What’s up today?

A year ago this kind of news would have sent BTC into space.

Julia Reda - German´s European Parliament member says:

Article 13 is almost finished – and it will change the internet as we know it

https://juliareda.eu/2019/01/article-13-almost-finished/

It is fubar. This isn’t for the common person. It is for the big corporations. My only hope is that it is impossible to enforce.

I’m afraid that’s not how it works. Companies can’t afford to be liable so all it takes is enforcing the law a few times and everybody will fall in line. Of course, this will depend on the fines. Banks have been disregarding laws for a long time because it’s still more profitable to pay up the few times they are caught publicly enough that they can’t bribe themselves out of it than to refuse to serve the cartel or a dictator. I’m just not so sure YouTube covers or fanart are similarly profitable.

It seems Article 13 isn’t going so smoothly:

Sample of decentralized search engine for thepiratebay run on IPFS
https://torrentfreak.com/torrent-paradise-creates-decentralized-pirate-bay-with-ipfs-190120/?fbclid=IwAR2SRIcB-_iEWADfPQVfnmKcNKsNdDX6NAh9YJxHzk2JO8rrUpXcocz0pBU

:stuck_out_tongue:

:expressionless:

10 weeks. The yellow vest protests are still going on.

I don’t think I could wear a yellow vest in any European capital city now without feeling uncomfortable about it or getting attention from the police. You couldn’t pay me enough.

“An organic movement by the people with no central leadership” - meat space.

A distributed protest.

SAFENetwork, the distributed organic internet with no central leadership or control, is going to shake things up in digital space.

This not only stops fake news spreading… but legitimate news too. Who decides?

Everyone should read this. There is a lot of wisdom related to SafeNet project.

I’ve had already encountered the article and I don’t find it says something I didn’t know already. Ok it could be a reminder that realizing a decentralized network won’t be easy, let alone earning a lot of ‘legal’ money with it.
And e.g. to backdoor or not to backdoor, what’s the law? You can’t do both at the same time.
FYI: encryption law for each country: https://www.gp-digital.org/world-map-of-encryption/.

A few of us enjoyed the read. It has some good ideas but also is a certain opinion. I am not sure I buy all of it, but some very good points such as tech and political decentralisation etc.

The bit I found most interesting was how he felt governance should be defined by an elected team of sorts. This reminds me of the maidsafe foundation and how it chooses the teams which receive direct funding for development (maidsafe being the only one initially).

I think this has the benefit of giving power to a team to drive their opinion forward. If that opinion goes out of favour, either the team can adapt or be replaced. This gives a strong mandate for the team to work to their own plan and deliver their vision of what needs to be done.

Of course, you can still have forks and competing software running further up the stack, but empowering the core SAFENetwork development team to forge ahead will keep things moving forward, IMO. It has similarities with how the UK parliament works too, but without the forced subscription (you can use a fork or nothing at all, etc).

Looks like uBlock Origin is in danger on Chromium:

If this (quite limited) declarativeNetRequest API ends up being the only way content blockers can accomplish their duty, this essentially means that two content blockers I have maintained for years, uBlock Origin (“uBO”) and uMatrix, can no longer exist.

Black Mirror is real more than we might think