What’s up today? (Part 1)

How is that news?

Everything that was brought up against the NSA was underlined with its being done against US citizens (though sometimes they did mention military allies), clearly implying blanket surveillance against random anybody’s from around the world is no problem.

It’s the standard myopic worldview that’s natural to any nation state. However, in the case of the USA it’s problematic because much of the internet is hosted in or by companies from there, so it affects all of us much more than e.g. their immigration policies.

2 Likes

Unfortunately the founding fathers didn’t have the foresight to codify the right of privacy into the constitution. In the case of the first amendment (right to freedom of speech) it is a bit more shocking because our constitution guarantees it as an unalienable right that all men are born with:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

1 Like

I’m not sure it is so. The constitution is that of the USA so it can’t apply to everyone regardless the language used. Also, when we consider history, it’s easy to see the constitution is little more than a cute idea to either hide behind or go around, depending on what’s more convenient at the time.

1 Like

16 languages library of education about different topics related to cryptocurrency:

https://www.binance.vision/playlists

(SAFEnetwork missing)

3 Likes

Binance is really good at this game. Information, education, events and conferences, promos and competions, charity, venture capital, innovation (such as the DEX) and, of course, their main product, the exchange itself. They explore so many different angles around the same general topic. There’s much to learn from these folks.

1 Like

Rust is the “most-loved” programming language for the 4th year in a row:

11 Likes

Anonymity Trilemma: Strong Anonymity, Low Bandwidth Overhead, Low Latency — Choose Two

This work investigates the fundamental constraints of anonymous communication (AC) protocols. We analyze the relationship between bandwidth overhead, latency overhead, and sender anonymity or recipient anonymity against the global passive (network-level) adversary. We confirm the trilemma that an AC protocol can only achieve two out of the following three properties: strong anonymity (i.e., anonymity up to a negligible chance), low bandwidth overhead, and low latency overhead.

We further study anonymity against a stronger global passive adversary that can additionally passively compromise some of the AC protocol nodes. For a given number of compromised nodes, we derive necessary constraints between bandwidth and latency overhead whose violation make it impossible for an AC protocol to achieve strong anonymity. We analyze prominent AC protocols from the literature and depict to which extent those satisfy our necessary constraints. Our fundamental necessary constraints offer a guideline not only for improving existing AC systems but also for designing novel AC protocols with non-traditional bandwidth and latency overhead choices.

1 Like

Bizarre - Craig Wright is suing people who’ve said he’s not Satoshi.

https://twitter.com/PeterMcCormack/status/1116733748794540033

4 Likes

One has to be a real obnoxious idiot to piss off the only people who stand between him and what’s literally the most powerful government on earth right now.

It would be very easy to prove he’s Satoshi if he really is. Should he fail to do so, this case is in the bin in no time. Or, that’s what should happen in a sane world. But Trump is president, so what can I say…

Not smart, but I’m guessing some of these spoiled brat stories are exaggerated so they can be used as an excuse for the arrest.
But indeed in this case one should not focus too much on the actions of (the president of) Ecuador and more on the future actions of the UK and the USA: It Could Be Years Before Julian Assange Steps Foot In The United States.

They needed no excuse to stop harboring him. I have no idea why they did in the end. Maybe they just got fed up with him, but even if it was “high politics” between Ecuador and the US, it would’ve taken more convincing to give him up if he had behaved more like a human.

Yes indeed, the actions of a desperate man. He should see his Psychiatrist rather than his lawyer. Reminds me of these apparently intelligent men who turn around and say they are Jesus, either they snap out of it or it does not end well for them in the long term. Except those people do not usually send out legal demands. Its not really anything a court of law could effectively decide upon except to say no one else is claiming to be that person so named Satoshi.

EDIT: Having read the legal document it is a very smart move. Wright will waive legal action if they publicly acknowledge Wright is Satoshi. This is Wright’s way of using a legal hammer to throne himself as Satoshi without proof that he is Satoshi.

There’s more to this than you seem to be aware of. A new president of Ecuador who has a different political position wrt Assange and the USA, who seems corrupt and trying to curry favour with the USA, on the one hand. The legal position on the other: Ecuador have broken their obligation to Assange under international law.

Whatever we think of the man or his actions, the UK, the USA, Ecuador and I think Sweden have all acted badly and I think the debate I see (not just here) is more about who people want to side with than looking at the law, or indeed the facts.

There’s a principle we should all be careful to preserve, that if someone we don’t like has their basic rights denied, nobody can rely on their rights being worth anything. The attack on human rights in Western democracies troubles me a great deal, not least in the UK. It puts all of us at risk.

14 Likes
2 Likes
14 Likes

Hi @happybeing I get an error when cloning the branch: fatal: repository 'https://github.com/theWebalyst/solid-plume/tree/solid-auth-client-smalinin/' not found

EDIT: looks like you need to grant permission Troubleshooting cloning errors - GitHub Docs

EDIT 2: looks like someone found a solution Solid Plume - simple blog app - #12 by A_A - Solid Information - Solid Community Forum

1 Like

I may have given wrong instructions - maybe you can’t do that at all thinking about it!

Can you try:

git clone https://github.com/theWebalyst/solid-plume
cd solid-plume
git checkout solid-auth-client-smalinin

I shall go and update the instructions as I think that’s the only way. Thanks for reporting it.

2 Likes

Yes those instructions work

Tada!

6 Likes
1 Like

Better Markets Research Study on Ongoing Crime Spree by Wall Street Mega Banks Gets News Blackout: Here’s Why

Better Markets Releases In-Depth Study on Bailout Dollars and Crime Spree of the Wall Street Mega Banks on April 9, 2019

3 Likes