What’s up today? (Part 1)

200TB :partying_face:

7 Likes

Looks like we have reached the level this Russian gentleman was talking about. Is it okay to post this quote or has he been deleted from history for being Russian?

6 Likes

Obviously not deleted LOL

But you may wish to fact check quotes since most supposed quotes from people are false and just whatever the poster wanted to say with t he authority of some dead famous person.

Check this and see what you think الصفحة الرئيسية | مسبار WTF I didn’t put that text for the link, the title is Quote About Tolerance and Intelligent People is Misattributed to Dostoevsky

Basically the article says it was made up quote

While there are many famous quotes that can be attributed to Dostoevsky, this is not one of them. The same quote first appeared years earlier on social media sites with Russian text. Early versions started popping up in 2019 and didn’t include any attribution.

A Reddit thread from 2019 asked native Russian speakers to translate the quote into English without ever mentioning the famous Russian novelist. In 2021, the quote resurfaced in English and began including the false attribution to Dostoevsky.

Does this reduce the impact of the quote knowing some unknown Russian speaking person created it a few years ago? If so then the quote is not as impactful as it should be.

6 Likes

Twitter could use your fact-checking ability.

4 Likes

Yep totally - ignore the sheep and the cancel culture they have unthinkingly adopted.

Top fact-checking @neo, whether a genuine quote, an aphorism or whatever, these are powerful words we would all do well to think about.

4 Likes

Michael Malice interview with Alex Jones dropped today … posted in watch this video.

Not for me. Don’t have to be a famous novelist to speak wise words. Do you think it makes the quote any less relevant that it wasn’t a novelist that said it?

3 Likes
2 Likes

Take that Facebook

5 Likes

Do you think it makes the quote any less relevant if Donald Trump or Boris Johnson had said it?

And they want everyone driving electric cars :joy: how’s that going to work? The infrastructure simply isn’t capable.

1 Like

Solar panels.

1 Like

Even silly sausages speak sense sometimes. Like when trump said Germany shouldn’t rely on Russian gas and was laughed at. It’s down to you as an individual to decide whether something someone has said is relevant or not :+1:t2:

2 Likes

At face value source matters because that allows people to attach veracity points to the statement based on the veracity points he/she attributes to the source. In a concerted, well-researched deep-dive of the subject matter source doesn’t matter, but most people resort to face plants.

1 Like

Was Apple forced to do this via some law? I’m surprised that they didn’t just go to facebook and negotiate a cut of the revenue!

1 Like

I try not to complicate it to much. Do you have a system for attaching/subtracting veracity points to sources?

Hey … at least it’s working :grinning:

8 Likes

I believe, at first, everyone does this subconsciously. It’s only after a period of reflection that the initial response is modified. No reflection, no modification.

2 Likes

So on reflection was trump right that Germany should not become reliant on Russian gas?

On face value, I question anything Donald Trump says. On reflection, no matter who says it, Germany should not become reliant on Russian gas.

4 Likes