this tight) then data as a readable thing does not exist so “safe harbour” et al’ are rendered ineffective and possibly redundant.

9 Likes

How did you hear about us?

1 Like

I was affected in the ledger bungle…this is big stuff. Lucky for me I used different phone numbers and addresses…

The replies are great!

I think what we are starting to do is slowly start the stages of a fine distillation. Some very specific hooks here are beginning to emerge, or at least it feels to me that the bubbling process is beginning to happen.

Like @Sotros25 has said and many others over the years have highlighted too, selling privacy is like selling insurance, in all honesty no one really cares until they need to care and by then it’s too late. We care, but we are few and far between, that is not to say that the privacy community globally won’t give us an edge, it will but it is not a large enough net to cast and rely upon.

What is beginning to form in my mind is this cloud of data ownership, freedom and fundamental human rights in this SAFE environment balanced out with this corporate liability that they’re taking on.

Those things are not sexy in the slightest but that doesn’t mean they don’t matter. The health industry for example is a great example of this. We all know it. Let me explain…

Dieting, celery, shakes, pushups and exercise, waking up early, more celery, a trainer yelling at you, eating, fasting, drinking lots of water, no beer, no pizza, IT F*CKING SUCKS! Its utter drudgery. Especially when you are overweight, especially when you have 100lbs to lose, especially when you hate exercise, especially when your fridge is stocked full of coke, frozen pizza and the cupboard filled with chips.

But this industry discovered something very powerful early on.

They discovered that the way to sell their goods was to not focus on the beginning, the harsh cold mornings, the scales, the celery and carrot sticks, but to focus on the end, the ripped tanned six pack abs that gets the girls, the slim tummy, thick booty and hour-glass figure that gets the boys…fat turned into a fat sizzling, muscle building dream beach bod with a winners lifestyle, fast cars, big muscles, hot dates, winning, alpha as f*ck.

Health in our version of the world is privacy, security and decentralisation. Health is OK, privacy is OK. But what sells better is intrinsic human motivators.

This is what we need to do, we need to take what we know at its core is GOOD and HEALTHY for humanity but that is essentially boring in the beginning stages for the masses and show them the end.

Show them what they can have in a year not on day one.

What is that end?

Sex, mating, food, money, power, freedom… further distilled versions are yachts, beaches, cocktails, laughter, children, good times.

Data is money, servers are money, ownership of those is power, power leads to sex, mating, intimacy.

It’s all brilliantly intertwined. And if it can be harnessed it is magic.

Jeff Bezos is power, Elon Musk is power, Mark Zuckerberg is power. They have OWNERSHIP. They are as powerful as they are because they OWN ASSETS. These ASSETS can be owned by the very users of SAFE.

How do we package this up into perfectly sized little balls of goodness that our future users will gobble up? The future bod, maybe in this sense is the future data centre owner?
I honestly do not know right now. These are ideas.

The original videos and articles that attracted me to MaidSafe and the network worked on me because I could see it, I could see the potential. Most people will likely not see it although I do think there has been a massive shift in the last few years with all of the censorship, bannings and blockings.

Parler was essentially digitally executed because they did not OWN their data, their users did not OWN their data, they gave it up, Amazon owned and controlled it.

GAB on the other hand does OWN its own data, not much for their users sake, but they do OWN their own data and it is much harder to silence them, this means they can continue to operate and grow $$$. This is just another way to look at it.

How do you take a real life example like that and spin it, remove the politics and deliver that message to the masses?

I honestly cannot get away from the fact that it has to do with money. I have racked and re-racked my brain and I cannot distance myself from this. It is at the heart of it. And it is not something I have made up or thought of, its a natural part of it as it seems.

As some of you know I have written a few pieces on MaidSafe and SAFE and published them on Medium. My most popular article was https://medium.com/safenetwork/how-to-easily-mine-a-unique-cryptocurrency-on-any-device-for-free-and-the-best-part-its-already-c32b74cd8b5 had something like 6.9K views with a avg. read time of 14 minutes! 14 minutes is uncommon, most articles with thousands of views are in the 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 minute range. WHY?

MONEY

The SAFE network represents monetary opportunities because it handles data in a novel way. And as a technology loving society, we all kind of understand technology and data equals money in this modern world even if we don’t understand how or why. We just get it, most people get it at some level.

And there are different opportunities as we all know.

Farming.
App development.
Websites.
Services.
Content creation.
…and ones we are not even aware of.

The first is farming because it has to be this way, it is a requirement for success of our network.

Attracting farmers in my opinion will be far easier than attracting app developers, folks interested in privacy, decentralization and content creators. In the process this naturally comes second.

Inviting someone who is already interested in things such as cryptocurrency, mining, decentralization, computer networking to SAFE where they can earn tokens for participating in a network and providing some basic resources is like shooting fish in a barrell.
Many of these same targets have already tried and FAILED at mining because it is too heavy a resource burden for them to even break even.

If we can attract, and we will, the initial one thousand farmers, our network will succeed I believe, our work will be made so much easier, these thousand farmers will be naturally incentivised to invite and attract others to use their network.
I repeat. This is not something we even need to develop or create or build in them, it’s not something that needs to be communicated and harped on, this is just intrinsic behaviour that will occur naturally.

My vision: I see a future where every home has inside of it its own miniature data centre. A miniature SAFE Network data centre to be precise. Whirring away silently, contributing to human data. Non-government, non-corporate owned, pure human peer-to-peer decentralized data. And all while earning enough to pay for itself or in some cases, for the aged nodes enough to maybe and possible pay them an income. The early bird gets the worm! And just like that we welcome our one thousand individual farmers!
Just like every home in the west has a fridge, tv, dvd, microwave and of course similar to a wireless/ethernet router, a piece of technology most people barely understand but they have it because they need it to CONNECT.

When the farmers are on SAFE, the app developers start to develop because they too see the new opportunities and they begin to develop and publish chat apps, forums, social media, funny websites, adult websites, music content, video content, content for kids… now the farmers and app developers have something to invite the masses to…

Pie in the sky maybe.

I will be writing some more articles on Hackernoon this time targeted towards the monetary opportunities SAFE brings. Lets see what happens. Stay tuned.

4 Likes

This is so true. To sell something that seems so unobtainable or perhaps intangible and high effort, you have to focus solely on the appealing end result.

In our case I’m not sure if we can focus so much on sexy as we can convenience. I’ll hop in the other thread to attempt to add to the conversation on that front.

2 Likes

It should come down to trust. Can the tech be trusted as a foundation to build the future on in such challenging times with so many existential threats like AI, nuclear proliferation and climate change?

Zuboff said the current model is based on selling prediction on product sell throughs but for increasing returns that prediction model must yield to literal control through direct behavioral manipulation to achieve total accuracy in prediction. She called it a Skinerian nightmare. An example shr cited of where that goes is insurance companies insisting they must be able to spy on your driving to collude up rates but then going one further in lobbying for the “control” to be able to disable your car the minute your insurance payment is late. So the current model is about control and enclosure. So same as the old model but with tyrrany of the data base added in. People don’t want that tyrrany.

Bitcoin was supposed to be a stabile store of value (goal of being free of manipulation again) but now a pro short former SEC commissioner laughably and hypocritically wants Tesla investigated for manipulating bitcoin’s value. And look at bitcoin’s ourageous origins, its literally something the US state developed out of financial warfare efforts.

People don’t want any of that. They want trust and truth matching, they want trust based relationships and they want win-win instead of zero sum. They want the commons back. They want their freedom back and they want an end to self promoting grifters being given control over their lives through corrupt law and other means.
SAFE attempts to address central points of failure. It takes us away from the direction of turning the internet into the one way top down megaphone of sponsored broadcast TV- takes us away from employer media and away from top down command and control supply side inbread society. Away from (to paraphrase): the medium of control itself is the message or more control

Been hearing about a particular royal whose tossed the family mafia, married out of race, moved out of the country, said he’d work for a living, (apparently put himself in harms way,) ditched TV and social media. Now that seems quite noble if it can be kept up. People want to be able to disconnect from the borg and the rent.

But it won’t be enough to run it on the ISPs the public already paid for ten times over with an ocean of unlit fiber and gouged rates and long distance scams etc. It needs to be based on mesh hardware the public owns and controls directly and elements like whitenoise channels and line of sight optical and stuff that bypasses sponsored (private or state) physical control. So now that the SAFE beta is about here its about time to think of SAFE mesh nodes again that are dirt cheap milspec tough solar powered and solid state made in numbers far greater than AK 47s. Imagine if one could could glue one to their roof and it would instantly link with free space optical to the one their neighbors glued to their roofs. People want to cord cut and pump cut.

3 Likes

Keep a Copy on Safe

Target audience: My Mum

“Where did I leave that document? I emailed it but I’ve searched and searched and I still can’t find it. Worst thing is I seem to have deleted it. It’s not on my laptop, or the PC or my phone. Yes, I should have printed it out, but what with everything going on it would probably have gone missing or got chucked out, and anyway I was too preoccupied with other things. I had that cloud storage thing a while ago which my friend recommended, so it may be there, but I can’t remember the password because I always used to use the cat’s name until you told me that wasn’t secure, so I changed it and wrote the new one down somewhere but I can’t remember where…”

From now on, Mum, with important documents, photos, contacts, medical records anything you really don’t want to lose - just Keep a Copy on Safe®. It will always be there, safe and secure, away from hackers and scammers forever. There’s just one login for everything. What’s that? No, I’m afraid you can’t use the cat’s name for the password again.

3 Likes