What’s up today?

They couldn’t access anything on SAFE without your id and secret key. But if they can install software onto your computer, they can theoretically “watch” everything you type (including that secret key).

But again, they won’t be keyboard logging billions of people. You’ll have to draw their notice first.

High risk type folks will take steps to not be key-logged, perhaps using dongles of some sort to log in. But again, I’m talking about regular folks.

I am just a regular folk (whatever that is) but maybe just being associated with an associate of a non regular folk would be enough to get me put on that list so I will not be taking any chances.

I agree with @thc, it’s the bulk surveillance with the possibility of cross matching multiple datasets to infer behaviour (see this very scary video ^^ What’s up today?) that’s the really dangerous thing. This won’t be possible on SAFE to nearly the same degree. Even if some government could hack every endpoint, extracting each users data and piecing it all together into the same sort of giant datasets just wouldn’t be feasible. That’s the real strength of decentralisation - all data is held in its own self-contained bubble rather than stored in a few central repositories.

That said, this wouldn’t surprise me either, particularly somewhere like China where using a VPN can land you in jail. For this reason it’s important that SAFE traffic remains indistinguishable from other traffic.

These really are frightening times we are heading into. How long before a ministry of truth is constructed somewhere around the world? Or is it already here with the “jail” city mentioned in @19eddyjohn75 video

Most people have always been and will always be vulnerable to their governments. No Safenet in the world is going to change that. The government can outlaw encryption like in China, or simply have their troopers keep you in a cage until you give up your passwords like they do at US airports. There isn’t even any need for waterboarding or “enhance-interrogating”. Or they can just come over to your house and shoot you in the face, like in Russia or Germany or Democratic Kampuchea or wherever at certain time periods.

Safenet will be nice to have for as long as the part of the world you happen to live in stays relatively “civilized”. Those times come and go in cycles. In a Mad Max/Tina Turner world (or, say, Afghanistan that has been bombed back to the stone age by either the USSR or the USA) nobody cares about luxuries like Safenet.

A move that will surely harm smaller platforms, wrapping them in red tape while the big monopolies continue to thrive.

Well, they liked to burn books in ww2 to stop people reading anything other than their propaganda. Even if inaccessible or dangerous to access, at least that data will remain preserved and accessible by the brave.

You’re absolutely right, the keywords being “preserved” and “the brave”. In my reply above I focused on the words “most people” and “vulnerable”.

About backdoors, If I understand correctly, if you want to be vertically safe you need:
Network (SAFE)
Routing (Mesh)
and…we ll also need proprietary open-source hardware at some point.

Quite the opposite. We need open hardware

Right that’s what I meant but couldn’t express it correctly

WhatsUpToday

LOL Eric Schmidt, we know that it will be split into 3 #SAFENetwork

:stuck_out_tongue:

https://www.ccn.com/bitcoin-core-vulnerability-would-have-allowed-miners-to-inflate-the-btc-supply/

This is simply amazing

@joshuef I’m not sure if any of this is relevant to SAFE Browser design for security, but I mention you in case the points about electron, Chrome, Chromium etc are of value.

It’s an interesting thread regardless, involving Brendon Eich and one of his tech guys (of Brave).

Related blog post
https://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2018/09/23/why-im-leaving-chrome/