What’s up today? (Part 1)

Most people have always been and will always be vulnerable to their governments. No Safenet in the world is going to change that. The government can outlaw encryption like in China, or simply have their troopers keep you in a cage until you give up your passwords like they do at US airports. There isn’t even any need for waterboarding or “enhance-interrogating”. Or they can just come over to your house and shoot you in the face, like in Russia or Germany or Democratic Kampuchea or wherever at certain time periods.

Safenet will be nice to have for as long as the part of the world you happen to live in stays relatively “civilized”. Those times come and go in cycles. In a Mad Max/Tina Turner world (or, say, Afghanistan that has been bombed back to the stone age by either the USSR or the USA) nobody cares about luxuries like Safenet.

2 Likes

https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/2018/09/20/at-this-high-tech-farm-the-boss-is-an-ai-powered-algorithm#gs.lcNi=vo

4 Likes

A move that will surely harm smaller platforms, wrapping them in red tape while the big monopolies continue to thrive.

5 Likes

Well, they liked to burn books in ww2 to stop people reading anything other than their propaganda. Even if inaccessible or dangerous to access, at least that data will remain preserved and accessible by the brave.

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right, the keywords being “preserved” and “the brave”. In my reply above I focused on the words “most people” and “vulnerable”.

2 Likes

About backdoors, If I understand correctly, if you want to be vertically safe you need:
Network (SAFE)
Routing (Mesh)
and…we ll also need proprietary open-source hardware at some point.

4 Likes

Quite the opposite. We need open hardware

3 Likes

Right that’s what I meant but couldn’t express it correctly

6 Likes
           WhatsUpToday
3 Likes

LOL Eric Schmidt, we know that it will be split into 3 #SAFENetwork

:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes
2 Likes

This is simply amazing

3 Likes

@joshuef I’m not sure if any of this is relevant to SAFE Browser design for security, but I mention you in case the points about electron, Chrome, Chromium etc are of value.

It’s an interesting thread regardless, involving Brendon Eich and one of his tech guys (of Brave).

3 Likes

Related blog post
Why I’m done with Chrome – A Few Thoughts on Cryptographic Engineering

3 Likes
1 Like

And another comical example of some culture/language based censorship by one of the big American internet giants: Facebook bans election candidate.

1 Like

If they can’t go after you for the thing they don’t like about your activities, they frame you or make up something, e.g. sexual assault allegations. The British powers that be destroy lives more subtly, but those days are close to the end…this year.

Remember, Remember…

Image result for keep calm and qanon

Indeed not an easy task.

(I work for Purism but not on freeing the bootloader - but I do follow that work with interest).

More realistically in China however, than buying american bootloader-freed laptops, is the option of running cheap ARM-based devices instead - e.g. Pinebook: Pinebook - Wikipedia

3 Likes

Jenga: Special Babylon Edition.

Been living in that world in Australia for a number of decades now. We can even be taken to court because an officer heard us swearing. Its not the swearing that is illegal but that someone could hear us.

Nothing new about that really. They have been doing that for centuries.

And to make it easier there have been a number of laws introduce that means they do not need trumped up charges, everyone in AU is a crime doer of some sort. Even the Country Woman’s Association can have its members arrested with the association laws in our state and the others are similar.

What is new is the ease they can do it now.

But if they tried on the Maidsafe team then they still have not stopped development on SAFE. But in addition to what I said they have not done it to a team developing a protocol either. History can teach us much and help to dispel many conspiracy theories.

1 Like