What’s up today? (Part 1)

This not only stops fake news spreading… but legitimate news too. Who decides?

4 Likes
2 Likes

I’ve had already encountered the article and I don’t find it says something I didn’t know already. Ok it could be a reminder that realizing a decentralized network won’t be easy, let alone earning a lot of ‘legal’ money with it.
And e.g. to backdoor or not to backdoor, what’s the law? You can’t do both at the same time.
FYI: encryption law for each country: World map of encryption laws and policies | Global Partners Digital.

1 Like
2 Likes

A few of us enjoyed the read. It has some good ideas but also is a certain opinion. I am not sure I buy all of it, but some very good points such as tech and political decentralisation etc.

4 Likes

The bit I found most interesting was how he felt governance should be defined by an elected team of sorts. This reminds me of the maidsafe foundation and how it chooses the teams which receive direct funding for development (maidsafe being the only one initially).

I think this has the benefit of giving power to a team to drive their opinion forward. If that opinion goes out of favour, either the team can adapt or be replaced. This gives a strong mandate for the team to work to their own plan and deliver their vision of what needs to be done.

Of course, you can still have forks and competing software running further up the stack, but empowering the core SAFENetwork development team to forge ahead will keep things moving forward, IMO. It has similarities with how the UK parliament works too, but without the forced subscription (you can use a fork or nothing at all, etc).

2 Likes
4 Likes

Looks like uBlock Origin is in danger on Chromium:

If this (quite limited) declarativeNetRequest API ends up being the only way content blockers can accomplish their duty, this essentially means that two content blockers I have maintained for years, uBlock Origin (“uBO”) and uMatrix, can no longer exist.

8 Likes

Black Mirror is real more than we might think

4 Likes

And a big problem for those who think this is good, as an ABC 4 Corners report shows many chinese are happy, will think twice when what was good for their score in 2019 turns bad when the government decides that some previous OK behaviour is bad and their score drops. This scoring system has the potential for so many bad things happening.

Of course as all governments do, they will ignore the people who are falsely disadvantaged or falsely home imprisoned by this social score system. The 4 corners report showed that some people whose score drops below a certain level cannot then buy tickets on transport that will take them further than a certain distance from their home.

7 Likes

I get what you mean but I can’t shake the feeling it’s almost as if somebody could be justly disadvantaged or home imprisoned :rofl:

Well the courts feel justified doing it to criminals.

I assumed it in the context of the social score system of China. Though one could argue if the Chinese government decided it wields the same power as a court, then that’s how it is.

1 Like

Based on Cryptopia list of stolen tokens and coins, there is not any single MAID stolen.

Total list (Name/Amount/Value) :

https://github.com/elementus-io/cryptopia-hack/blob/master/README.md

SAFE Browser v0.11.1 has just been release! Check out the changelog for more info as always and feel free to ping us any questions you may have. Or better yet, join the live conversation with Josh and Gabriel tomorrow and ask them directly
https://github.com/maidsafe/safe_browser/releases/tag/0.11.1

17 Likes

Wow China turning into one of those evil movies on a really quick timeline

Not sure why they relate it to Grindr lol, maybe they meant tinder? :joy::rofl:

3 Likes

Then maybe someone should make an app for the debtor that gives a warning if a creditor is approaching for his money, because I doubt this app will be working bidirectional.

3 Likes

Looks like WeChat is as bad as Facebook etc for privacy, or maybe even much worse. Seems to be the root of this issue in the story

2 Likes