What should my PublicID/service be?

Hi,
I am pretty new to this forum. Personally I came to know about safenetwork 3-4 months ago and I am hooked from that point. It is an outstanding and revolutionary idea. I follow most of the topics and try to understand whatever I can given my non-coding background. However piles of question came into my mind after reading the forums, so created the id and posting them.

Question for this forum is, how do I create my PublicID? And is there any downloadable demo app I can try and play around with to get the basic idea?

Will the public IDā€™s used throughout the Alpha tests be transferable to the Betaā€™s and beyond or will we have to commit a new one later down the road?

Yes - the current version is just being tested.

@sanju there is an app for this. :slight_smile: but you will have to wait until the next public test to try it (the web_hosting-manager)

@VaCrunch all data, including public IDs, is regularly deleted for the time being - we wonā€™t know for sure when it will persist until it does.

The network will not retain data between tests until the Beta - and maybe beyond, so no point in bagging one just yet.

Follow these instructions and youā€™ll have your own local maidsafenet as the testnet is closed for us users at the time being ever since the testnet got attacked.

com.google
org.safenet

I think the public ID is the really valuable part.

Orā€¦ Could doā€¦

www.google
www.safenetforum

Hmmā€¦There is no need for TLD on the SAFE network.
I like it.

Want to be an organisation? use a directory.

www.safenetforum/org/

Maybe all TLDs should be reserved by SAFENet and hard coded to redirect to a subfolders of public IDs.

www.safenetforum.org would redirect to /org
at www.safenetforum/org

Each public ID could have a list of these default directories in the same way we have /desktop /my computer /downloads for personal disk space.

Could help transition from the old internet without the mania of racing to register all current TLD?

.Com .Net .Org itā€™s all legacy stuff :wink:
The best way to ween domain sitters off is to make it not available.

This would mean if you register www.reddit

Each service with public ID would have all the subfolders /com /net /org etcā€¦ and the person registering would ā€œhaveā€ www.reddit.com www.reddit.org www.reddit.net
www.reddit/com/ reddit/org

Not only for www but also for any service they create.
foo.reddit.com

Hope Iā€™ve understood the public ID and service well enough for the above to be possible.

Iā€™m sure it would bring peice of mind to webmasters moving over to SAFENet.

Then ban all TLD as public IDs. That should solve most domain sitting, imitation of current websites.

Edit: Iā€™ve made a pigs ear of the above post. Iā€™ll run through an example.

1. COM NET ORG reserved by the SAFE network, removing them from public ID use.
  2. COM NET ORG subdirectories are placed in every service, hidden so not to clutter the webroot.
  3. Google comes along and registers the public ID google.
  4. They create a service called playstore.
  5. If a casual webrowser types in playstore.google.com they are redirected by the safe browser to,
    playstore.google/com

The google admins would also ownā€¦
safe://playstore.google.org redirected by SAFE browser to safe://playstore.google/org/
safe://playstore.google.net redirected by SAFE browser to safe://playstore.google/net/

Ahā€¦ but what is a user types in safe://google.com I hear you say? A lot of internet users are used to just typing
in the part without www.

Could the safe browser detect that an attempt was maid at a reserved public ID, but then try the service name
as a public id and redirect to a default service www which would flash by on the users browser as follows.

• safe://google.com <ā€” user attempt.
  • safe://www.google.com
    -safe://www.google/com/

I think www should be a default service on every public id.

I really think the above would takeaway some stresses on moving over to safe net.

5 Likes

How about reversing the order of Public ID and Service? Just for aesthetics.

Instead of:
safe://playstore.google
safe://maps.google

Could we have:
safe://google.playstore
safe://google.maps

4 Likes

yeaā€¦ that would work.

You could have a .com service.

A lot simpler too.

Editā€¦ i would still feel happy if then ā€œwwwā€ was reserved, a special case to stop monopolisation.

safe://www.google would then be the equivalent of safe://google.www where www is a default service for each public domain.

?

1 Like

And then thereā€™s also no need for anyone to buy all the other domain names.
Thatā€™s actually a brilliant idea Sascha.

Maidsafe developers, are you reading this?

4 Likes

@Saschaā€™s idea is actually built into the current design. Register your ID and then use subdirectories

I think the www can be dispensed with. There is no functional need for it and its just more useless typing and think of all those poor keyboards with the ā€œWā€ key being broken before the rest.

6 Likes

I didnā€™t know that. I have a two weeks old web hosting manager and it still operates on

• service.publicid

rather than

• publicid.service

I should have said that it should be dispensed and either assumed if just ID used.

Yea I realise that currently it is needed