What’s up today? (Part 1)

Blockchain would be a reasonable solution for keeping a ledger of inter bank transactions. They need only to solve the forever increasing size of the blockchain. Of course being a highly regulated arena they could simply have monthly or yearly blockchains. Each bank keeps a copy and the regulatory bodies keep one too.

2 Likes

Alos, banks traditionally have have lots of legacy batch processing systems, often from multiple inherited systems. I suspect a blockchain would help to integrate some of these systems, while maintaining loose coupling between them.

3 Likes

I still don’t understand why. Just as you said, banks are a “highly regulated arena” so I can’t find the part where nobody can trust anybody, which is the problem blockchains solve.

1 Like

Banks are generally interested in private blockchains, where only they and their partner organisations can participate, so it’s not really a trustless system at all, rather one that records transactions in a way that all participants agree on.

1 Like

Well each bank has to keep a ledger of these transactions and a blockchain would solve the trust issue and one bank cannot claim “computer glitch” for not processing a transaction and other such garbage that goes on today. Usually so the unethical bank can play with the money on the money market till the sending bank complains (ie customer complains and 5 days later something is done)

Anyhow this was just a suggestion of why they might be considering (private to the banking system) blocakchains. Not that it is a perfect solution for it and that it should be used for that.

1 Like

Weren’t we talking about interbank transactions? I’m highly skeptical banks ever claim “oh sorry we didn’t notice” or “we had a computer glitch” to other banks. It’s not kindergarten.

This is already solved though… Anyway, I’ll leave it at that. Blockchains are cool so let the children play.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a solution looking for a problem in most cases.

4 Likes

I once sent my father a cheque to pay my mortgage. Only 2 or 3 yrs ago now. It was for under £500. Somehow my balance reduced by 20,000 and i was in the red for 19500 ish.
After calling them it was all fixed, but they tried to claim it was processed properly and was my error.
So, they clearly do mess up.

1 Like

Not to mention the 7 days waiting on some interbank transfers. And sometimes worse if cheques are from different banks.

I’ve also had money withdrawn from my account and redeposited days later. “Bank Error” that they automatically fixed up before I got my monthly statement. The way it happened I suspect that a wrong account number was entered by the teller when processing someone elses transfer and not the bank dipping into my funds.

1 Like

Neither of these fall under the kind of interbank transactions that that blockchain solution would be about. Unless I’m badly mistaken, that would be about the periodic settlements between banks, not small time transactions between accounts held at those banks by customers.

Compare this to an airline. They will not include their passenger manifest when they pay for the fuel.

A judge has ruled that U.S. securities laws cover ICOs

1 Like

The new approach could even pave the way for “100 percent self-sufficiency in power, heat, and water, and 50 percent self-sufficiency in food production”

:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Tomorrow is an important day in the EU about the future of internet.
https://www.google.com/search?q=EU+internet+vote&client=firefox-b&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:d&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjIpI-I0bPdAhXGzaQKHWscBa0QpwUIHw&biw=1680&bih=924

Let’s ‘spam’ some articles about the SAFE Network :grin:

Settlement between banks in different jurisdictions may be an interesting use case. Wiring money to different countries is still pretty slow and expensive… or at least it was when I was wiring money from the UK to Japan back in the mtgox days! IIRC, it cost £50 and took about a (nail biting) week.

You’re not paying for the cost of sending that money overseas. You’re paying a fee because they can charge you a fee. That fee won’t magically disappear because they switch to The Magical Blockchain (which, by the way, is less efficient than whatever they have now). Interbank settlements won’t be quicker because a blockchain based solution has nothing to it that could make them quicker.

IBM is investigating solutions for any part of banking. The record keeping I suggest is but one possibility. And it is after all investigating IF a problem can be found that a blockchain could possibly be sold to “solve”. So in many respects I think we mostly agree that its unlikely to be of any real use to a bank or banking system.

2 Likes

Guys if you wanna release safenetwork you have to do it fast. I am little bit worried in which direction this all goes…

Is it possible that the whole maidsafe team gets arrested for what they are doing?

1 Like

Maybe It’s the point to use safenetwork and It’s good for all of us

2 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

So true. To quote @JPL, it’s …

1 Like