What’s up today? (Part 1)

Meanwhile…

7 Likes

It’s Robert and Gerald mostly talking about their personal history and general beliefs.

They are both doomsayers, so yes that’s part of what they always talk about. I’ve seen a lot of video’s of both of them going way back and while I like both of them - I think their hearts are in the right place; they have historically always been predicting bad news.

A broken clock is right twice a day and sooner or later (probably sooner) they will be right too.

That’s no really fair man. A lot of people wouldn’t have come across them before.

While what’s been going on politically in many states of Australia is pretty bad, IMO the rest of the other governments of the world aren’t too far away realistically. The US is definitely in the best position due to the 2nd Amendment. So sh!t-holes all around IMO.

1 Like

Booooom!! The Tonga eruption.

3 Likes

I can see the future headlines now – “Elon Musk to replace chip-based AI in self-driving cars with goldfish brain-in-a-box for full self-driving in 2025.”

In other news:

These are scary graphs. It seems the energy consumption of PoW tracks price pretty closely, primarily, I guess, because as the price rises more miners get on board. Given that BTC and ETH will be using PoW for the foreseeable future there is trouble ahead, not just because of the environmental impact of emissions and ewaste, but also because some countries like Iceland and Kosovo are experiencing power shortages because of cryptomining.

2 Likes

Simplistic view: pressure on energy supply causes miners to seek cheaper sources and efficiencies, where this fails to mitigate energy costs, the result is higher fees until reductions in transaction numbers or other factors (eg miners leaving) rebalance things.

So it doesn’t seem like an existential threat, but something that will evolve and impact use cases, mining locations etc over time.

2 Likes

It also drives energy production/development - even and possibly especially renewables as it can work better with solar, etc. than other power sinks because it can simply be turned off when the price goes up in peak or off-cycle periods. This lends itself to being a stable income source for energy producers - some of which wouldn’t take the risk of development otherwise.

It’s too easy IMO to take the glass-half-empty with PoW. Energy is abundant on Earth and we really only tap a little of it. What drives new development is demand.

2 Likes

UK government planning “manipulative” propaganda campaign against private communications.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/revealed-uk-government-publicity-blitz-to-undermine-privacy-encryption-1285453/

5 Likes

It’s not too surprising anymore is it. Kinda like, well duh, of course they will do that. Disgusting that’s it’s all come so far so fast.

3 Likes

Germany wanting to ban telegram

3 Likes

PoST is very cheap energy wise.
For POW fees will rise and usage drop I’d imagine, no big problem.

Im guessing they will use the same ad agency they used for Covid. Worked a treat for that :woozy_face:

1 Like

Nudge unit to be redeployed I see. Time is running out for this project. Not because it can’t be done but because soon they won’t allow it

They never learn that banning things just stifles progress. We really need an entry exam for politicans

Or maybe a psychopath test would be more useful or is that just the cabinet?

1 Like

Another tweet by Jan, this looks cool for monitoring all our systems:

6 Likes

Ganglia is what I’ve used in the past. Pretty easy but graphics are not as pretty.

1 Like

Worrying to see. So many people rely on centralized email services and with State actors going after e2e encryption, just a matter of time before they force those to shut down or turn off e2e.

I suppose the main difference between a normal messaging app and email is that there is a storage server in-between. I wonder if post-beta SN could have an in-built email/messenger client and/or a SN plugin for existing email clients? Perhaps emails can be sent as part of the network’s caching abilities?

3 Likes

Glenn Greenwald on the deportation yesterday of Novak Djokovic.

2 Likes

Single point of failure…

1 Like

The War on Our Privacy…

… is a war on autonomy, on souls…

Great Firewall Blocking seemingly random traffic…

3 Likes
8 Likes