What’s up today?

An USA presidential candidate who might know something about computers:
Special Report: Beto O’Rourke’s secret membership in a legendary hacking group.

0 Likes

Today for the first time (at leas afaik) someone up and downloaded some bytes of data to and from safe (the real alpha 2 network) with highly experimental, unstable and messy code from python :hugs:

Safe for python is coming :heart_eyes: not sure when this will be but there is proof now that it’s possible and we know how to do it :sunglasses: (the only blocker now is the needed time for this…)

20 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now, how can you find the time? Or how can we help you? :wink:

7 Likes

This is amazing :partying_face: You should make your own thread for this, methinks!

Anything we can do to help? There are new FFI documentation pages coming soon which hopefully will be useful! Edit: Saw your comment here, will reply when I have the time to write something substantial :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Aaaah - sorry - yes work and the people around me in my life are kind of demanding atm - but I will see what I can do to push this further as fast as I can since it would be super awesome to have something that works well in the not too distant future :heart_eyes: :hugs:

Ps: =D and yes I opened a topic mentioning this now =D you are right I think it deserves being mentioned :grin::sunglasses:

7 Likes

Oh and of course I want to invite every python developer out there to get involved!

All the code and findings are open source and on github

Feel free to do anything you want and together we can make sure the Internet as it should be will succeed =)

13 Likes

Another lightbulb turns on. Well done.

1 Like

1 Like

Following the heinous Christchurch Mass shooting leaving 50 dead (by a right wing extremist) , various websites such as dissenter.com and zerohedge are currently censored by NZ isps until they are censorship compliant. Facebook is still accessible despite live streaming the video of the attack.

Andy, Christchurch, NZ

1 Like

MAID still offline

0 Likes

Does anybody know which wallet is cryptopia cold storage wallet for MAID? I would like to check whether any MAID was stolen.

0 Likes

Google announced ‘Stadia’ yesterday. Stream games up to 8k on anything with a screen and a Chrome browser, directly from their data centers. “Oof”

:see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

5 Likes

Am I the only one who finds it a strange coincidence it’s been named “Vault”?

1 Like

Scanned through that, still a blockchain tech though.

Vaulting over blocks <- We could use this line in marketing when we go live. Leaps and bounds ahead of the compitition, you to can download and vault over the blocks-- something like that.

2 Likes

More that SAFE has similarities with the @Seneca’s Alt-Coins using obfuscated transaction trees.

3 Likes

Does not strike me as a possible violation of intellectual property, if that’s what your suggesting - but then I don’t know if SAFE or MaidSafe have copyrighted or patented this work.

More to the point for me as a newbie, is there a succinct way of describing in what way SAFE differs from blockchain. In my current heuristic model, I was thinking that the XOR address space was essentially a blockchain analog and that the data in vaults were were a superset of the XOR address.

Am I anywhere near correct?

0 Likes

I agree - there’s all sorts of security software which calls some element a vault. The second part is a lot trickier :wink: I don’t really think SAFE has much in common with blockchains at all really, at least not in the way it works. Both are decentralised and trustless, but blockchain is a way to have a shared ledger where transactions can be traced back to the genesis block, whereas SAFE does not hold immutable ledgers of transactions but instead allows the possibility of data being stored forever. Blockchains are not a good solution for storing data.

What XOR does is randomise the geographical distribution of the data, making it likely that the replicated chunks from a single file will spread over accross contintents, so in the case of a country-wide power outage the file should be recoverable. A chunk’s XOR address is the same as its SHA-256 (I think) hash. Each vault (basically a farmer’s device) looks after those chunks that have an XOR address closest to its own.

1 Like

Thanks again @JPL. It seems my model needs a bit more refinement :thinking: ! I had the idea that an XOR address of a chunk was a hash of its contents. My notion of a hash is based on my use of MD5 and SHA256 type codes for verifying file integrity in of downloads. As I understand it, a hash is a unique representation of a file that is calculated from the file contents. The cool bit with SAFE is that the SHA256 digest then functions as an XOR address for storing and retrieving the chunk from the network. My understanding gets a bit fuzzier when I try to see how it works exactly. Will need to re-read the Primer and the SAFE Network Architecture document a couple more times before it sinks in.

Am I getting closer? :thinking:

0 Likes

Yes you are getting closer. Files have an xor address based on the hash of their contents. Vaults have a random xor address assigned through self authentication to the network. Vaults store files that are ‘close’ to them in xor space. Vaults form groups with other close vaults in xor space to form consensus about network decisions. More important decisions require more vaults to agree. Vaults get moved around occasionally for security.

4 Likes

Thanks Andrew! What a terrific, succinct summary! I’m having a Pygmalion moment - any second now, Henry Higgins is going to start singing, “By George, he’s got it!” :grinning:

2 Likes