What’s up today? (Part 1)

2 Likes

This made me laugh (out loud). Which kind are you?

6 Likes

SAFE and Solid: the internet as it should be by @pierrechevalier83, very interesting reading!

12 Likes

Vlad Zamfir from the ethereum fundation released their latest paper on the Casper CBC familly of consensus protocols: cbc-casper-paper/cbc-casper-paper-draft.pdf at master · cbc-casper/cbc-casper-paper · GitHub

9 Likes

Open Secure-K OS a live USB operating system with kernel update functionality. They open sourced this technology (liveng) recently.

2 Likes

From the CBC Casper paper. “Work on liveness, validator strategies for making consensus messages, and for preventing denial of service attacks is ongoing. Furthermore, work of parametrizing penalties and rewards for security-deposit based proof-of-stake is in relatively early stages.“

As cool as it is, SAFE has already got secure message relay, sharding (disjoint sections), and Sybil resistance fleshed out and coded up. Not to mention (as far as I understand it) PARSEC has much less overhead than Nakamoto consensus since PARSEC is gossip based. DAG yo :sunglasses:
Maidsafe should be proud.

22 Likes

Related:
https://thestack.com/data-centre/2018/10/12/leaked-document-reveals-exact-locations-of-amazon-data-centres/

1 Like

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/3/1/9/31958266d017a61f/TalkingCryptocurrency_076.mp3?c_id=24672563&cs_id=24672563&destination_id=786544&expiration=1541426956&hwt=41878dc7a9f814fe7d65a5603fc19004

Talking Cryptocurrency Podcast - Dug Campbell

11 Likes

EDIT:

Winning.

1 Like

ft.com, Monday, 5 November 2018:

Facebook and Google sign up to Tim Berners-Lee ‘contract’

Facebook and Google have signed up to new internet standards designed by world wide web founder Tim Berners-Lee, who said just last week that the companies may have to be broken up to reduce their dominance.

The “contract for the web” will require internet companies to respect data privacy and “support the best in humanity”, after a year in which they have faced unprecedented criticism for data privacy scandals and the spread of fake news, hate speech and online abuse.

“Those of us who are online are seeing our rights and freedoms threatened,” Sir Tim will say at the Web Summit tech conference in Lisbon on Monday evening. “We need a new contract for the web, with clear and tough responsibilities for those who have the power to make it better.

”Nearly 60 companies, governments and business leaders have signed up to the contract, including Facebook, Google, the French government and billionaire Richard Branson. Amazon, one of the “huge companies” named in a report published alongside the contract, has not signed up.

Link: Principles for a Contract for the Web

2 Likes

First cross blockchain dex

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@dugcampbell at 10:26 in the Talking Cryptocurrency Podcast I believe what the interviewer was asking was whether sites or content on SAFE can be dynamic as in, sites that have animations, moving bits, basically the fancy sites we see today, compared to a static site like Wikipedia where all the content and links sit statically on the page. SAFE’s DOM API allows for dynamic content. I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure that’s what he’s asking.

Either way, great interview. I liked that you dug into how the apps are mostly just windows to view the data. I wonder if there is a good analogy there for how, as the user, you control what filters the window (app) has to mutate the landscape (data) behind the window.

4 Likes

Thanks @Nigel - no worries, you’re bang on, the question seems very obvious now to me! Alas, it was a bit of a nightmare podcast to record (no slight on the interviewer whatsoever I have to say) - had my signal dropping a few times during the call, missed the questions a couple of times, stumbled a bit over a couple of explanations and overall not my finest performance! :no_mouth: Ah well, practice makes perfect :slight_smile: Thanks for the feedback, really useful :+1:

14 Likes

@dugcampbell Good attitude Dug! They can’t all be zingers, eh? Haha. I’ve had my share of stumbles too. We all have. Keep up the great work :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You covered the overview very well of all different parts. When mentioning Safecoin I think it is of critical importance that you also mention that right now only maidsafecoin exist. If anyone google Safecoin the first 2 results points to that other Komodo copy project which is right now selling their Safecoins on their komodo copy safe-exchange. If anyone search for Safecoin on youtube than almost all results are for that komodo copy project (safe-exchange).

2 Likes

I will say it though :grin:
The hosts delivery was almost robotic it made me tense I can’t imagine having a nice fluid easy conversation with the guy.
Basically practice makes perfect applies to the host here more than you in my opinion.

2 Likes

17 posts were merged into an existing topic: Are Erasure Codes (Storj) better than Replication for the SAFE network?

2 Likes