What’s up today? (Part 1)

It’s little more than a publicity stunt. Was he to file a copyright lawsuit against somebody “infringing” on “his” intellectual property, he would still be required to bring proof he’s the actual owner. Which he can’t, as it has already become abundantly clear, or else he would not need to come up with these distractions in the first place.

2 Likes

Security is hard it even happened to the best tech company for 14 years.

:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Just the way a company’s financials are audited frequently, security audits by independent organizations are a need of the hour. And if mandated by law, a vast majority of security breaches can be avoided .

5 Likes

Who knows what this joker is up to this time, but if he was Nakamoto and finally wanted it validated (after so much self publicity) getting a court to validate it would be a clever move. I have always seen his failed validations as inconclusive - we know Nakamoto wanted anonymity (for very good reason), so claiming to be him and then falling short in very amateur ways is actually a good stratergy to convince people you are not Nakamoto - and Wright has done that several times with great success.

He may of course be doing that again, but given he’s now fighting a court case which depends on him being Nakamoto, getting an independent court to validate his claim would be a good way to roll back the previous smokescreen.

BTW I’m no fan of CW, he blocked me on twitter a long time ago after a few discussions. But I’m still open to the possibility he at least helped invent bitcoin.

2 Likes

Huawei: ARM memo tells staff to stop working with China’s tech giant

What is not yet clear is whether ARM is acting on its own interpretation of the US rules, or whether it has been advised by the Commerce Department.

"If that interpretation is correct, that’s going to affect every semiconductor company in the world,” remarked analyst Lee Ratliff, from IHS Markit.

"They’re not going to be able to easily replace these parts with new, in-house designs - the semiconductor industry in China is nascent.”

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48363772

1 Like

Even his birthday (October 1970) doesn’t match with Satochi’s (5 April 1975).
Hopefully people don’t copy Wright’s copyright attempts.

2 Likes

does it mean that risc-v could get a push if they aren’t allowed to use arm? but i guess risc-v isn’t ready, yet

edit: it seems that huawei is already a risc-v member
edit: but they could just push risc-v on their new os as the default cpu-arch if they are already redoing the os why not also use an other cpu-arch at the same time?

1 Like

I don’t think it would be possible legally (or technically) to outlaw the actual bitcoin chain. The worst he could do is force exchanges to rename it to like bitcoin-classic or something and call his BCHSV fork bitcoin.

It is a sensitive matter because it sort of implies mandatory business secret disclosure to 3rd parties. Though one could argue that security should be implemented independently of business logic etc anyway, so maybe a law like that would help implementing better practices: companies would make sure to separate concerns better so that they wouldn’t reveal business details during security audits… Forgive my scattered thoughts.

1 Like

In a sane world that would require actual proof, one he has repeatedly avoided to provide, we all know why.

That goes against logic. If Craig was Satoshi and he wanted to maintain his anonymity, he couldda just shut the f*** up because there have never been any reasonable claims of him being Satoshi from the outside that he should’ve defused in that weird and roundabout way.

Expecting to lose not just the entire case but all personal credibility in the process? Just to disprove something that nobody had ever seriously considered to be true in the first place? That’s a few steps beyond any reasonably sane person would do. I admit he’s probably not the sharpest knife (he didn’t realize he needed to change the timestamp in his screwed up fake GPG signature, for example) but I don’t think he’s that insane. Or that clever, if that’s how you wanna frame it.

He objectively lacks the necessary domain knowledge. Let me refer you to the screwed up GPG signature I just mentioned, just an example of ignorance about something (“cryptographic signatures include a timestamp”) that nobody who’s familiar with cryptography to the degree Satoshi must’ve been would be able to forget even if they tried. Even more so if we consider timestamps are a part of bitcoin block headers lmao.

2 Likes

A security system is only strong as the weakest link in it, which in this case is human administrators. Therefore an audit would ensure that the right people are doing the right job. It would be beneficial to the companies and the general population in the long run.

6 Likes

I agree with that. At the same time, I don’t think companies would be willing to open up their code base to mandatory audits, and I’m not sure it’s even “right” to assume they should. If it would happen, that would lead to better separation of security and business logic so that “irrelevant” (to security audit) code could be kept private.

Mixing AAA with business logic is probably not good practice, so incentivizing the separation of security-related concerns by putting them under mandatory audit could lead to better quality code. But I’m just thinking aloud.

As for the second article, social engineering can only work if employees / engineers can access stuff they shuldn’t. I agree mandatory security audits of that type of exploits could fix much of that.

2 Likes

Nice one :wink: :+1:

3 Likes

yet another one. :frowning_face:

6 Likes

Here is the CW play.

A representative for Wright has said he will seek to stop the cryptocurrency community from referring to the original token as Bitcoin because it doesn’t currently possess the attributes described in the research paper.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-21/bitcoin-s-supposed-inventor-says-he-won-copyright-registration?srnd=cryptocurrencies

2 Likes

Yep he wants his coin to become bitcoin and thus effective win the coin war. I was pretty sure it was something to do with making his coin a premier coin. Just didn’t see him wanting to become the “real” bitcoin by stealth

2 Likes
6 Likes
2 Likes
  • what’s up today?

the price of MAID :smile:

24 Likes

As evidenced by the number of new posts in the speculation topic in just the last 12 hours (60 or more)

1 Like